Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do You?
Yes, a lot. 26 38.24%
Yes, but not often. 21 30.88%
No, not really. 3 4.41%
No, not at all. 21 30.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #21
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation
Default Re: Social Networking, Do You?

Facebook & Twitter for me. I've found some great bands I wouldn't have found otherwise from both mediums. Also found Cro Magnon cigars from Twitter. Words with Friends is always a good time with Pete. It's kinda sad to see the lack of reading/wriing skills of some family members. I end up ignoring their feeds.

MCS
Old 04-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #22
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I'm with you, Scott! I've never understood the desire to put oneself on display for the world. I didn't even have a telephone 'till I got married. Don't really want one now.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #23
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I deactivated my FB account. I found no benefit from it. I would rather text my family members and friends. Also there are people from my past I would rather never speak to again. I had a myspace page, there was a small article written about it on NY Times online website.
It was a Redskins fan page called "Jesus loves the Redskins", I have not visited it in years however.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #24
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

I use facebook daily. Used to have myspace. I have a twitter account but rarely use it.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #25
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Got on Facebook so I could access a coffee vendor, but use it rarely. By that I mean I look at it infrequently and almost never post anything.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #26
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
Facebook & Twitter for me. I've found some great bands I wouldn't have found otherwise from both mediums. Also found Cro Magnon cigars from Twitter. Words with Friends is always a good time with Pete. It's kinda sad to see the lack of reading/wriing skills of some family members. I end up ignoring their feeds.

MCS
Hah! I spelled writing wrong in a sentence lamenting the literacy of my family members. Good blackmail fodder!

MCS
Old 04-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #27
BC-Axeman

Writing you wrongs, Scott?
My Facebook account has a fake name. I use it to keep in touch with my family but I don't put much up, myself. Settings are key. You can block stuff without blocking people out.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #28
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
I use it to keep up with people, It took me a while to get the settings right. Once you hide all the Farmvile and Cityville people from your newsfeed, along with people that use it like a diary, it is much less annoying. . . .
What he said.

I only use Facebook. We will see how long it takes them to force me over to the new timeline format. But I have a feeling resistance is futile.

One good note is that I was able to re-connect with a sister that I hadn't talked to in over 35 years.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #29
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Maybe it's my generation, but I am fully engrossed in all things "social-network". For as shy a guy as I am, I really enjoy interacting with others (which is one of the reasons I stick around here). Facebook and Twitter allow me to do that more so, even constantly.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #30
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Maybe it's my generation, but I am fully engrossed in all things "social-network". For as shy a guy as I am, I really enjoy interacting with others (which is one of the reasons I stick around here). Facebook and Twitter allow me to do that more so, even constantly.
It's not neccesarily generational. My dad is big time into FB and a lot of his friends (many older) are into it as well. I think my dad interacts more than I do.

MCS
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #31
Wanger

Yup...I do Facebook. Have plenty of friends from across boards. Would consider a few to be very good friends.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #32
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

SvilleKid has disabled reputation

I look at my Facebook acct at least once every other day. Sometimes I even look at it once every day for two or three days in a row! I used to be addicted and play half a dozen games. Gave up on all the games, and found it doesn't take more than ten minutes or so to check things out every couple of days.

I'm NOT real socialible when I do use it, rarely post, mainly read what friends and family write. I have a couple of sites I "like", but mostly friends and family.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #33
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I used to have FB but got rid of it. I use twitter and that is primarily to keep up with news and sports. I also use LinkedIn for professional contacts. I see the usefulness to social media but I like to keep some privacy. I want to control my online image as much as I can.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #34
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very surprised by how many people don't use social networking sites at all, or very minimally.
Lisa uses Facebook, but I'd put her in the "Yes, but not often" category. She gets a lot of good info that way, and keeps in touch with her oldest daughter on a closer level than if not for Facebook.

I like the fact that Weeze is hooked up, it allows me to NOT be hooked up, because it leaves no reason. So it serves an indirect purpose in my life, whether I'm on it or not. It's kind of amazing how far it's tendrils reach.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #35
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Facebook, Linkedin, and Foursquare--no Twitter because I don't get it. FB mostly because my son wanted to stay in touch while he was at school, and now everyone at home uses it.

Which I should extend to include my 83 year old father, who complains when I don't put up photos as often as he would like.

Also have a "social beer app" called Untappd that I use to track my various beer adventures.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:20 AM   #36
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I prefer Twitter over FB now, FB is too full of drama, and you have to be clever to put in the right amount of words in Twitter to have drama.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:40 AM   #37
Apexkingjusto
Newb

First Name: Justin
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Apexkingjusto is on a distinguished road

Linkedin is one of my most valuable business tools and facebook it one of my most valuable tools to help stay connected to friends and family that i cant see often. Im able to share pics of my 2month old with ease and speed and my loved ones can see it instantly.
Apexkingjusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #38
Apexkingjusto
Newb

Cohiba

Anyone remember friendster lol
Old 05-01-2012, 05:48 AM   #39
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Okay so I guess I should update this since I do now participate in social networking. Well sort of. I am now on Instagram, which is just sharing photos. It is pretty cool.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #40
Apexkingjusto
Newb

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
Okay so I guess I should update this since I do now participate in social networking. Well sort of. I am now on Instagram, which is just sharing photos. It is pretty cool.