Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do You?
Yes, a lot. 26 38.24%
Yes, but not often. 21 30.88%
No, not really. 3 4.41%
No, not at all. 21 30.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Social Networking, Do You?

I've been goaded into Facebooking and Myspacing and get invites for regular "fresh, new social networking sites" on a regular basis.
I don't do any of them anymore, haven't for a long time. I really like being off the grid, and not getting umpteen emails a day because someone wants carrots for their virtual garden.
Don't get me wrong, I don't see anything wrong with any of it. My kids get entirely too immersed to the point of being zombies, but it's a great way for families to stay connected over long distances. It's a great way to keep in touch with friends and make new serial killer friends.
I just like my privacy, and can keep in touch other ways without so many prying eyes. I know I can make myself nearly invisible on Facebook, but it still doesn't do it for me.
I don't mind sharing here because I've met such a large portion of people here and have become friends with so many others. Peter and Tom and the rest of the ToE keep good watch over our home here and it's comfortable.

I just wondered how many others enjoy social networking versus maintaining their privacy and anonymity?
What are your thoughts?
What do you think are the upsides vs. the downsides (if you think there are any of either)?

The poll assumes that messageboards are not "social networking" sites, or at least not in the same vein as Facebook, etc.
Yes, I realize the similarities.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Social Networking, Do You?

A/S/L?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

I use it to keep up with people, It took me a while to get the settings right. Once you hide all the Farmvile and Cityville people from your newsfeed, along with people that use it like a diary, it is much less annoying. I don't even carry a cell phone most of the time because I don't like for people to be able to call me when I'm out and I have never seen facebook as compromising my Privacy or Annonimity. Except when my wife posts every little detail of our lives, but that's her fault not Facebook's.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Nope. I rather enjoy the strange looks I get when I tell people I don't have a Facebook book
Old 04-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Nope. I rather enjoy the strange looks I get when I tell people I don't have a Facebook book
I generally call it MyFace. I tell everyone I don't understand that MyFace stuff.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I use it for keeping up with new/old friends.

And stalking exes.

J/K

Seriously though. As long as you don't "like" everything under the sun, keep all your sh*t to "private," and dont download any apps, you're good.

Social networking is getting crazy. I've seen rumors of a "Facebook score". Kind of a data gathering program that people can use to determine seating arrangements on planes and such. Wonder where they will draw the line. Sorry, but I won't take the mark of the beast.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
I use it to keep up with people, It took me a while to get the settings right. Once you hide all the Farmvile and Cityville people from your newsfeed, along with people that use it like a diary, it is much less annoying. . . .
What he said.

I only use Facebook. We will see how long it takes them to force me over to the new timeline format. But I have a feeling resistance is futile.

One good note is that I was able to re-connect with a sister that I hadn't talked to in over 35 years.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Used mostly for keeping in contact with friends and family.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

I use it to keep in contact with friends that are a good distance from me, as well as setting up group gatherings. It's way easier than email for getting a group of like minded individuals together. Settings are key. I hope I've got it set up so that people can't find or see me that I don't want to.

I also have a strict 1 annoying news post rule for people I don't generally associate with. 1 annoying post and they are kicked off my feed.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
Hooligan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Matt
Trading: (0)
Hooligan is on a distinguished road

Yes, a lot. I mainly use it to keep in touch with old friends since moving from VA.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

I'm not allowed to have one at the Academy! I've found I've been able to concentrate on things here and not have to worry about seeing my friends boozing it up at "real" college. Kinda nice actually
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Facebook is the devil.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Facebook is the devil.
Besides, Kellie does it enough for the both of us.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Yep....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
Pseudosacred
What will your verse be?

First Name: Nick
Trading: (1)
Pseudosacred is on a distinguished road

I'm on Facebook daily. It's a great thing, if you use it correctly.

I've actually found musicians and wrote songs with them over Facebook video. It's amazing how it can bring people together.

I think the myths and conspiricy theories behind Facebook make it seem like an awful thing, but it's not.
Pseudosacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #16
Scottw
Going Commando

Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Not for me except linkedin which I wouldn't refer to as social but certainly business networking
Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Yes I do and use it daily. I think people love my witty, funny posts about life, love and my recent bowel movements. Oh and what I've eaten for my daily meals. Oh and what my favorite music is.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
Yes I do and use it daily. I think people love my witty, funny posts about life, love and my recent bowel movements. Oh and what I've eaten for my daily meals. Oh and what my favorite music is.
And how empty your new humi is!!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #19
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF View Post
And how empty your new humi is!!!!
I was just so proud of it I couldn't wait until I filled it to post pctures! No funny stuff from you or Larry. Its FULL!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #20
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I do FB, but opt out of just about everything, and have set my privacy as high as possible. I enjoy FB, and if you're careful and don't click on every "look what this father caught his teenage daughter doing!" link, you should be fine!