Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Goviada Chico

GDW cigars (AndyMadera) has started a new vitola named Goviada. Andy gifted us a bunch of the chicos at the last Stumptown herf. I promised a review, but am late getting it done. Here it is.

Like all GDW cigars, this is a beautiful cigar with a flawless wrapper. The wrapper looks like a Connecticut with a nice ecru shade. The burn is flawless and even.

Prelight draw was smooth, but not loose. It lights easily and stays lit. I'd say that this chico size is about a 45 minute smoke.

After lighting, the initial draw is very reminiscienct of the MiraFlor, also a GDW product. Very spicy with just a touch of grass. The wrapper gives it a slightly sweet taste that fades in the first 1/2 inch. The pepper and grass is very dominant in the first 1/4 inch. I'd say that at this stage it is on the lighter side of full bodied.

After the first 1/4 inch, the smoke settles into its rhythm. It mellows to the full range of medium and is very pleasant on the sinuses. The wrapper no longer has a sweet taste, but a little grassy on the tongue.

The smoke is very reminiscience of the Padron 1964 el Prinicpe. Mellow, but full with strong pepper, some grass and just a hint of chocolate. This profile stays firm all the way to the nub.

I'd say that the Goviada is the little brother to the more intense MiraFlor. It's a great change of pace smoke and seems to me to be a stellar lunch time smoke. The grassy sweetness stays with you for a while after smoking, which is a good plus in my book.

I'm not big on number schemes, but I'd rate this one fairly high if I was. Instead, let me point out that of the over 70 boxes of cigars I own, the only ones that I consistently would stock are Tatuaje, Padron, the MiraFlor and now the Goviada.

Andy has another winner here. I hope that everyone gets to try one soon and especially in this chico size.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Goviada Chico

I smoked this stick a few nights ago, I agree, VERY GOOD.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Goviada Chico

I just had the robusto today and I really liked it. I hope to write a review on one of the other sizes. I couldn't do one tonight b/c I had to work late. Nice cigar Andy!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote