Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #301
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

No problems with weed or grass seed in the clippings. Initially I was worried about it, too, but there's been nothing to worry about. Go for it!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #302
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

We have a few flats of tomatoes and peppers started in the greenhouse I put up in the basement. They're doing great, should be big and strong when it comes time to put them out to harden.

Grass clippings are great if they're used in a balance. Jamie has a big garden, small amount of clippings, and he uses leaves and other organic matter to mulch.
Folks with raised beds tend to put a whole garbage bag of clippings around one plant. It's great for the first year because the grass doesn't break down so much. The following year there's so much free nitrogen that plants grow huge and fruit very little.
Go easy on the grass clippings, B. A little is great, too much is not great.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #303
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Thanks Jamie
Thanks Scott
And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:13
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #304
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

It's not very pretty but the wife and I put our 1st garden together this year. We planted zucchini, broccoli, spinach, cabbage, cucumbers, and tomatoes. We are also growing strawberries in a container on the porch. I think some moving around may be done before all is finalized but it is a good start I think.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #305
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Very nice Brendon. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #306
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

My tomato plants are starting to get too big, I'm afraid they'll be root bound before the nights are warm here, but don't have room to pot up. They're in 3" pots now, 6-8" tall and growing fast.

Anyone use "wall o' water" or similar season extenders? Our temps are likely to be in the 60s during the day and 40s at night for the next few weeks. Historical average evening temp of 55 isn't until mid-May. Thoughts?
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #307
shade
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mark
Trading: (5)
shade will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
My tomato plants are starting to get too big, I'm afraid they'll be root bound before the nights are warm here, but don't have room to pot up. They're in 3" pots now, 6-8" tall and growing fast.

Anyone use "wall o' water" or similar season extenders? Our temps are likely to be in the 60s during the day and 40s at night for the next few weeks. Historical average evening temp of 55 isn't until mid-May. Thoughts?
Quite a few Mennonite families around here use the 'wall-o-water' with great results. Usually have the first tomatoes in our area. I see a lot of gallon milk containers with the bottoms cut out also. Much cheaper route if you have lots of plants.

I planted some habarneros, and two tomatoes plants the other day, but in an area that is well protected, and has it's own micro-climate. Still, with temps predicted in the mid to upper 30s tomorrow night I'll have to cover them.
shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #308
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Mark, I just use an inverted 5 gallon bucket when I need a night's protection.

I wouldn't worry too much about the size of the tomatoes. Tall, lanky ones will be fine. Dig a trench and plant as much of the stem as you can leaving a few set of leaves above ground. The stem will grow roots along itself when buried - a good thing.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #309
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Here's the start for 2013. I still have to place my soaker hoses and mulch. And I'm waiting for some sweet taters to put out some "slips" to plant those. Otherwise, it's all in the ground. Zucchini, pink-eyed purple-hull peas, three types of watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumbers, yellow squash, onions, peppers, three types of tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli, red potatoes, green beans and corn. Maybe that will keep me busy.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #310
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Love your plot man. Everything by seed?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #311
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Love your plot man. Everything by seed?

No, the far end has starter plants of Tomato, Peppers, cabbage, broccoli. Potatoes are from leftover runt potatoes of last years crop (how I usually do it). The sweet taters slips are being sprouted from runts left over from last year's crop also. The onions are actually still growing from where I planted them last fall/early winter. The melons, squash and corn are from seeds purchased at a local co-op. One pound bag of seed will usually last me 3 seasons on corn, as will 1 ounce envelope of melon seeds. The peas, butterpeas and green bean seed are taken from dried pods of last years crops, and seem to work as well as buying new ones. All seeds are stored in a chest type freezer all year except for a day or two when they are taken out to warm up and plant,
Old 04-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #312
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Nice
Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #313
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Here are some pics of what is outside already. I still have alot of stuff under the lights, in the house. I started everything by seed this year.

Here is my early season raised-bed.

Onions, Beets, Red Chard, Spinach, Boc Choy, Broccoli, Butter Lettuce.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #314
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

This is more of the stuff I have moved out doors to Harden-Off.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #315
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post

I used to have a pile of them. They work great.
If the plants grow out the top and get nipped by frost, you just lop them off. It's got to be a very hard frost for them to get nipped, even outside the wall0water.
I started cukes in them, too. We had a very short season in PA and they were a big help to get some early stuff.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #316
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I used to have a pile of them. They work great.
If the plants grow out the top and get nipped by frost, you just lop them off. It's got to be a very hard frost for them to get nipped, even outside the wall0water.
I started cukes in them, too. We had a very short season in PA and they were a big help to get some early stuff.
I'm on the southern border of PA, so that helps. Glad to hear they work, they'll be delivered on Friday
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #317
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC

Great start, B!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #318
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

I am having problems with Leaf Miners (first time ever) in my Chard, Spinach and Beet leaves.
What Non-Toixic methods do you guys use for these?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #319
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Here's whats under the Plastic Lean-to, hardening off.

I am building another raised bed. This one is 14' x 4' x 18" high.
This is 1 of 2 halves. They will be joined together and a 1/2" threaded rod will go in the mid-cross section to keep it from bowing apart. Its upside down right now. The long legs will go in the ground. I will update the status as I go.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #320
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC

This damned gardening is hard work!!