Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-17-2008, 01:00 AM   #1
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough
Default Camacho Coyolar Titan

Cigar: Camacho Coyolar Titan
Vitola: 6x60
Wrapper: Honduran
Binder: Honduran
Filler: Honduran
Price: Box is about $135 off CI. Got mine for significantly less on Cbid.

Setting: Sitting outside for this one. About 4:30pm 80 degrees out or so and a light cool breeze. Pairing with a Snapple Peach Tea.

Pre-light. The cigar comes in cello and a nice simple black and gold band. The wrapper is medium brown, slighly mottled and fairly veiny. It is firm with a slight soft spot near the head but nothing to be concerned about. The cigar cut easily using the Cranial Screw Top method with the Palio. Typical free draw that already puts a tingle on the tongue. Smelling the foot is really sweet tobacco that belies what's about to come.

First third: The cigar lit up easlily. This one strangely didn't start with the pepper blast I get from the perfectos. Maybe the length and girth of the cigar mellowed the initial blast. This cigar has also been in the humi for about ten months which may have mellowed it a bit. The ash is solid and white with some wave to the burn, but I'm gonna let it go to see if it becomes a problem. Ash dropped at a little over an inch in one big chunk. Body is in the medium range right now. The flavor is heavily of leather with a mild spice and some sweetness. Really different from the perfectos I've been having lately.

Second third: Ok, now the spice is starting to pick up as is the body. The leather continues to dominate and the pepper is definitely there, but not the pepper bomb the smaller one is. As I neared the end of the first third the body really started picking up as well as the amount of smoke. The finish is really smooth with the lingering spice, but not thick or heavy feeling. The burn line has evened out and not required any touchups. The ash just seems to want to chunk off an inch at a time. About halfway through the stick a woody/earthy flavor starts coming into the background. There is also a faint bitterness but the good kind, definitely not unpleasant, just feel it at the side of the tongue. The funny thing is that though the leather dominates the flavor is constantly changing in the background making it an interesting and enjoyable cigar to smoke so far. The burn rate actually seems to be fast for such a large cigar. Usually a cigar this size it would take me over an hour to reach the halfway point and I'm here in about fortyfive minutes or so. The cigar seems to be pretty firmly packed so I'm a bit puzzled, but maybe the free draw has something to do with it?

Final third: Ah, here's the pepper bomb I was expecting. Odd, cause the prefecto starts out as a pepper bomb and smooths out where this seems to be doing the opposite. Body is in on the medium side of full, definitely not the super full that Camacho claims it is, though I am starting to feel the nic a tad. But this is my second cigar of the afternoon after a small lunch. The smoke in the second half has become really rich and creamy, though the finish is still not very thick or lingering.

Final Thoughs: Well, this is my first one since I bought the box ten months ago, I usually smoke the small perfectos, and this definitely wasn't what I was expecting. Overall I really enjoyed the cigar. The flavors were great and always interesting. The pepper/spice wasn't overpowering and I got a nice nic buzz. I think I'm gonna have to move the box from the back of the humidor. I was surprised at how quickly this smoked. An hour and a half total smoke time. I usually get another hour out of the Triple Maduro of the same size. But really a great smoke.

Smoke again: Yep
Buy again: Yep, when these run out, but not for msrp. But for a box under a hundred off cbid I sure will. Maybe a smaller size though.
Reccommend: Yep

My dog stopped by to say Hi

Oh, and here's a pic of two flies doing it on the cello.

Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:01 AM   #2
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Camacho Coyolar Titan

Yes, I only do Camacho reviews.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote