Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-22-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
lika1

Default Jbelo lighter ?

Has anyone heard of an Jbelo lighter? I was digging through some boxes and I found an old lighter; the inside of the top has Jbelo stamped in it. I got this lighter years ago when I was stationed in Germany and forgot all about it. I'll post pics very soon but in the mean time, if anyone has info on Jbelo it will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:40 AM   #2
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Jbelo lighter ?

Here's a little information that I was able to dig up about JBELO Lighters. The company was founded in Germany shortly after the end of World War I by Julius and Benno Lowenthal (JBELO). This company was the forerunner of Colibri which was started in 1928 in Germany as a spinoff of JBELO. In 1933 Colibri moved to London and JBELO remained in business in Germany. In 1945 after the end of World War II, the two companies started a cooperative work relationship again. JBELO was run by a Lowenthal sister after the split in 1928. An interesting note is the reason for the split was that Colibri was started to market a lighter that used a button or lever for ignition which meant that a person's thumb did not come in contact with the spark wheel. Hopefully this information will help, maybe a Google of Colibri will bring more information.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
lika1

Default Re: Jbelo lighter ?

Thanks taltos; that's very interesting especially the part with the thumb not making contact with the spark or flint wheel because my Jbelo is built that way. As a matter of fact, I did look up Colibri and they have several flint lighters that's very similar in design to my Jbelo. Well here's a few pics of the lighter in question.

Yes she still works.

Last edited by lika1; 02-22-2009 at 01:16 PM.