Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 09-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough
Default New Peterson 307

My new Peterson 307 came in yesterday and I may try to send it back to Peterson for a replacement. I knew going in they have been having some QC issues, but I decided to take the chance anyways.

It seems to smoke well and it's much cooler than my cobs, but the draft hole seems to be quite a bit higher than the very bottom of the bowl. I want to say it's like 1/4 of an inch from the bottom.

The pipe smoked well as far as I can tell. I had to relight several times, but it seems as though I have to do that no matter what. However, once the ash table got down to where the draft hole I was unable to keep it going, which resulted in quite a bit of dottle at the end.

The pipe also has a few small cosmetic issues where it looks like they may have plugged some areas on the surface of the briar, but they are hard to notice. I can accept the minor aesthetic flaws, but wish the pipe to smoke as good as possible. If Peterson won't replace it, then I'll try to fill the bottom with some pipe mud.

Anyone buy some newer Peterson's recently and have the draft hole sitting high?
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
WaRevo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Peterson 307

Not a Peteron but Pictures are a good start to see what is going on! Easier for advise with pictures.

James
WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

I don't know if I'll be able to get in that close for a photo, but I can try later this evening.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Wayne
Cohiba
OnePyroTec will become famous soon enough

Before you send it back, check other pipes of the same style/model. It could be the way THAT type is made.

I found out the hard way the Peterson Customer Service girl who does the emails is a moron. I sent close up pictures and complete details of what I thought were issues of a new 999. When the pipe made it back to the service dept. it was deem to have been made correctly and they sent my pipe back with a pack of cleaners.

On the 999, even though it CAN BE, the drought hole IS NOT drilled center and it does come is a bit higher than the bottom of the bowl...and is correct according to Peterson.

I don't own a 307 so I'm not sure if it is supposed to be drilled that way or not. I will suggest keep doing your homework as you are now, before possibly wasting your money on postage. Find more people who own the same pipe and or call a few shops that may have one on hand to verify for you.
OnePyroTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePyroTec View Post
Before you send it back, check other pipes of the same style/model. It could be the way THAT type is made.

I found out the hard way the Peterson Customer Service girl who does the emails is a moron. I sent close up pictures and complete details of what I thought were issues of a new 999. When the pipe made it back to the service dept. it was deem to have been made correctly and they sent my pipe back with a pack of cleaners.

On the 999, even though it CAN BE, the drought hole IS NOT drilled center and it does come is a bit higher than the bottom of the bowl...and is correct according to Peterson.

I don't own a 307 so I'm not sure if it is supposed to be drilled that way or not. I will suggest keep doing your homework as you are now, before possibly wasting your money on postage. Find more people who own the same pipe and or call a few shops that may have one on hand to verify for you.
Okay, thanks. Cup o Joe said this is pretty normal. I'm waiting to hear back from peterson still. In the meantime, I will call around too.

I tried to take a picture and it just doesn't focus well enough.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Wayne
Cohiba
OnePyroTec will become famous soon enough

IMHO you are wasting your time with Peterson directly. I sent this photo explaining that I felt the hole was drilled off center and was too high as well as coming in above the bottom of the chamber. Their reply was to send in the pipe. THEN weeks later I get an email stating the pipe is as designed (confirmed from other 999 owners) and that they couldn't tell from the picture I supplied what I was asking about...you tell me what you see!

OnePyroTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePyroTec View Post
IMHO you are wasting your time with Peterson directly. I sent this photo explaining that I felt the hole was drilled off center and was too high as well as coming in above the bottom of the chamber. Their reply was to send in the pipe. THEN weeks later I get an email stating the pipe is as designed (confirmed from other 999 owners) and that they couldn't tell from the picture I supplied what I was asking about...you tell me what you see!

I actually read that the drilling high into the shank (is that the right word?) is normal for a system pipe. Mine is drilled like that too.

What I don't understand is why they don't bore out the bowl more shallow so that the draft hole doesn't sit so high. I'll probably just fill it with pipe mud. Thanks for sharing your experience.