Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #81
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hurricane Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Could be the water you see from your ceiling was forced under the shingles and through a seam in the tar paper
and your roof is fine. Wait til it does it again in a rain event to start worrying. hurricanes blow water in through
places you could never imagine. Glad to hear that no one yet is devastated. i like the name of that ride in the
photo...typhoon, lol.
Brad is wise. I have an area in my roof that only gets a small leak when the wind actually blows hard from the due south driving the rain up and under a seam.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #82
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Dom (Jonumberone) just texted me back so let me know he is fine...just without power. Still waiting on word from Keith (BigAsh).
Old 10-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #83
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Dom (Jonumberone) just texted me back so let me know he is fine...just without power. Still waiting on word from Keith (BigAsh).
Good to hear!!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #84
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

After what was a very eerie night an a rough morning, made it home ok. All things considering my family got off very lucky. No major damage, and although most of us are without power, for what could be days, nobody was hurt, all our houses are ok, and compared to the utter carnage I saw on my way home, southern Connecticut and Westchester it didn't feel like a tree or power line was left standing.

I'll try and get some pictures up when I get to work tomorrow.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #85
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachties23 View Post
After what was a very eerie night an a rough morning, made it home ok. All things considering my family got off very lucky. No major damage, and although most of us are without power, for what could be days, nobody was hurt, all our houses are ok, and compared to the utter carnage I saw on my way home, southern Connecticut and Westchester it didn't feel like a tree or power line was left standing.

I'll try and get some pictures up when I get to work tomorrow.
Glad to hear everyone is safe, Chris. Could have been a lot worse.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:21 AM   #86
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough

I got hit pretty hard in Brooklyn. My basement is an aquarium. Still about five feet of water down there. High-water mark in my living room indicates I had about a foot of water in there. But I was smart enough, or lucky enough, to move a good deal of my most-valued belongings up to the second floor on Monday morning before landfall. Otherwise, I suppose I'd have lost most everything. But, end of the day, it's all just "stuff." I'm grateful I have someplace else to be, and I am safe.
ColdCuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:55 AM   #87
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCuts View Post
I got hit pretty hard in Brooklyn. My basement is an aquarium. Still about five feet of water down there. High-water mark in my living room indicates I had about a foot of water in there. But I was smart enough, or lucky enough, to move a good deal of my most-valued belongings up to the second floor on Monday morning before landfall. Otherwise, I suppose I'd have lost most everything. But, end of the day, it's all just "stuff." I'm grateful I have someplace else to be, and I am safe.
Thoughts & Prayers With You, Dave. Hoping Things Improve Soon, Brother.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #88
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCuts View Post
Well said, my friend.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #89
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Keith (BigAsh) texted me last night...he's fine!! He claims to be "trapped" in Cancun but his son has informed him that they are without power at home in Philly.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #90
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Keith (BigAsh) texted me last night...he's fine!! He claims to be "trapped" in Cancun but his son has informed him that they are without power at home in Philly.
I was just thinking about him.
Glad to hear he and his son are safe.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #91
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Glad it appears all BOTLs appear to be safe! . In the Charlotte area we just had wind and clouds. Our way home to Cinci is basically impassable due to snow! Happily we aren't planning to go home until Sunday.

Folks in DC lost power for about 20 hours; but no worse for the wear. Sister in Columbia MD lost power as well but had a leak that ruined her carpet. But, all in all, she also fared well. Trishield is who I'm worried about!

Again., PTL that all appear to be ok physically anyway
Old 10-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #92
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
Brad is wise. .
I stayed in a Holiday In Express last night. They had the same problem there.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #93
mariogolbee

I haven't been following the storm, but yesterday something reminded me of our BOTL on the East Coast here. I just wanted to pop my head in quickly and let yo know you're all in my thoughts. I'll come back and go through this thread later tonight.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #94
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Sandy is a *****. Mean assed gal, for sure. She popped up right as my wife and I were leaving on a cruise including a stop in Nassau. Sandy stopped those plans. They had to cancel the Nassau stop. Then, we spent 3 days at sea, riding out waves that rolled a huge-ass ship like a toy. Got into port in Jacksonville, Fla on Saturday morning, made it to Va. Beach that evening, being chased by Sandys rain and wind for 9 hours. Spent today getting to the Washington DC area (wife in a nursing contract here). Chased by rain and wind. I guess we will ride out the next several days in the hotel (hospital for her). Maybe, the weather will clear and I can catch a plane back to Bama sometime this weekend????

Nothing good out of this witch for me to celebrate, for sure!
I saw that boat come in and heard y'all had a bunch of rough weather. Sorry to hear about your trip being cancelled.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #95
Islayphile
Wee Dram Hunter

First Name: Mike
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Islayphile is on a distinguished road

I was just able to make it into work today and we have power.

Been without power at home since 6:00pm on Monday, but thankfully no damage to anyone or our home.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #96
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I realize now that I have read all these items and seen stories on the news that it might have been a good idea to
have a thread where the old hands from down in Dixie could pass on hard-bought advice on storms of this nature that
could really help when the sand starts filling the streets miles from the beach. I apologize for this, and in truth, I only
have a few tips of my own, but I am going to start a thread where we can pop em in as we think of them so that
the next time something like this looms large, people can benefit. Sorry I did not do it before.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #97
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Good to hear. I wonder how Joel (yourchoice) is doing.

All told we got really lucky in philly. Downed trees, power lines so lots of folks still without power but there is really nothing to say but we got really lucky.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #98
BC-Axeman

Just heard from my uncle. Had five feet of water on the first floor. Siding is warping. Boat gone, dock smashed by some other boat there. Yard scoured and left with debris. Both cars gone. Sewers backed up. Nearby houses burned down. 114 looters arrested, so far. No power. 6 to 6 curfew. His last description, "total devastation".
All the family is fine, besides.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #99
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

Just got home from working hurricane restoration and getting just about everyone in our service area back on. The company has released all of our off system contractors and a good portion of our on system contractors plus a large contingent of our own linemen to head to NJ and NY. So to our brothers and sisters up north, more help is on the way. I know there will be a lot of frustration from being without power for this long, just remember when you see these guys out there, they have been working 14 to 16 hour days with 8 to 10 hours off for 4 days already.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #100
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Just heard from my uncle. Had five feet of water on the first floor. Siding is warping. Boat gone, dock smashed by some other boat there. Yard scoured and left with debris. Both cars gone. Sewers backed up. Nearby houses burned down. 114 looters arrested, so far. No power. 6 to 6 curfew. His last description, "total devastation".
All the family is fine, besides.
That really sucks that they had that much damage. Awesome news that the family made out OK.