Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2010, 04:23 AM   #1
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Mac Or PC

Ok, My Friends. I Need To Buy A New Desktop Computer For My Office. I Already Have A Notebook PC. I've Always Used A PC, But, As Most Of You Know, I'm Not Very "Tech Savy"!

I Want A Simple Computer That Doesn't Freeze Up Or Cause Problems. I Basically Use A Computer For Surfing The Web, Pictures, & The Main Reason, Bantering On CA! I've Heard That Dell's Customer Support Has Gone Downhill, So I'm Leaning Toward HP If I Go The PC Route. I Also Want A Free Standing, All In One Computer With No Cords Or Wires Running All Over The Room.
Thanks For Your Advice, My Friends!

Greg
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
jaydub13
aka Little Pickle

First Name: Jason
Trading: (5)
Partagas
jaydub13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mac Or PC

Well a Mac certainly fits the bill, but they sure are pricey... I would have gone with one for my notebook, but I went HP, and am quite happy with it. Price was the main reason for that. I really don't have anything bad to say about Mac. They are clean, easy to use, streamlined computers. BUT, for half the cost, you can get a very nice PC, with equal or better performance. I say go PC and spend the difference on cigars!
jaydub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:02 AM   #3
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub13 View Post
Well a Mac certainly fits the bill, but they sure are pricey... I would have gone with one for my notebook, but I went HP, and am quite happy with it. Price was the main reason for that. I really don't have anything bad to say about Mac. They are clean, easy to use, streamlined computers. BUT, for half the cost, you can get a very nice PC, with equal or better performance. I say go PC and spend the difference on cigars!
Jason: Does HP Have One That's All In One & Basically Cordless? Is Windows 7 Much Better Than Windows XP?
Thanks!
Old 04-10-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
jaydub13
aka Little Pickle

First Name: Jason
Trading: (5)
Partagas
jaydub13 is on a distinguished road

I did some looking, and here is one.

I loved XP, and was skeptical of Windows 7, but after using it, I'm a pretty big fan. The only things I didnt love were the programs that HP installed(damn bloatware) but those were easy to kick to the curb. It runs quick, is very slick to use, and I haven't had a single issue in the last 5 months. Good enough for me. I think as far as a GUI goes, it is superior to XP, and the functionality is there as well. If it's free(which it should be) gofer it. If you have to pay, well, XP is tried and true. But I wouldnt hesitate to pull the trigger on Windows 7.
jaydub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:21 AM   #5
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

Hey Greg. My first choice would be a Mac.
But my Father-in-Law was just in the market for a new PC, with similar needs as yours.

He bought this. It seems to have gotten decent reviews on Cnet and Amazon.
He likes it. he has mounted to the back of his monitor, but also with an HDMI to his Flat screen tv. comes with cordless mouse/keyboard Major downside is no optical drive.

It does have a built in wireless, so it will hook up to your home wi fi. basically the only cords you would need are for the power and the monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AspireRev...ref=pd_cp_pc_1
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:28 AM   #6
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Thanks, Jason & Tony!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #7
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Windows 7 rocks and the near unlimited RAM capacity allows you to setup a PC that will give you 4+ years of service without being too slow near the end of life.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

I like MicroCenter and Newegg..
MicroCenter has great deals on HP reburbished models.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0332780
Old 04-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Greg,

I think I can give you some good information on this as I just had to make this decision. I've always used PC's, and it came time for me to get a new computer, however I was looking for a laptop. Like you, my computer is mainly used for pictures, web browsing, small file editing, etc. Anyways, my wife has a Windows 7 laptop and a lot of my friends have MacBook's. While I was a little scared on getting a whole new OS, I decided to go with the MacBook Pro. I haven't looked back since. It's VERY easy to learn, in-fact, it's so easy that it's a little complicated at first because everything is so simple, lol. It's extremely fast and the photo editing is fantastic. No lock ups, no viruses, nothing, just pure computing bliss, lol. I also got Parallel's and loaded Windows XP SP2 and can run it in a window right on OSX and run any Windows program. Ultimately though, I rarely use it. OSX has almost everything I need. Plus, if you don't want all the cords, etc, the new iMac's are right up your alley. I haven't regretted my decision one bit.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26039
Old 04-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
mariogolbee

Greg, I have had a 24" Imac for two years now. It was the previous year's model which makes it about three years old now. I love it and have had only one problem ever. The HD crashed once. I have Apple Care and it was fixed, at no additional cost, within a week. I also have the wireless HD/router called "Time Machine." This allowed me to restore all of my info easily after the Mac got fixed. The Time Machine is constantly performing automatic backups every hour. I did have to reload Windows via Bootcamp and lost that info though. The entire experience was fairly painless. I've never had a PC that has lasted this long.

As far as price is concerned you can spend anywhere from just over $1000 to $2000 depending on size and features. For that the higher end model you will get your moneys worth and not have to upgrade for a very long time. I would suggest you buy your own memory though. Especially since you can easily pop in up to 16G of it!

It only has ONE wire by the way.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road

PC all da way babY!
tomc3084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #13
Darrell

Old 04-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
Titan410
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Vince
Titan410 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
While I was a little scared on getting a whole new OS, I decided to go with the MacBook Pro. I haven't looked back since.
I'll never own a PC again. Anyone who says PC, have you actually owned and used a Mac for more than six months? Just curious. I was the most pro-pc guy out there, until I switched. Now I wish I hadn't waited so long.
I bought a Macbook laptop 1.5 years ago and it is FANTASTIC.
No defragging, registry cleaning, etc., it just WORKS, like its brand new - every time.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #16
ScottishSmoker

Until Steve Jobs and his obnoxious black turtleneck sweater and God Complex go the way of the Dodo, I will NEVER buy an Apple product...that being said, I use a PC...and am damned happy too...
Old 04-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #17
Titan410
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Vince
Titan410 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSmoker View Post
Until Steve Jobs and his obnoxious black turtleneck sweater and God Complex go the way of the Dodo, I will NEVER buy an Apple product...that being said, I use a PC...and am damned happy too...
They say that ignorance is bliss.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #18
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan410 View Post
I'll never own a PC again. Anyone who says PC, have you actually owned and used a Mac for more than six months?
Yes.

Been using Mac's since Apple 2E's and would take a PC of equal value any day.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #19
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

So Far, I Think It's 50-50! Thanks For All The Advice, My Friends!
Old 04-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #20
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSmoker View Post
I call ad homonym. If you're going to attack Steve Jobs for whatever reason then you should take a good hard look at Bill Gates. But what do these men have to do with the actual product?