Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice
Default Considering a cruise.....

.....that will stop in St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Puerto Rico and Tortola. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do in those ports? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Considering a cruise.....

It depends upon whether you are planning to do something on your own in port, or if you are going with a cruise-line-provided excursion. I prefer the latter, because although a little costly, the excursion people work with the cruise line to ensure that you are back in port on time**. Also, the cruise lines make sure that the excursion vendors meet their standards.

My wife and son did a sailboat racing excursion in St. Maarten and really enjoyed it. I did an island tour with my younger son that was also very good. At other times we also just walked around on our own -- sightseeing and shopping.

We did an island tour on St. Thomas that was also pretty good -- very scenic island. We also had time for sightseeing on our own and shopping.

In Puerto Rico my wife did a Zip-Line excursion and I went on a tour of the Bicardi Rum distillery. Was a great tour. Afterwards we both had time to do some sightseeing and shopping.

All of these ports are great places to visit. What cruise line are you on (or considering)?

** - This is important because if an excursion finishes late, the ship will wait. If you are on your own and late, the ship will leave without you.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to go on a cruise sometime. Maybe. I've always avoided it like the plague, because I imagine it's like being stuck in a mall on the water.
I'd like to see all those countries, too.

Recommendations...
Start drinking early. You can't drink all day if you don't get any early start.
Ask the local friends about food. Listen to NOTHING they tell you on the boat.
I don't know how long you will be in each port, but the first thing I'd do is get as far away as I can in the time allotted, and really see the country.
It may cost a bit for a driver to take you out on an all-day authetic, seat of the pants tour deal, but that's where the flavor is, my friend.

***I just read Michael's post. He grabbed a lot of what I'd try to see.
But I'm pretty much his polar opposite. I'd think it was absolutely awesome that we missed the cruise and had to fly to the next port.
Plus I'd probably have missed the boat cause we all got sh1t-faced at the chicken bingo, and were out running down critters in the mud so we can have our own critter bingo.
It's probably best that NOBODY take my suggestions.

Last edited by shilala; 10-14-2015 at 12:11 PM.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

On each cruise line's web site they list excursions specific to each cruise. Everything from snorkeling to horseback riding to zip lining to shopping tours to historical walking tours. Just depends on your interests.

You can usually book most of the same tours once you get in port for a little less money. The trade off is tour operator isn't vetted by the cruise line so the safety/reliability may or may not be the same. Also when you book a tour through the cruise line they absolutely guarantee the ship will wait for you if the excursion is late getting back. If you book on your own and for some reason are late getting back, you may find an empty spot where the ship was docked. Again, depends on how important saving some bucks are to you.

If you only plan to see a port once in your life, it's worth it (to me at least) to get out and see some of the city or surrounding countryside. If you just walk around the port areas by the ship, you'll get to see many Diamond International stores but you'll never really see a city/countryside you traveled a hell of a long way to visit.

Lastly if you go to St. Maarten, it's a split island. Half Dutch, half French. I'd recommend a tour that takes you to both sides just so you get to see a bit of the difference in cultures.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

If you're going to Old San Juan in Puerto Rico I have a recommendation. My wife and I went there about two years ago and none of the excursions really appealed to us. So we waited until all of the excursions left the ship, walked out of the port, and took a taxi to the fort, Castillo San Felipe del Morro. We did the self-guided tour which was very interesting and there are some great views from the fort, too. Then we slowly wandered back down to the port (it's not that far and is all downhill), sightseeing, shopping for rum and cigars, and having an awesome lunch at one of the local restaurants (the shrimp mofungo was friggin' awesome!).

In St Thomas we took the Sky Ride up to Paradise Point. It was an absolutely phenomenal view. If you're going to do this, check online for ticket prices before you book through the cruise ship; you'll almost certainly be able to get them cheaper just walking up to the window and buying them vs. through the ship.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

I have been on many, many Eastern and Western Caribbean Cruises and have done it a few different ways, in the beginning.

Advice given above:

"It depends upon whether you are planning to do something on your own in port, or if you are going with a cruise-line-provided excursion. I prefer the latter, because although a little costly, the excursion people work with the cruise line to ensure that you are back in port on time**. Also, the cruise lines make sure that the excursion vendors meet their standards."

This is excellent advise. Everything is well planned and you get to do and enjoy things without having to worry about schedules and so on! You are always well taken care of by the vendors you visit, as they what the return business from the cruise ship team.
Money very well spent!
Old 10-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Thanks for all of the recommendations, guys.

We've been on quite a few cruises and usually either book an excursion or head out to a local beach on our own. We've never been to these ports, so I think it will be a mix of beach time and sightseeing. I'm intrigued by James' recommendations in San Juan. I will most definitely bring this to my wife's attention.

On a side note, we pulled the trigger last night and booked a Haven room. I'm gonna be pampered for ten days! The room comes with all of the specialty restaurants and the ultimate beverage package included in the price. I'm pretty sure the butler even presses and starches your underpants. I'm gonna be full of good food and drunk the entire cruise!

Thanks again, fellas.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Which is the excursion where you get mauled by frenzied sharks?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #9
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Nice, Dave! The wife and I have been looking into those Haven Suites, but we want to do it when we have some more family and friends to go along and enjoy it with. And trying to get everyone on the same page is like herding oiled cats. Maybe in 2017...

After your cruise I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the Haven.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #10
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Oh and Dave, for reference here's a map of Old San Juan. It's approx. 3/4 of a mile as the crow flies from Castillo San Felipe del Morro in the upper left to the port at the bottom.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #11
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Oh and Dave, for reference here's a map of Old San Juan. It's approx. 3/4 of a mile as the crow flies from Castillo San Felipe del Morro in the upper left to the port at the bottom.

This is a fabulous area to visit. My wife and have have spent many hours walking around and dinning, within this area, over several trips.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #12
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
Thanks for all of the recommendations, guys.

We've been on quite a few cruises and usually either book an excursion or head out to a local beach on our own. We've never been to these ports, so I think it will be a mix of beach time and sightseeing. I'm intrigued by James' recommendations in San Juan. I will most definitely bring this to my wife's attention.

On a side note, we pulled the trigger last night and booked a Haven room. I'm gonna be pampered for ten days! The room comes with all of the specialty restaurants and the ultimate beverage package included in the price. I'm pretty sure the butler even presses and starches your underpants. I'm gonna be full of good food and drunk the entire cruise!

Thanks again, fellas.
Quote:
Nice, Dave! The wife and I have been looking into those Haven Suites, but we want to do it when we have some more family and friends to go along and enjoy it with. And trying to get everyone on the same page is like herding oiled cats. Maybe in 2017...

After your cruise I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the Haven.
The Haven Suites differ from ship to ship. In all cases you get an amazing cabin and service. The difference is some ships actually have a private area only accessible to Haven passengers, while on some ships it's simply a very upgraded cabin and overall experience.

The last time we cruised NCL, we stayed in a Haven Suite on the Pearl which had the private Haven area. The area included a separate pool with a retractable glass cover on top of the ship, separate sun area, separate hot tub, luxurious furniture around the pool - all in all a really unforgettable experience. I've looked into some other NCL ships and found while they offer Haven Suites, they don't all have the private Haven area.

I told the butler to stay the hell away from my underpants for his own good. The wife used him more than I did. They bring you a snack each afternoon. Will serve meals in your cabin if you want. Will bring you DVDs. Pretty much will do whatever you want them to do. They each cover a number of cabins though so they keep pretty busy. We were really low maintenance for him.

One of the perks I really enjoyed was daily breakfast in Cagny's Steakhouse. Steak and eggs, French Press coffee - those were the days.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #13
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Good info, Bill. Now to the most important question: could you smoke cigars in the private area?
Old 10-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

Partagas

Quote:
Good info, Bill. Now to the most important question: could you smoke cigars in the private area?
No, the cruise lines have severely limited all smoking in public areas. However, NCL is fairly unique in that most of their ships have very nicely appointed cigar lounges. I'm quite happy when I have a lounge.

For the most part the other lines make you sit in an open deck area and hope it isn't raining or windy or ungodly hot. When I book a cruise on NCL I always check to make sure they have a lounge on whatever ship I'm considering.

We did a Carnival cruise not too long ago and cigar smokers were forced to sit on an open deck by one of the pools, subject to whatever weather we were experiencing at the time. Pretty much sucked. I won't be cruising with Carnival again anytime soon.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #15
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

My wife is quite claustrophobic so we always get a balcony room. I've just smoked on the balcony and never had any issues. Did that on Carnival, but that was four years ago; maybe they've changed since then.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #16
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

Partagas

Carnival banned smoking on the balcony a year or so back. So has NCL. I'm not sure if any of the lines still allow lighting up on the balcony. I used to really enjoy getting an aft facing balcony and sitting out at night with a cigar and drink watching the wake.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #17
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Can't wait to see PR. We are planning on an excursion through the rain forest and then see what other time we might have. Can't wait for the Haven experience. This one is on the Gem and has all the private areas for Haven only. Should be an awesome time. We leave tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #18
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

How would somebody catch you if you were smoking on your balcony?
Old 10-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #19
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
How would somebody catch you if you were smoking on your balcony?
Other people nearby would complain. That's why they stopped allowing smoking on the balconies -- the smoke drifted and people complained.

If you do smoke on your balcony and get caught the result can vary from a stiff fine to being thrown off the ship at the next port or both. Depends upon the cruise line.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #20
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Yep. I checked Norwegian's web site and they stopped allowing smoking on their balconies Nov 2014. If you get caught it's a $250 "cleaning" fee.
Oh well, at least they still have cigar lounges on board.