Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-16-2022, 11:58 AM   #1
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough
Default Rookie mistakes

I'm gonna run a contest next month regarding this topic but just wanted to hear stories of all of your rookie mistakes. When i started out all i could think about or want was cuban cigars (forbidden fruit) so I went on cigar.com and found the infamous Gurkha Pre-embargo cuban cigars where they found this palate of perfectly kept pre-embargo cuban tobacco and how you had the privilege of spending $20 a cigar to own one so i bought 3 plus some montecristo's because that was a brand i recognized. Not only were they not that good BUT i didn't know how to cut a cigar so like al western movies i bit the caps off making an awful mess of it. I thought i was pretty cool until i joined club stogie and learned how wrong i had been. I don't remember much about the flavors other than they tasted NOTHING like the cubans i've had since. So what were some of your rookie mistakes? Let me know. I think this could be fun. God bless you all!
Old 01-16-2022, 12:27 PM   #2
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Rookie mistakes

don't you love autocorrect? palate versus pallet. it's only a big difference in terms
Old 01-16-2022, 02:09 PM   #3
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Storing some cigars in a ziploc bag with an overly-moistened paper towel for humidity. I ended up with a nice collection of cigars you could fold in half without breaking, and all riddled with mold.

It worked out for me, though. They were a bunch of cheap Thompson smokes I'd bought to bring with me on a deployment to Qatar. Once they were ruined I had no choice but to go to the local B&M for some replacements. The B&M happened to be an LCDH. So because of my newbie faux pas I ended up exposed to some quality smokes and set me on the path of the BOTL.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:18 PM   #4
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

I smoked a Pineapple White Owl once . . .
Old 01-16-2022, 08:26 PM   #5
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Grape flavored cigars from behind the counter at Hess are a very poor choice when you're first dabbling in the cigar hobby. Trust me.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:02 AM   #6
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
Grape flavored cigars from behind the counter at Hess are a very poor choice when you're first dabbling in the cigar hobby. Trust me.
why does grape not even sound good as a flavor to me?
Old 01-17-2022, 08:32 AM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Bought a bundle of Don Mateo's because Esquire magazine dubbed them "the World's Greatest Cheap Cigar".

First one was horrible. Then much like James, I put them in a Ziplock with a wet paper towel.....and then into the refrigrerator.

Things became much clearer once I joined Club Stogie as well.....

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:48 PM   #8
gravel
Still Washing My Back

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (3)
HdM
gravel will become famous soon enough

I’ve been spared many rookie missteps. I joined this board with limited experience, but nothing of the magnitude of buying blunt wrappers for my first. I was sent a great newb bomb by Mr Clean. As a result, I paid close attention to the hows and whys of cigar smoking, eventually settling in on what works for me.

Unless you want to count the time I cut a cigar, set it down, picked it back up and proceeded to light where I cut…
gravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 02:34 PM   #9
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Buying a Lotus lighter trusting the sales person on lighters. Now I just use a crème brûlée torch as all cigar lighters are crap.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:55 PM   #10
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

I was that guy who only smoked a couple of sticks a year... until the in laws took a trip to Cuba.... the old boy asked what I wanted him to bring back for me.... he was thinking rum....
I asked for cigars and he brought back two boxes of RyJ Mille Fleurs.... it was all down hill from there.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:59 PM   #11
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weelok View Post
Buying a Lotus lighter trusting the sales person on lighters. Now I just use a crème brûlée torch as all cigar lighters are crap.
I agree...except for my Alec Bradley table-top lighter. I've been using this for years and it's never once given me any issues. I've got a small basket filled to the brim with lighters that are just collecting dust as all I use is the table-top. (no endorsement of the product or CI intended).
Old 01-17-2022, 06:25 PM   #12
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I agree...except for my Alec Bradley table-top lighter. I've been using this for years and it's never once given me any issues. I've got a small basket filled to the brim with lighters that are just collecting dust as all I use is the table-top. (no endorsement of the product or CI intended).
You found a unicorn