Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default *2011 MLB Thread*

*2011 MLB Thread*

Here it is guys. Spring training is not far off. Some big moves in late 2010 has made me excited for 2011. I think its hard not to mention the BoSox transactions, and how they have improved for this year. And yes, the Phillies are ballers. KW came through for the south side, and I like the moves we made.

How's your team looking for 2011 so far?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *2011 MLB Thread*

My Mets are looking pretty sad. Pitching might not make it through Spring Training.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
My Mets are looking pretty sad. Pitching might not make it through Spring Training.
When will Johan Santana be ready?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Go Yankees!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
Trading: (3)
kugie will become famous soon enough

Red Sox are looking good aquiring Crawford and Gonzales
Old 01-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
ChicagoWhiteSox

The Reds on Sunday agreed to terms on a three-year, $38 million contract with first baseman and National League Most Valuable Player Joey Votto.

Also, I think it's interesting that Pujols is so unwilling to speak about his status after 2011, which is his last year on the contract. I suspect he may want to play somewhere else after this year.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
Go Yankees!
Ryan, the Yankees have a tougher road to the playoffs this year for sure. I see the AL east being a close battle this year.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Some big things going on right now. Looks like the Angels might be swapping Juan Rivera and Mike Napoli for Vernon Wells of Toronto, and it looks like Damon and Manny heading to Tampa Bay!
Old 01-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
ChicagoWhiteSox

Billy Butler and the Royals have agreed to a four-year, $30 million contract extension, the first baseman said on Saturday.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
ChicagoWhiteSox

Alexei Ramirez and the Sox have agreed to a contract extension, four years, $32.5 million, with a $10 million option for the fifth year. I like it. The kid has some serious skills at shortstop, and should continue to get better at the plate.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
Old 01-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #11
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

I always liked Alexei

When I watch him play I feel like his numbers should be better.
A lot of talent there.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #12
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
I always liked Alexei

When I watch him play I feel like his numbers should be better.
A lot of talent there.
I guess with his great glove you expect great numbers at the plate. I actually feel the same way you do about him. He will get better at the plate with time. And even better at SS, he has one of the greats to mentor him.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
ChicagoWhiteSox

Five teams hope to cash in after going all in, Red Sox, White Sox, Tigers, Phils, Brewers play to win in 2011. The question is will it payoff. For me I don't see why it won't for the Red Sox and Phils. I see big improvements on the south side too. The Tigers and Brewers improved, but I'm still not sure on them. Time will tell. Come on Spring Training!!

Brewers nearing deal with veteran Kotsay from the White Sox..

Also, the Tribe are in talks with Bonderman??
Old 02-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #14
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Five teams hope to cash in after going all in, Red Sox, White Sox, Tigers, Phils, Brewers play to win in 2011.

Also, the Tribe are in talks with Bonderman??

Just my , and worth every penny, but until somebody proves me otherwise, I will stick with the Twinkies in the AL Central.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #15
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Just my , and worth every penny, but until somebody proves me otherwise, I will stick with the Twinkies in the AL Central.
Yeah, it seems that the Twins have a legit team every year. The AL central should be a nice fight to watch this year. The wild card could come out of the central.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I like the moves the Tigers made in the offseason. Matinez and Benoit look like good additions. If Brennan Boesch can even hit for the same numbers as last year without all the ups/downs, they'll be in pretty good shape.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #17
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
I like the moves the Tigers made in the offseason. Matinez and Benoit look like good additions. If Brennan Boesch can even hit for the same numbers as last year without all the ups/downs, they'll be in pretty good shape.
What about their pitching? That may be an issue for them
Old 02-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #18
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
What about their pitching? That may be an issue for them
Starters:
J. Verlander
M. Scherzer
R. Porcello
P. Coke
B. Penny

I think 1-2 are rock solid. Porcello is extremely talented, but not sure if we'll see the 2009 version (14-9 3.96 ERA) or the 2010 version (10-12 4.92 ERA). To be honest I think he's more than capable of blowing away his rookie numbers. Coke was great for us in the pen last year. Not sure how that transition will work out. Penny seems to be a good pickup for a 5th starter.

Bullpen:
J. Valverde
J. Benoit
R. Perry
B. Thomas
J. Zumaya
D. Schlereth
A. Alburquerque

I think again, 1-2 are lights out. Perry is similar to Porcello in that he has all the talent in the world, just hoping he takes that next step. His ERA is decent, but I'd like to see him cut down on walks. Thomas has been good for us, and Zumaya could just be gravy. They aren't counting on him at all. So, if he can eat some innings up, so be it. If he returns to old form, even better. Shlereth has some promise.

Lineup looks good, especially the heart of it:
1. A. Jackson CF
2. W. Rhymes/C. Guillen 2B
3. M. Ordonez DH
4. M. Cabrera 1B
5. V. Martinez C
6. B. Boesch RF
7. D. Kelly/R. Raburn LF
8. J. Peralta SS
9. B. Inge 3B
Old 02-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #19
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Starters:
J. Verlander
M. Scherzer
R. Porcello
P. Coke
B. Penny

I think 1-2 are rock solid. Porcello is extremely talented, but not sure if we'll see the 2009 version (14-9 3.96 ERA) or the 2010 version (10-12 4.92 ERA). To be honest I think he's more than capable of blowing away his rookie numbers. Coke was great for us in the pen last year. Not sure how that transition will work out. Penny seems to be a good pickup for a 5th starter.

Bullpen:
J. Valverde
J. Benoit
R. Perry
B. Thomas
J. Zumaya
D. Schlereth
A. Alburquerque

I think again, 1-2 are lights out. Perry is similar to Porcello in that he has all the talent in the world, just hoping he takes that next step. His ERA is decent, but I'd like to see him cut down on walks. Thomas has been good for us, and Zumaya could just be gravy. They aren't counting on him at all. So, if he can eat some innings up, so be it. If he returns to old form, even better. Shlereth has some promise.

Lineup looks good, especially the heart of it:
1. A. Jackson CF
2. W. Rhymes/C. Guillen 2B
3. M. Ordonez DH
4. M. Cabrera 1B
5. V. Martinez C
6. B. Boesch RF
7. D. Kelly/R. Raburn LF
8. J. Peralta SS
9. B. Inge 3B
Tigers have a good team, no doubt about that. As good at the White Sox and Twins, well that remains to be seen. AL central should be fun to watch this year
Old 02-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #20
Will herf for food

VR

Agreed. AL Central is usually fun to watch.