Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Bad Finger

Default Tatuaje Black Label Petite Lancero Review

Cigar: Tatuaje Black Label Petite Lancero
Size: 6 x 38rg
Filler: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Sun Grown Criollo from Esteli
Price: $190-215/Box, $8.60ea
Individual Weight: 8.85g

Pre-Light: Smelling the body of the cigar gives off a sweet scent of bread, suede, and raw black tea. While the construction is beautiful on this cigar, the triple cap is off-center and there is a noticeable vein midway in the sticks length. The draw is nice and loose and the dry air meets my tongue with a subtle hay taste.

Light: The first puffs remind me of what I call the Tatuaje Flavor. Wonderully nutty, with woodiness and aromatic spice. These however, seem to have more spice on the nose than the previous Tat's I've reviewed in the past. It starts to exibit the depth of flavor very early on. This seems to be a more pronounced Tatuaje than what I've experienced before. The levels of flavors build quickly to show multiple layers of spice flavors. Paprika, Cinnamon, and Fenugreek all show themselves on a nirvana inducing retro-hale.

1/3rd: Notes of honey, vanilla, and cinnamon are most present as we enter the end of the first third. The cigar seems to be burning qucker than most lancero sized vitoilas I've smoked. Sweet tea flavors start to dance on smaller puffs, with a darker more black tea aroma upon double puffs. The ash is a much lighter shade of grey than most cigars this age which indicates high quality tobacco to me. However, the ash seems to fall off every half inch, which doesn't bode well for the roller.

½ Way: The flavors are consistetly building, without becoming over powering. The classic Tatuaje subtleness is found in this cigar as it is in all of Pete Johnsons' creations. While this blend is more powerful than previous Tats I've enjoyed, it seems to be less potent than many of the limited release sticks I've found offered by Pete. Charred oak flavors are coming through at this point. While I have yet to enjoy a whiskey with this cigar, I could see the two going very well together. There is a leatheryness to the smoke that is hard to describe. It isn't the typical leather hues I'm used to, but more of a worked lamb-skin Cabretta leather found in a new golf glove. The burn has remained slightly uneven throughout the cigar, but not to the detriment of the burn. The cigar has kept a perfect even cherry throught the review, and burns well sitting, not just while smoking.

Final 3rd: The small vein on this cigar doesn't appear to be affecting the burn any, as the side which it is present is burning the most even. The flavor is still intensifying as most cigars do as they get into their final stages. This one however, is as smooth and flavorful as it was when it was lit. It doesn't seem to be picking up any bitterness as the oils increase under the Nicaraguan Sun Grown Criollo wrapper. More wood is starting to come through as the leather takes a back seat for a bit. As with most Tatuajes I've had, the hardest part of smoking this cigar is removing the band. Please Pete, make it easier on us to get the paper off! The burn has evened out into a paper thin edge of toasted tobacco, buring evenly around the cigar.

Final Thoughts: This cigar came in at just under 9 grams, which is a bit light when it comes to most lanceros or off-lancero vitoilas. Most 7 x 32 cigars we've tested weighed in at 12-14 grams, with the 6 in Petites usually hitting 10-12. At nearly $9 per stick, this does does reduce the overall value to me as the cigar burns a bit quick. The cigar finished in one hour and fifteen minutes, which is about 25 minutes faster than I enjoy most cigars of a similiar size. That being said, I got more pleasure out of it than some of those as the quality of tobacco on this cigar seems to be second to none. As it is a limited release for Tatuaje, these won't be around long. Do yourself a favor and pick a box up as quckly as you can. This cigar should not be missed.

For the full review, high resoultion photography, and final score, please visit The Daily Tobacconist
Old 02-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Trading: (70)
Brooks W has a spectacular aura aboutBrooks W has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tatuaje Black Label Petite Lancero Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Finger View Post
As it is a limited release for Tatuaje, these won't be around long.
JFIY, the BLPL is a regular release (or as regular as any Tatuaje can be)...There are several places that have them in stock at this very moment...

There was a 200 box prerelease version (you can tell the difference by the fact that the prerelease version has a pigtail and a covered foot), but those have been sold out since early 2011...

Hope that helps!

~brooks
Brooks W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Bad Finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks W View Post
JFIY, the BLPL is a regular release (or as regular as any Tatuaje can be)...There are several places that have them in stock at this very moment...

There was a 200 box prerelease version (you can tell the difference by the fact that the prerelease version has a pigtail and a covered foot), but those have been sold out since early 2011...

Hope that helps!

~brooks
Weird that it isn't listed on their site as a regular. I'll have to check into that. Thanks for the heads up, Brooks!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
Jefft72
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
Jefft72 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review! I picked up one of these a week ago and was going to smoke it tonight, but ran out of time. It will have to wait until this weekend. I am excited to try it out though after reading so many good things about it.
Jefft72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
ChicagoWhiteSox

Anyone smoke an OR from the jar recently? I'm still looking to get one or two of these but they seem impossible to find.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Weird that it isn't listed on their site as a regular. I'll have to check into that. Thanks for the heads up, Brooks!
He has not updated the cigars on the site in a while
Old 02-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Bad Finger

Quote:
He has not updated the cigars on the site in a while
I wish that Pete would have let me know that when he posted our review on twitter. He said he read it, but didn't give much feed back, just reposting it on his social media sites.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Quote:
I wish that Pete would have let me know that when he posted our review on twitter. He said he read it, but didn't give much feed back, just reposting it on his social media sites.
If he retweeted, it means he liked it. LOL!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Fenugreek?
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Anyone smoke an OR from the jar recently? I'm still looking to get one or two of these but they seem impossible to find.
I was gifted one, but I've been sitting on it and can't bring myself to smoke it yet...
TJtorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Guys, I am telling you now, if you have one of the OR Blacks, smoke them soon...they are going downhill fast...I sold all of the ones I had, as they just did not taste like what I loved

What is the point in keeping a cigar until it loses everything that made it great to begin with?

My $.02...

~brooks
Old 02-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Bad Finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
Fenugreek?
Yes, fenugreek. It is the spice that is used as a fake maple flavoring in most maple flavored products (syrup, doughnut glaze, ect).

It is a low cost alternative to actual maple, and therefore raises the profit margin for most food companies.

But yes, I tasted fenugreek in this cigar. Many people reported tasting caramel which is not far off fenugreek on any tasting wheel. Hope that explanation helps!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #13
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Guys, I am telling you now, if you have one of the OR Blacks, smoke them soon...they are going downhill fast...I sold all of the ones I had, as they just did not taste like what I loved

What is the point in keeping a cigar until it loses everything that made it great to begin with?

My $.02...

~brooks
Thanks for your input. Maybe they will bounce back?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Yes, fenugreek. It is the spice that is used as a fake maple flavoring in most maple flavored products (syrup, doughnut glaze, ect).

It is a low cost alternative to actual maple, and therefore raises the profit margin for most food companies.

But yes, I tasted fenugreek in this cigar. Many people reported tasting caramel which is not far off fenugreek on any tasting wheel. Hope that explanation helps!
Soooooooo, why didn't you just write maple?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
Bad Finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
Soooooooo, why didn't you just write maple?
Because if you taste fenugreek next to maple, you can tell the difference. Just like if you taste banana flavoring next to real banana. Same with cinnamon vs. cassia. As a Le Cordon Bleu grad, I would have to give my Chef cred back if I didn't write it exactly as I tasted it.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

My $.02...

~brooks
What is happening with them, Brooks? I had one recently that I thought was really good.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review, I love these sticks. Perfect amount of pepper when I am in the mood and my favorite vitola.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #18
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Definitely a great stick...Nice review and thanks for sharing
Old 02-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #19
darkninja67

Nice review. I like these with some rest on them. One of the better smoke aromas out there IMO
Old 02-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #20
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (17)
Digs will become famous soon enough

Great review, nice pics!

A gun in your hand is better then a cop on the phone
Digs is offline   Reply With Quote