Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #941
dccraft

Default Re: What are you reading?

Union 1812 by A.J. Langguth.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #942
Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Doctor View Post
Currently reading The Great Hunt. The second book in the Wheel of Time Series. I'm also reading Puppies for Dummies because I just got a puppy and was a little lost for a bit there.
I'm curious what you think of The Wheel of Time so far? I've been considering reading it but I'm a little worried about getting started. Some say the latter books get very dull up until Brandon Sanderson took it over after Jordan's death. Others say that the series is fantastic and well worth the read of 10+ books.

The only other series I have invested that much time in was The Sword of Truth at 11 books. At times it seemed to drone on and on but overall I was glad that I read it.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:44 AM   #943
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I'm curious what you think of The Wheel of Time so far? I've been considering reading it but I'm a little worried about getting started. Some say the latter books get very dull up until Brandon Sanderson took it over after Jordan's death. Others say that the series is fantastic and well worth the read of 10+ books.

The only other series I have invested that much time in was The Sword of Truth at 11 books. At times it seemed to drone on and on but overall I was glad that I read it.
Depends upon what kind of stories you like.

I like epic fantasy. By epic I mean, big, complex plot, lots of story lines, lots of characters and depth, many books. I think Wheel of Time is one of the best if not the best in that category.

If you start now, you might finish with book twelve by the time books 13 and 14 are out

(Sanderson has stated that books 13 (Towers of Midnight) and 14 (A Memory of Light) will be out much faster than Jordan typically released his books -- 2 years. Right now 13 is due out in October)

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #944
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Super FreakaNomics - by Levitt and Dubner

The stats and economics behind human motivations basically. Wickedly funny satire even though that is not the intention.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:50 AM   #945
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Matthew
Trading: (4)
paris1129 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Depends upon what kind of stories you like.

I like epic fantasy. By epic I mean, big, complex plot, lots of story lines, lots of characters and depth, many books. I think Wheel of Time is one of the best if not the best in that category.

If you start now, you might finish with book twelve by the time books 13 and 14 are out

(Sanderson has stated that books 13 (Towers of Midnight) and 14 (A Memory of Light) will be out much faster than Jordan typically released his books -- 2 years. Right now 13 is due out in October)
Sounds interesting. I've picked up the first 4 books of the series based on your recommendation. I look forward to checking these out!

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
paris1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #946
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Jordan's writing is very immersive. Sometimes that means reading a page or six about the latest fashions in Ebou Dar. Also, as the series went on, it picked up sub-plots involving dozens of minor characters from the various factions. Sanderson (working partially from Jordan's notes) has started to wrap some of these
up in The Gathering Storm.
Quote:
I got as far as Faith Of The Fallen in SoT. Someday I'll have to reread the series. Lots of interesting parallels: Rand as The Dragon Reborn/Richard as a war wizard, Moiraine/Kahlan, Aes Sedai/Sisters of the Light, Seanchan/Jagad, the Stone of Tear/Stone of Tears.
Quote:
Supposedly, the last two books are due in 2010 and 2011. Hopefully the dates don't slip.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #947
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Just a little light reading for me now: Krafft-Ebing's Psychopathia Sexualis. Hoping to pick up a few pointers.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #948
Beer Doctor

Quote:

So far it's great. I was looking for a series that had a lot of content and would take awhile to complete. I like to immerse myself in the author's world and so far I can't complain. I wish I had more time to read so I could get through the books faster! I also love the way Jordan writes. I'd recommend giving it a try
Old 05-12-2010, 07:48 AM   #949
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Just finished Day By Day Armageddon by JL Bourne. Great journal-style zombie book. Very engaging.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #950
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I'm reading Sh*t my dad Says...funny stuff.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #951
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Finally found 2 books I read as a kid. Been looking for them for years but they were out of print, finally found them on Ebay (of course!)

Genesis and Revelation by W.A. Harbinson.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #952
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Ian Rankin's The black book, a detective
Old 05-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #953
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Passionate Conviction: Contemporary Discourses on Christian Apologetics by Paul Copan, William Lane Craig, N. T. Wright, and Norman Geisler
Old 05-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #954
ABNMP619

Halfway through this book No Angel by Jay Dobyns. It is about an undercover DEA agent who infiltrates the Hells Angels. Pretty good read.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #955
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

The Devil's Punchbowl by Greg Iles.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #956
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
I'm reading Sh*t my dad Says...funny stuff.
You should check out the Twitter account shitmydadsays... Pretty funny stuff

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #957
leasingthisspace

I just read a bit about this....
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14697685?source=most_viewed
Really sad stuff.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #958
Walt

Thanks for all the info on The Wheel of Time. I've got a pretty hefty stack of books to read as it is but I think I'm going to add the first Box Set of WoT to it for future reading. I checked the Wikipedia page to get some story (and not spoilers) and the premise seems interesting.

I think my book buying has gotten almost as bad as my cigar buying..... lol
Old 05-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #959
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
You should check out the Twitter account shitmydadsays... Pretty funny stuff
I know, that's how I found out about it. The book has some much funnier detailed stories.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #960
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

The Path of the Just by Rav. Luzzato
At the Mountains of Madness by H. P. Lovecraft

after Lovecraft, I might start The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan