Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation
Default Donte Stallworth gets 30 days in jail for killing!

I am beside myself after reading about this. For God's sake, he killed a man while driving drunk. He was well over the legal limit blood alcohol content, and plead to 30 days in jail. And to top it off, he will get out in 24 days for time served!! I don't know if him being a professional football player had anything to do with it, I get the feeling it did. This is ass backwards, and completely embarrassing. The prosecutor and judge should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this plea deal to go through. The article also mentions that Stallworth came to a financial agreement with the victim's family. Wow, isn't that quite convenient. Sorry for the rant, here is the link!
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4262751
Old 06-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Cenookie
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Claude
Trading: (1)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Cenookie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Donte Stallworth gets 30 days in jail for kill

I agree with you on this one, it's a damn shame.
Cenookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road

I agree this story left me in disbelief.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

I wonder if there were any extenuating circumstances with the case...

I will say that what Lester Munson said in the video was terrible. Maybe it was a slip, but how can he say "...this was a good outcome for the victim..."? The victim died!!!!!
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
Waynegro1

I couldn't agree with you more, Dustin. This kind of thing just makes me sick to my stomach. In my line of work I see the end result of carelessness to often. Just one night of "fun" can result in a complete life change (for the family that was hurt). 30 days is an absolute joke!! Mr. Stallworth serves just 30 short days for killing a man, whereas the family, lost a son/husband/father FOREVER!!!
INSANE!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruzee View Post
I don't know if him being a professional football player had anything to do with it, I get the feeling it did.
Ya think? Our country has more than a few false idols, anointed ones, and sickeningly twisted legal outcomes.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:50 AM   #7
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

According to what I've read, it looks to me that Reyes caused the accident by darting out into the road to cross illegally.

Stallworth should not have been drinking and driving, but he stopped immediately and called 911, knowing full well that he was probably over the limit.

Its not as if he drove onto the sidewalk and hit somebody there, then left the scene.

“Every case that we prosecute, especially those that involve the death of a human being, is closely scrutinized to ensure that a fair and just resolution is reached for all parties,” said prosecutor Katherine Fernandez Rundle. “We have specifically looked at the unique facts involved with this charge, Mr. Stallworth’s excellent pre-incident history of community service, abundant references that attest to his good character, his lack of any traffic violations or criminal convictions, his full and complete post-incident cooperation with law enforcement, and his willingness to accept complete responsibility for his actions.
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...lworths-money/

Last edited by SeanGAR; 06-17-2009 at 05:00 AM.
SeanGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:18 AM   #8
jlaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
According to what I've read, it looks to me that Reyes caused the accident by darting out into the road to cross illegally.

Stallworth should not have been drinking and driving, but he stopped immediately and called 911, knowing full well that he was probably over the limit.

Its not as if he drove onto the sidewalk and hit somebody there, then left the scene.

“Every case that we prosecute, especially those that involve the death of a human being, is closely scrutinized to ensure that a fair and just resolution is reached for all parties,” said prosecutor Katherine Fernandez Rundle. “We have specifically looked at the unique facts involved with this charge, Mr. Stallworth’s excellent pre-incident history of community service, abundant references that attest to his good character, his lack of any traffic violations or criminal convictions, his full and complete post-incident cooperation with law enforcement, and his willingness to accept complete responsibility for his actions.
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...lworths-money/
Good points Sean, thanks for sharing that information. We always assume athletes get the star treatment. The difference in this story however, is that he took responsibility for his actions. In this day, almost everyone is a victim. I'm not saying its a good ides to do what he did, but at least he was honest about it and didn't run from the scene and hide.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
I wonder if there were any extenuating circumstances with the case...
I assumed there was more to the story.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
GrtndpwrflOZ
Just call me OZ

First Name: Brian
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
GrtndpwrflOZ is on a distinguished road

Also, I ""heard" on the radio this morning that the family of the victim is ok with the sentence and that they just want to put the whole thing behind them.

As for 30 days for killing....that is not the truth.
30 days for involentary manslaughter perhaps. I am not a laywer...although I play one on TV.

People that are afflicted by something that is caused by an outside source.
Should it be the same as murder if you are not in control?
This usually gets everyone going crazy. This CA though. We will have a discussion.

What should the punishment be?

Quote:
I am beside myself after reading about this. For God's sake, he killed a man while driving drunk. He was well over the legal limit blood alcohol content, and plead to 30 days in jail. And to top it off, he will get out in 24 days for time served!! I don't know if him being a professional football player had anything to do with it, I get the feeling it did. This is ass backwards, and completely embarrassing. The prosecutor and judge should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this plea deal to go through. The article also mentions that Stallworth came to a financial agreement with the victim's family. Wow, isn't that quite convenient. Sorry for the rant, here is the link!
GrtndpwrflOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtndpwrflOZ View Post
What should the punishment be?
Honestly, I don't think what he got was out of line.

Think about a lifetime ban from driving. He may be able to get a to and from work license in 5 years, but that is it, he is done pleasure driving for the rest of his life. I'd rather spend 6 months in the slammer than lose my license for life.

He manned up and took responsibility, which takes a lot of guts knowing that he was drinking all night and was basically screwed. In my opinion that shows character.

But obviously he should have been smart and called a cab.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:

When I first reading the story I was appalled, but then later on in the article they mentioned the guy was running to catch a bus and wasn't in the crosswalk....so it sounds like he ran in front of him.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #13
ahc4353

NJ State Troop runs a stop sign, no lights on, no siren on in pursuit of a speeder. Broadsides a van with two sisters 17 and 19 years old. Ejects them through the passenger window killing both.

He walked out of the courtroom a free man.

Sometimes I feel like there is no justice.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #14
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

Partagas

I believe that every drunk driver makes the decision to get behind the wheel of a vehicle. I have been arresting them, young and old, for almost 11 years. I have seen some the most horrific scenes and crashes humanly possible. I don't care if the pedestrian made a mistake walking outside of a cross walk. The driver's reaction and motor skills are greatly deminished by consuming alcohol. Go home and drink until your BAC is .126, as was Stallworth's, and see how much you miss walking down the hallway. You will be suprised how much your body is effected by that amount of alcohol. The drunk driver is always at fault in a traffic collision, and the primary collision factor is DUI! Every single time.

Drunk driving is preventable. Therefore, if I make the decision to drive, despite my sobriety, and I kill someone, I believe that it is absolutely equivelent to murder. Call me crazy, or call me over the top. I have had several family members killed by drunk drivers, some of my family have been the drunk driver.

Stallworth should have had to face a harsher sentence than 24 days in jail. DUI manslaughter is a felony. That should equal prision time. Just because he cooperated, and didn't run doesn't change the fact that someone is dead. All that means is that he didn't commit any more crimes after the accident.

Last edited by Bruzee; 06-17-2009 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Bruzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #15
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
NJ State Troop runs a stop sign, no lights on, no siren on in pursuit of a speeder. Broadsides a van with two sisters 17 and 19 years old. Ejects them through the passenger window killing both.

He walked out of the courtroom a free man.

Sometimes I feel like there is no justice.
He was doing his job. Albeit the wrong way. But nonetheless, he was trying to protect and serve.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #16
NJ stogie King

Quote:
I believe that every drunk driver makes the decision to get behind the wheel of a vehicle. I have been arresting them, young and old, for almost 11 years. I have seen some the most horrific scenes and crashes humanly possible. I don't care if the pedestrian made a mistake walking outside of a cross walk. The driver's reaction and motor skills are greatly deminished by consuming alcohol. Go home and drink until your BAC is .126, as was Stallworth's, and see how much you miss walking down the hallway. You will be suprised how much your body is effected by that amount of alcohol. The drunk driver is always at fault in a traffic collision, and the primary collision factor is DUI! Every single time.

Drunk driving is preventable. Therefore, if I make the decision to drive, despite my sobriety, and I kill someone, I believe that it is absolutely equivelent to murder. Call me crazy, or call me over the top. I have had several family members killed by drunk drivers, some of my family have been the drunk driver.

Stallworth should have had to face a harsher sentence than 24 days in jail. DUI manslaughter is a felony. That should equal prision time. Just because he cooperated, and didn't run doesn't change the fact that someone is dead. All that means is that he didn't commit any more crimes after the accident.

Very well said!! 24 days is a slap on the wrist....and 2 years of house arrest ( which is what I heard the 2nd part of his sentence will be) is like a vacation! House arrest for me in my small abode would be torture, but to Stallworth who has millions of $ is a perfect opportunity to catch up on some XBOX, PS3 or smoking cigars for that matter! The only downfall is that he can't take his Lambo or Ferrari out for a spin!!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #17
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

30 days in jail???? If this was "average joe" we are looking at 6-7 years and not in a nice, cozy resort. Total injustice!!!
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #18
Waynegro1

Quote:

Once again,
Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #19
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
He was doing his job. Albeit the wrong way. But nonetheless, he was trying to protect and serve.

...Without lights or siren?
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #20
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post
...Without lights or siren?
You want to hang an over zealous peace officer for making a mistake while protecting and serving his community? He was at work, not drinking and driving. Not out partying or chasing tail. He was in an uniform, and trying to do his job. I think it is a great tragedy, and he will pay dearly the rest of his life. Do you disagree?