Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough
Default USPS Prepaid Flat-Rate Priority Mail FOREVER Postage

Flat Rates and Forever® Postage
Make Shipping Even Simpler

Prepaid Forever Priority Mail Flat Rate™ Packaging…
now available for order.
Looking to save time and money on shipping? The Postal Service™ has made it easier with Prepaid Forever Priority Mail Flat Rate Packaging. You’ll get the same Flat Rate Shipping with the added convenience of “Forever” postage already applied.

Our convenient Flat Rates already eliminate weighing and guesswork. And postage-paid packaging makes your shipping tasks even easier. So stock up now… and pay the same Flat Rate.

Small flatrate boxes are $5.20. Saw this on SD, and figured the guys tht ship enough will get good use out of this.

http://www.usps.com/shipping/prepaid.htm
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: USPS Prepaid Flat-Rate Priority Mail FOREVER Postage

These look interesting. May have to look into them!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

But that is more than the current price for online flat rate? I guess this means they are going to raise the flat rate price again. Sigh.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
But that is more than the current price for online flat rate? I guess this means they are going to raise the flat rate price again. Sigh.
This is what I got from it. I guess the advantage is its prestamped. Maybe if you buy them now, and use them in 5 years.... who knows.

I bought books of foreverstamps when they came out, and sat on them till stamps went up, but it was for convienece, not to save money.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

It's not really a savings for me... The boxes are free today and postage costs $5.00 for a small FR box.

In both cases you need a box and you have to print a label, so this new prepaid packaging boils down to 20cent charge for the (small flat rate) box...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

If the USPS is promoting it it has to be a scam. From the people who brought you
entrenched counter beauracracy and attitude you can't do anything about. Unless you
want your package kicked across the room. I know, I know, tell us how you really feel.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

My wife uses the current flat rates, and ships them regular. Depends on the weight.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Its $5.20 currently to ship in person (which I usually do), so it seems to be a deal if there is an impending rate hike.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0eybb View Post
My wife uses the current flat rates, and ships them regular. Depends on the weight.
Not true. Flat Rate boxes are fixed price -- $5 (online) for small, $10.95 (online) for medium, and $14.95 (online) for large -- independent of weight -- although I think there is a max of 70lbs which would only impact those shippling lead or gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Its $5.20 currently to ship in person (which I usually do), so it seems to be a deal if there is an impending rate hike.
They just did a rate increase a couple of months ago, increasing the online price from $4.85 to $5.00. I am hoping that the price will remain unchanged for a little while longer...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Not true. Flat Rate boxes are fixed price (online vs. counter) -- $5 for small, $10.95 for medium, and $14.95 for large -- independent of weight -- although I think there is a max of 70lbs which would only impact those shippling lead or gold

They just did a rate increase i couple of months ago, increasing the online price from $4.85 to $5.00. I am hoping that the price will remain unchanged for a little while longer...
My wife wraps the box in brown shipping paper. instantly cheaper... lol

I didn't even know it was $5.00 I thought it was still $4.85.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Not true. Flat Rate boxes are fixed price -- $5 (online) for small, $10.95 (online) for medium, and $14.95 (online) for large -- independent of weight -- although I think there is a max of 70lbs which would only impact those shippling lead or gold
Or a large FRB full of concrete, like one of my friends from another forum did to someone as part of a secret trick or treat trades. One of the best gags I've seen. Doubly funny as heck to see the photo series from the recipient as he got the box and busted it open only to find a few dog cigars that had been placed right into the concrete without a bag (that was the trick - a very nice treat was sent separately).

Last edited by T.G; 05-10-2011 at 10:46 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
If you print your label online it is a lot easier to do it online and deliver the package to either your letter carrier, collection box, or post office than it is to wait in line...

Old 05-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If you print your label online it is a lot easier to do it online and deliver the package to either your letter carrier, collection box, or post office than it is to wait in line...
Living in a condo, with an out-box for only letters, I cannot arrange pickup. For me, the post office was my only option and I have no problem stopping by.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #14
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Living in a condo, with an out-box for only letters, I cannot arrange pickup. For me, the post office was my only option and I have no problem stopping by.
I don't use the carrier pick up either... If I see my letter carrier I will give any packages to them. Otherwise I drive them over to the post office. If you pay online they allow you to leave the packages on the loading dock -- which get picked up more frequently than the collection bins out front. I just hate waiting in line at the post office so I do everything I can to avoid it...

Old 05-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
You don't have to have an out box. You can simply arrange for a pick-up and on the online form check the box that the package is inside the house. The biggest problem with this, is that you must be home at whatever time of day the person comes by and gets it.

Also, shipping a flat rate box covered with paper is in conflict with the agreement you checked when getting the boxes for free.

Online also has free DC. The flat rate envelope is the best option.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #16
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
If you request a pickup, you can leave it on your front porch. They will pick it up.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #17
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Quote:
...I've always found it interesting that you can't print an on line "Click and Ship" label for a flat rate box....until you enter the weight....
BlindedByScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromHere View Post
...I've always found it interesting that you can't print an on line "Click and Ship" label for a flat rate box....until you enter the weight....
I'm sure it has to do with the loading of the trucks
Old 05-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #19
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

In 10 years when shipping will probably be $10+, this would be a good investment.

I can see a postage black market starting. Hmmmm
Old 05-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #20
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

If you got a quantaty discount it might be worth it, but the price doesn't change (at least for the LFR).

It is still cheaper to print your own postage. ($14.20)

My mail carrier will take boxes for me, or I just print my lables and hand them to the postal worker at the counter.