Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about
Default Anyone ever been to Guam?

Looks like I could be going to Guam for four months here soon. What should I expect? What should I make sure I do? Cigars?

Thanks in advance,

James
Old 06-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone ever been to Guam?

Ohhhh boy! Bring some smokes with you.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_B View Post
Ohhhh boy! Bring some smokes with you.
****, what does that mean?

I dont like the sound of it!
Old 06-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Send Eric (Goat Locker) a PM. He lived there for a while.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Send Eric (Goat Locker) a PM. He lived there for a while.
Thank you good sir
Old 06-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

No man its a great place. A lot like HI but great for a few months. If you dive you will love the place(as long as your command doesnt ban it). There are a few bars and night clubs there and I found the food great. The smokes I found there where not always the best. I did a lot of diving and beach stuff while there. The whole island felt like a strip mall but you know people have to make a buck. You have any specifics you want to know shoot me a PM. I may still have my trip packet around here somewhere.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

That's a long way from home. Good luck out there. I hear that we are building up our miliary out there.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_B View Post
No man its a great place. A lot like HI but great for a few months. If you dive you will love the place(as long as your command doesnt ban it). There are a few bars and night clubs there and I found the food great. The smokes I found there where not always the best. I did a lot of diving and beach stuff while there. The whole island felt like a strip mall but you know people have to make a buck. You have any specifics you want to know shoot me a PM. I may still have my trip packet around here somewhere.
Awesome...as far as I have heard diving is allowed! I probably will PM you later this week if it is confirmed I am going! Thanks
Old 06-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

James...there are a lot worse places to be!!! Guam isn't bad at all!!
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
James...there are a lot worse places to be!!! Guam isn't bad at all!!
Oh I know...I am actually really excited. This will be the first time the USAF has taken me over seas
Old 06-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Had a friend in the Air Force stationed there. He said there were a chitload of tree snakes. You don't see a lot of them, but they're everywhere. Don't walk in the jungle at night.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
GoatLocker
Dr of Quantum Inebrionics

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Cohiba Navy (Active)
GoatLocker has disabled reputation

Looks like you will be there just in time for typhoon season!

I spent 5 years there and loved it. If you like white sandy beaches and 84 degree turquoise water filled with tropical fish and coral, you will love it. It is pretty warm and humid, but being in the south, you are pretty use to that.

SCUBA diving is outstanding, as is fishing, snorkeling and hiking (known as boonie stomping there). There are nice restaurants, a mini-waikiki like tourist area and Guams famous Fiestas, basically big parties hosted by various villages on weekends. You might also want to visit the islands of Saipan and Rota just to the north of Guam.

Definately drop me a PM if want some specific recommendations!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #13
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post

I spent 5 years there and loved it. If you like white sandy beaches and 84 degree turquoise water filled with tropical fish and coral, you will love it. It is pretty warm and humid, but being in the south, you are pretty use to that.

SCUBA diving is outstanding, as is fishing, snorkeling and hiking (known as boonie stomping there). There are nice restaurants, a mini-waikiki like tourist area and Guams famous Fiestas, basically big parties hosted by various villages on weekends. You might also want to visit the islands of Saipan and Rota just to the north of Guam.

I knew I could count on you, Eric.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #14
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:

Eric,

Thanks so much for the information. I am getting even more excited now! I will definitely hit you up for some more information later. Thanks to everyone who replied!

--James
Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #15
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Had a friend in the Air Force stationed there. He said there were a chitload of tree snakes. You don't see a lot of them, but they're everywhere. Don't walk in the jungle at night.
Boiga irregularis is harmless. Also kind of cute. They are technically venomous (rear fanged), but the envenomation experts who have intensively studied the species say that it's a non issue to humans.

I've worked with that genus a fair bit, though I prefer the more attractive and medically interesting species. They're fairly laid back and easy as pie to handle. And when they're not, mostly I don't care since a bite is inconsequential. It is somewhat annoying to get a faceful or a hand full of Boiga teeth, but really not that big a deal. It may bleed a bit freely as they have interesting components in their saliva as well as rather long teeth designed for arboreal hunting. Don't sweat about it; it's unlikely to get any worse than that. It is theoretically possible for you to have an allergic reaction (a type 1 hypersensitivity) just as with a wasp or bee sting, but that is a rare case, and unless that happens, the bite won't even be as bad as a wasp or bee sting.

The worst systemic effect anyone has ever reported from a Boiga bite is a headache and dry mouth, and that was from something much larger and more potent than the brown tree snake currently invading Guam. I am aware of the reports of one infant death and several infant injuries on Guam, but I just got back from an academic summit where those specific cases were laid out and discussed. The expert verdict was that it was not the venom that was the actual cause of death, but asphyxia. Whether this was caused by the snake is also questionable. The better questions to ask in the cases I saw discussed were, "why did the parents leave the infants outdoors and unattended for that length of time?"

Summary: those tree snakes = not much for humans to worry about, except that they have moved in and wrecked the indigenous wildlife. They're an ecological concern, not a human safety concern.
TanithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #16
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanithT View Post
Summary: those tree snakes = not much for humans to worry about, except that they have moved in and wrecked the indigenous wildlife. They're an ecological concern, not a human safety concern.
Thanks for the info. Tree snakes = heart attacks for me!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #17
GoatLocker
Dr of Quantum Inebrionics

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Cohiba Navy (Active)
GoatLocker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanithT View Post
They are pretty harmless, but the Guam Power Authority would be lost without them, as they blame them for virtually every power outage on the island. They do get pretty big, like 7-8 feet.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:16 PM   #18
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough

Sounds like fun james....take care...and enjoy if you go...
Old 06-16-2009, 11:33 PM   #19
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
They are pretty harmless, but the Guam Power Authority would be lost without them, as they blame them for virtually every power outage on the island. They do get pretty big, like 7-8 feet.
They're correct in blaming them for the power outages. These slithery fellows are causing massive problems in that respect as well as to the local wildlife. They can be somewhat naughty and snappish, but are not dangerous to humans. Unless they blow your power lines while you are on life support, in which case you're screwed.

In their natural habitat these guys generally max out at 5-6 feet, but they're getting bigger on Guam due to the easy pickings and optimal temperatures. It's a shame they're federally banned; I would not at all mind adding some of the Guam giant Boiga to my collection. They are a bit drab and their venom is nothing to write home about, but at a size like that they might be fun to play with. Sneak me back two or three of those 8-footers in your pocket, would ya?

This is how much fun they are to play with.

Last edited by TanithT; 06-16-2009 at 11:42 PM.
TanithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #20
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

Bump