Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
Azaelius
The Right Hand of Doom.

First Name: Ian
Trading: (1)
Azaelius is on a distinguished road
Default new humidor perfection?!

Okay, so I got my new humidor - a bally glass top from cigarhumidors-online.com - and the thing is awesome. Save for a small cosmetic ding in the corner from UPS guys.

Now, here's the weird thing... its got a killer seal, and it seasoned for about a day and a half... and I decided to see how well it would do... well, its been 14 hours and the thing is rock steady 70/70. I've got rh beads in there as well as the stock humidifier (green foam) AND my cigars, btw.

Anyone else ever had great luck with a new humi real fast?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: new humidor perfection?!

Congratulatons on your new humi! I have never heard of this and it is certainly not the norm. Make sure you monitor your hygrometers regularly to make sure that the humi is not drying out. BTW, did you calibrate your hygrometer? If not, you should do so immediately -- just to be safe.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Congratulatons on your new humi! I have never heard of this and it is certainly not the norm. Make sure you monitor your hygrometers regularly to make sure that the humi is not drying out. BTW, did you calibrate your hygrometer? If not, you should do so immediately -- just to be safe.
What Mike said.

Also, even with a killer seal, you should have seasoned your humidor for a while longer than a day. If the Spanish cedar has been properly kiln-dried, its going to absorb a good amount of moisture. 14 hours is not long enough to ensure stability IMO, ESPECIALLY not long enough to put your cigars in.

I would take your cigars out and place in ziplock baggies or tupperware and give your humidor more time to season. There is lots of good information available here on seasoning a humidor if you search for it.

Congrats on your new purchase, good luck.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Azaelius
The Right Hand of Doom.

Thanks. The hygrometer IS callibrated, and it was kind of just an experiment... but I guess I should take them out again. Darn. Okay. I'll keep monitoring it, though!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

congrats on the humi, btw
Old 05-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Nah, leave em in. The error is not fatal. And messing with it introduces more instability.
You are fine how you are.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
Azaelius
The Right Hand of Doom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Nah, leave em in. The error is not fatal. And messing with it introduces more instability.
You are fine how you are.
... Kay!

Like I said, everything is calibrated properly, the digital and the analog are strangely close together in their readings, (analog does seem 2 - 5 lower/higher though, of course. And everyhting seems very stable, almost no fluctuation at all, and I'm fairly confident its going to stay that way.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
jimmyk26
Jimmy Jim

First Name: Kings of Leon
Trading: (32)
HUpmann
jimmyk26 will become famous soon enough

I had a humidor hit stabilize on humidity quickly before. I was cautious though and let it season for a week before I threw my sticks in. Honestly if you are getting a stable environment then great. It's also good that you are happy with your new humidor.
jimmyk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

pics???
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #10
Trouble

I seasoned mine overnight with a small pan of distilled water and it was fine by morning. I let it sit for 2 more days to be safe.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #11
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

You can't really over-season a humidor, but you can under season it. It's not a bad thing if you put cigars in too soon; you just need to be prepared to closely monitor the RH to ensure that the humi and the cigars are not drying out.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
GoatLocker
Dr of Quantum Inebrionics

First Name: Eric
Cohiba Navy (Active)
GoatLocker has disabled reputation

Humidity in Santee today is 68% RH and about 70 deg F, so you might get the same reading with your humidor wide open...

With small imported humidors, there is only a paper thin veneer of Spanish Cedar, over relatively non porous MDF, so there really isn't much to "season" beyond what you have already done. As long as you monitor it and add moisture as required, you are fine. When the weather heats up/dries out, you will get a better feel for how often you have to add moisture.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #13
Azaelius
The Right Hand of Doom.

mine's actually go a fairly thick wall of cedar all around. and thanks for the info, lol. Rarely is my humi open more than 7 seconds. I usually know what I want.

The analog hygrometer that came with the thing is scary accurate... almost more accurate than my digital. I know that will probably change, but for now... it's weird.