Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Help Me Plan Our Central Florida Vacation

I actually grew up in Central Florida. New Smyrna Beach to be exact. It's just south of Daytona. My ma and her husband now live in Port Orange and the wife and I are going down for a visit at the end of August. The wife has never been to Florida. I've not been in almost twenty-five years.

Of course, we'll do the beach. And I'll bore the missis with a tour of the places we used to live and where I used to go when I was a kid.

But, otherwise:

Ybor City is a two-and-a-half hours drive from where my ma is on the opposite coast. Is it worth the drive? Are there cigar related tours? Is there anything to do besides visit Tampa Sweethearts? Because, if there's not a day's worth of sights to see, I think we'll skip it. If there's a ton to do, perhaps we'll stay the night.

There's a semi-recent thread about Disney World, but it's mostly about where one can smoke there. Last time I was there, there was the Magic Kingdom, and there was the brand new Epcot. That was it. There were, as I remember it, three resort hotels to choose from: The Contemporary, The Polynesian Village, and Fort Wilderness. I know it's grown a lot. Are Hollywood Studios and the other new Disney parks worth a day? What about the other new resort hotels? I know I want to do at least one day at MK. I think I could skip Epcot. What do you fellas think about the other parks?

What else is there to see or do in and around Central Florida? How's Weeki Wachee? I've never been. Gatorland? Never been there either. I know there's a lot of history in St. Augustine. Would that we worth the forty-five minute drive? Would my wife be bored to tears? The other thread here mentions Fat Boy's BBQ in Kissimmee, and Discovery Cove and Corona Cigars both in Orlando.

Any feedback on things to see or eat or do (or avoid!) would be much appreciated!
Old 06-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #2
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help Me Plan Our Central Florida Vacation

Ybor has several cigar places. For food, the Columbia is a great restaurant, a little upscale. Tampa Brewing Company has some great beers and pretty damned good food.
Avoid the area after dark...
Old 06-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
badbriar

Just went to Ybor city last weekend. Place is a ball! Tampa Sweethearts is probably the best of the lot, but I admit that we only hit 8 or so shops. Most of the small cigar shops we saw seemed to have pretty much the same thing. Only bought one freshly hand-rolled and it was honestly horrible!
We missed a few Ybor area cigar shops and plan to road trip again to hit those, along with a visit to Cigar City Brewing co. That place is simply amazing!!! More beers on tap than should be allowed and a great selection at that! We hit a small local place to eat (Tropicana) on 7th and the frijoles negros & café con leche were superb!

There are several more cigar places in Tampa as well. You all could do Busch Gardens and the Florida Aquarium. Also a place over there known for smoked fish is Ted Peters.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:24 AM   #4
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Saint Augustine is cool. There are some places to drink and smoke.
Kennedy Space Center has some nice exhibits and tours.
Florida has changed a lot since you were last there. To see some "old Florida" a stop at Flagler Beach will take you back down memory lane. Have fun.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
badbriar

Discovery Cove is superb! One admission price and all your drinks, lunch & snacks are no further cost. Gotta like to swim a lot and like cold, salt water. Best of the theme parks by far. Don't do the swim with the Dolphins, though - IMHO, not worth the premium price.

St Augustine is more of a walking/ trolley riding self guided thing. Get the trolley pass.

Beaches, fishing, golf and shopping are wesome in Sarasota and Venice. Good cigar shops, too!