Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #681
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Being a Hockey Parent

Sounds like a great time, Scott. I have never been to Nashville, but would like to get there someday.

Happy New Year to you!
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #682
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Well, in a little bit we will head to the 3rd rink in the past 24 hours. 2 High School JV games and one house league game with the Little One. Forgot the camera for the High School game last night, but here are a few shots from this afternoon....

Only one goal today, but a solid all around game....

Old 01-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #683
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Though the JVers pulled another tie tonight, felt like a loss. Gave up the tying goal with under a minute to go and an empty net in front of them. Just a bad ending. 1-1.

On the flip side, their only goal of the night, came off the boys stick. He took this rough, super cheap shot as he was coming down the ice....puck was never anywhere near him. Convinced it was retaliation for his nasty play in front of the net. Anyway, he was not hurt and seemed amused by the whole thing as the penalty was being sorted out.(5 minute major)

Didn't take long for the Little Man to take advantage of the penalty.... This was such a GREAT slap shot that went top corner. Goalie didn't have a chance.... I was yelling at him that he had time(actually was surprised he didn't slide in from the point more before firing it), so didn't get a pic of the actual shot... I seriously could have hit him with a piece of popcorn he was so close as he took it. Celebration is just fine.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #684
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Oh and maybe one of the coolest things of the night.... I was at the tunnel as the kids came out, telling them good job ect.... Then the refs come off the ice and one is saying to the other, "That #14 on white was a monster." Made my night....
Old 01-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #685
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Varsity no longer undefeated.... Gave up 3 goals(1 EN) in the last 4:07 to lose by 2 to the 2 time defending state champs. Not their best effort. Both teams were undefeated and one had to lose.....still tough to take.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #686
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Played 3 half ice games this morning. Followed by a full ice game for the championship.
Kid played well. Very well. In the championship game against trivalley he had 3 points. 2 goals and 1 assist in a 5 to 5 tie. They won in a shoutout. Trivalley was bigger but kids played a team game and or goalie played well.

Outside the rink in San Francisco

Will post a video of his penalty shot goal from championship game. Had a breakaway and kid dove and used stick to take out his legs.

Scarry moment. Got tangled with kid went into boards head hit the boards and his arm was up as he fell. He then laid there. Thought he might have gotten knocked out. Nope, Hurt his knee. Everyone was like WTF knee? Had a limp off ice, but when out there skated like usual. Lot of hustle today. Was super proud of his compete today.

Came home. In garage screwing around with pucks.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #687
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

^^^ Congrats, Mike... GREAT JOB, Micah!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #688
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

That low bridge hit picture looks scary. $hit like that is unacceptable.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #689
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Today we taught Micah how to ride a bike. He's 6 and has had a bike since 4.5. Its funny as we have spent so much time with hockey and baseball, bikes just never got handled. Not bad though went from not being able to balance or ride to riding a pretty good distance around the school in about 50 minutes. Reminded me need to male sure we have him play more sports
Old 01-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #690
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

We are 2-0 for the weekend with 2 more games to go....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Today we taught Micah how to ride a bike. He's 6 and has had a bike since 4.5. Its funny as we have spent so much time with hockey and baseball, bikes just never got handled. Not bad though went from not being able to balance or ride to riding a pretty good distance around the school in about 50 minutes. Reminded me need to male sure we have him play more sports
NICE!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #691
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

With 1 game cancelled due to weather, we still ended up 3-0 for the weekend.... Few photos from tonight...

Old 01-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #692
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

A friend/one of his HS teammates filled in tonight, it would be nice if he finished the season with them.

Wouldn't be a game if he didn't get here once....

Little Sister goes down and congratulates her favorite players....

Old 01-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #693
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
There is a kid on my son's team, the Captain in fact, he is the biggest kid on the team, and one of the older 98's...he never learned to ride a bike.

The boy can play virtually any sport but they said he just never wanted to ride a bike.

On a side note, our boys had 4 games in Detroit this weekend, 2-2 again, it seems to be a recurring theme this year

My kid is settling in nicely to his role as pest, he took a penalty in each game, roughing, boarding, slashing and roughing.
We were in a hurry to get up there Friday to beat the weather (didn't work out too well) and I told my kid I'd pack everything for him so we could leave when he got off the bus. We get up Saturday morning and head to Plymouth and my kid calls me from the locker room, he had NO jerseys or socks. I packed his practice gear. Doh.

So each game this weekend, he wore the jersey of whichever goalie wasn't starting. It was hilarious after a while, the coaches were yelling "Go Hickey! and Go Ison!" (The goalie names, their parents were yucking it up as well when my kid took penalties or scored, it ended up being pretty fun)

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #694
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Nice! Glad it worked out. The coach on his club team had to give everyone a nickname. That would have been even stranger for you I would think. We were even provided with a laminated card with all nicknames and info. At first it was fun now its lame and most of us just use their names. Micah is Thor because of hair and style of play. He wanted Pikachu, but coach wouldnt allow it.

Micah was boarded for the first time on Saturday in inhouse by a rather dusty kid. He was repeatedly victimizing the kid taking the puck, deeking him and making him fall and occasionaly yard sale his stick. He went to the board to get the puck amd this just decides to skate up and hit him from behind. He was close to the boards so he wasnt hurt. He was clearly pissed. He turns around and punches the kid in the facemask and pushes him. I guess being 8 and having a 6 year old keep beating you gets a kid mad.

None of this was that bad. I am largely a believer that kids need to police themselves on most types of hits. what concearned me was what the kids father did after the hit. He was at the wall where it happened and I dont know if he told his son to do it. What I noticed was when it happened his dad cheered loudly. When the shift ended his dad went near where his kid was got his attention and gave him a fist pump and cheered him. That was my WTF moment and I decided I would make him miserable and troll him hard. I grabbed another parent and moved over near where he was. We make little comments everytime he tries to trip or kid or gets his pocket picked. Towards the end of the game the kid gets pissed after the boy steals the puck from him again and the kid decides to get his stick blade in Micahs facemask and push at him. I go for the knockout shot at this point. I look at buddy and say wow has this kid ever played hockey before? He boards, he trips, he highsticks. Id be so proud. I made eye contact with the kids dad and smiled. Guy had nothing to say now. I probably shouldnt have, but I got so pissed that a parent would cheer and encourage his kid to run someone. It happens, but you dont encourage it.

Last edited by Ahbroody; 01-23-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #695
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Good day yesterday on the ice.... Both kids teams won, both found the back of the net. Odd the Little Man is lighting the lamp so much lately. I posted a bit back that he isn't known for his scoring, but now has goals in 3 of their last 4(JVers) and they are 2-2-0 after starting the season with loss after loss. Some type of ying/yang thing going on, the Varsity who was(is?) one of the favorites for the State Title, has lost 2 straight(one game to go before the playoffs) after starting the season winning 11 straight.

So as stated, not known for scoring, but is known for his defensive play....and apparently going into the box. Last night, visited there not once, not twice....but three times. His mother said "It's a box trick." All the parents around us were yucking it up when he went in the first time, "He just doesn't feel like it's a game if he doesn't get in there, huh." That just continued when the others happened.

The other team never capitalized on the penalties, but I stress that they will.... That said, they never seem to be terrible penalties or overtly dirty play....but Christ, 3 trips and leading the team in PM for the year....

Puck is 4 hole popping the net....

Old 01-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #696
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Uhhh wtf is up with George there. Nice sag on the pants. I dont think I have seen anyone but a U8 do that and it wasnt on purpose.

Nice pics. Looking at goal celly I realized the boy doesnt do it. Its kind of weird. The most he does is a stick lift and thats not all the time.

Tonight -Wed 1.5 hrs a day we are doing Robby Glantz power skating clinic. He got a discount through his club team. 4.5 hours under $150. Interested to see the results. Hes fast for his age. Wondering if they can get more out of him.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #697
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Uhhh wtf is up with George there. Nice sag on the pants. I dont think I have seen anyone but a U8 do that and it wasnt on purpose.

Nice pics. Looking at goal celly I realized the boy doesnt do it. Its kind of weird. The most he does is a stick lift and thats not all the time.

Tonight -Wed 1.5 hrs a day we are doing Robby Glantz power skating clinic. He got a discount through his club team. 4.5 hours under $150. Interested to see the results. Hes fast for his age. Wondering if they can get more out of him.
Interested to hear what you think about the clinic. I think I will get the Little One in some PS as soon as her schedule dies down a bit.

She gets the celebrating from her brother and a few of the other boys on the teams he is on... It is not often that I see a Mite celebrate in her games, at least more than a stick raise....but her...

Heading to the last Varsity regular season game here in a half hour.... This is going to be BIG.... We went from undefeated and the #1 seed in their division, to the number #4 in the past 2 weeks. Losses to #2 & #3.... Team we are playing tonight is now #1. We cannot drop out of the #4 related to points we have already accrued, but a win tonight would be big for the boys confidence. Losing the last 2 has been tough....
Old 01-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #698
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

First day I thought was good. unlike the stickhandling class which I thought was a little over his head, the Glantz power skating class was very good. Good number of instructors. Robby Glantz is very good with the kids.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #699
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Busy day today..... Utah High School Skills Competition and then 2 games. Went Fun, 1 & 1.

These first 2 pics are one of the skills comps, the "fastest skater"... Just one lap around the ice. Some kids could fly...it was fun to watch...

Getting some rest on the bench....

Warming up for the "most accurate shot" comp.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #700
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

We had about an hour and 15 minutes from when we left the Skills Comp to drive 30 minutes and get to the arena where they were playing their games tonight... We stopped at a local burger joint(his choice) on the way, picked up two big burgers & a large fry and he pounded them on the way. 2.5 hours on the ice, short break where you pound that type of food and then 2.5 hours on the ice and you don't puke???? To be young again...

Have decided that if he is going to go into the box every game, I'm going to shoot him there.... Along with the 2 burgers and a fry, he had 3 Gatorades...

This was such a BOMB from the point.... BOOM!

Notice, different jersey, game 2...back in the box. Honestly, this was not his deal. He had a break and was hit from the side and ran the goalie. One of their guys didn't take kindly to that and one then lead to another....and both sit for 5.

Threw this in, as it was a crazy play. The LM clipped the kid behind him(he was breaking into the zone) and the ref didn't get out of the way. He ten-toed that ref and I really didn't know if he(the ref) was getting up. He laid on the ice for a while(game still going). When he did get up, his arm was hanging. Think he probably landed on his back and elbow.....bet that hurt. Look at the face of our coach and the players on the bench....they're like, oh...this isn't going to end good.