Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

First Name: Lumpy
Trading: (3)
Cuaba
Lumpold has disabled reputation
Default Oliva V Lancero

Before this review starts... one warning... no puking when you see my ugly mug, but it's pretty hard to smoke a cigar, take and pose for photos on a smartphone and hold 2 dog leads

OK, so today the dogs have been in all day - they decide they'd quite like to go out as all the kids from the local school are trekking home. I don't know if this is a 'local' thing, but apparently, when you are a school kid, and you see someone with a dog, you bark at the dog. You tend to scream when my dog then gets told to 'go on', because you think I'm inciting the dog to attack you, rather than to stop sniffing a pile of dog sh*t on the pavement.

So, any way, before leaving the house, I clip and check the pre-light draw. It's an easy draw, with hints of spicy chocolate and leather. Construction is virtually flawless... this is my first Oliva stogie, but this seems to be the norm, which can't be a bad thing.

The initial hits upon lighting are spice, with a nice amount of smoke covering my tongue. After negotiating a couple more feral 'yoof', I come to the lake, and get some peace. The smoke develops a more leathery quality to it - not exactly like licking a pair of rugby boots, but hell, I always seemed to enjoy chewing on leather. The spicy flavour is still dominant, but not over-powering. As I come round the corner, a young mother is about with her family, and her parents. She berates me for smoking a cigar near her child, and I have to remonstrate, and point out her own father is smoking a roll-up cigarette while carrying her son. I give her a sh*tty look and walk on.

The ash on this smoke starts out pretty much white, but slowly morphs in to a salt'n'pepper kind of grey. As I work through the smoke, the flavours develop nicely, with the leather beginning to work through the spice, and a kind of 'chocolate off the ice cream stick (COTICS)' hint in the background. I'm really enjoying the profile, and the draw is still spot on. The cigar is suffering from what I like to call '(Cuban) Self Correction Syndrome', in such as while there are minor (and I mean minor) burn problems, in two or three puffs, they sort themselves out.

Trudging through the woods, the stick opens up a little more, and the COTICS hint from earlier is now having a bit of a punch up with the leather and spice, but in a good way, with the spice and leather on the tongue, and the COTICS giving them a swift kick up arse on the exhale. I've gotta say, while the profile of this cigar is more 'sat on the porch with a rocking chair' than 'bugatti veyron on the autobahn', I always enjoyed watching the world go by, rather than fly by.

Coming back round the end of the lake, I get to perch on a bench and take a small break, and with the cigar coming in to the final 3rd, it's a good chance to get a feel for any changes in the flavour. The spice isn't so much going away, as mellowing out. The leather is a little more pronounced, and it's great. COTICS keeps twanging at the back of my tongue, and the top of my throat... yummy! Anyway, the dogs are getting bored, so I head back home, and move to my back garden for the last couple of inches. The ash starts lightening again, and the spice hits up again, a bit of a sucker-punch at the end of the smoke.

Overall, I really enjoyed this smoke, and would certainly consider purchasing these again. I must admit, the lancero is one of my favourite vitolas, and this one didn't disappoint. While it isn't the most mind-blowing smoke I've had, it's is by no means a bad, or even mediocre, smoke, it's damn good, with good flavours, construction that was near enough perfect, and I had a good time smoking it. Winner.

TAMF,PPAB,ETWWWUTL,LITMPTYCL
Lumpold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
htown
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (29)
RyJ
htown will become famous soon enoughhtown will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Oliva V Lancero

Thanks for the review!
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

thanks for the review....and snapshot into the "dementia" of the neighborhood!
Old 10-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
TheDudeAbides
I got an awesome sound...

First Name: Curtis
Trading: (27)
HUpmann
TheDudeAbides will become famous soon enough

Great review on one of my "go-to" smokes. I'm into my third box of these, and they've never let me down.
-Dude
{certifiable lancero nut}
Old 10-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Great review. I just picked up a 2009 sampler of V's so I am even more excited to try them out now.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the review of a dang fine smoke!!
Old 10-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Mr.Erskine
Looking up

First Name: Benjamin
Trading: (1)
Mr.Erskine is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review.. I love the entire V line
Old 10-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

Nice review. Always cracks me up (in an irritating way) when someone complains about a cigar smoker and is either smoking a cigarette or tolerating cigarettes without complaint. People are so ignorant. There in no additive poisons in a cigar like there is in a cigarette.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #9
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Im a lancero whore to begin with. Even if I was not I am pretty sure the V lancero would still be my favorite in the line. I just think the flavors are mixed best in this format. Thanks for a great review.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:21 AM   #10
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

I agree James,that is a favorite of mine right now.The strength level is right for me as well.Always enjoyed.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #11
MarioF

Thanks for the review, I just ordered a 5 pack
Old 10-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure why, but these don't do it for me. Beautiful construction and performance always, and I can't fault the flavors in any generally agreed upon way, but something just strikes my palate off-axis and leaves me feeling unsatisfied.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #13
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Glad this stick lived up to it's billing! Great review. The "V" lance is one of my two favorite NC lanceros, and lances are my favorite viola also! The Tat included with the package is the other one. I'll look forward with interest to your thoughts when you get around to the Tat lance!!!
Old 10-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #14
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Thanks for the review brother!
Old 10-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Glad this stick lived up to it's billing! Great review. The "V" lance is one of my two favorite NC lanceros, and lances are my favorite viola also! The Tat included with the package is the other one. I'll look forward with interest to your thoughts when you get around to the Tat lance!!!
Roger, Wilco! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to try them!

Old 10-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #16
Louistogies
Area Fumado

First Name: Louis
Trading: (26)
Louistogies is on a distinguished road

Good review.
Louistogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #17
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Good review, AWESOME beard!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #18
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

Cuaba

Yeah, IMO, my beard was the best bit of this review

Old 10-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #19
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
BTcigars will become famous soon enough

Nice review, thanks!
Old 10-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #20
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review...thanks for sharing.