jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough
Default Re: NHL '10 - '11 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I'm sorry, I know you Boston fans love him, but every time I hear Rene Rancourt sing the Anthem, I can't help but think of the Cowardly Lion.

His voice isnt why I love him...it's the fist pump at the end. Nothing is more satisfying than to see him do that. I think he's much better at singing the Canadian anthem.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #2042
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

Rene borrowed the pump from Randy "Stump Pump" Burridge who played for the B's in the mid 80's.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #2043
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
His voice isnt why I love him...it's the fist pump at the end. Nothing is more satisfying than to see him do that. I think he's much better at singing the Canadian anthem.
Understand the love for him, just amusing from a non-Bostonian perspective. I love the traditions. Hell, I even love watching the Canucks fans sing "O Canada"....I just hate the team.

Can't wait for the West Finals tonight...Let's Go Sharks!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #2044
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Last check of this thread until late night, TiVoing the game on a 3 hour delay and can't risk any spoliers.

GO SHARKS!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #2045
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Thought the game score wise was much closer then it should have been. Canucks out played the Sharka for almost the whole game. Nemo kept it close. I was thinking they might steal the game, but that ended rather quickly. Not sure how many the Sharks can take, but if they dont get it together they dont have a chance.

Heatley has taken more then one stupid penalty this playoffs. That needs to stop. That off sides call was crap though it went off a Canuck. Really wonder about that one as it would have changed the game. Ooo well theh still didnt get it done.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:30 PM   #2046
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Biggest problem I saw, especially in the 3rd period, was timid play in the offensive zone by the Sharks D. As soon as the Canucks would touch the puck, the Sharks D had vacated the zone, and they missed numerous chances to easily keep the puck in with a little pinch. I know the Sharks forwards have good speed that can compete with the Canucks, but I am not sure the Sharks D can match them...so they play it safe. Too safe, IMHO.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:17 AM   #2047
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/...&position=also
Old 05-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #2048
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
I read that this morning. This would lead me to believe his death was indeed caused in some part due to the concussion. I know the autopsy results could take weeks, but I think this is an indicator.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #2049
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

First Name: Robert
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
Sawyer has disabled reputation

Quote:
Looks like the Thrashers are moving north.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...terest/1/35808
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpugliese View Post
Eklund has about a 3% accuracy rate on his rumors, and that's being generous. Take anything he says with a huge grain of salt.
According to the AJC, Atlanta Spirit has been in talks with True North for an unknown amount of time. If they are actually in talks already, I don't see any way that the deal will fall through. The owners of the Thrashers want out bad. Atlanta will never get another NHL team.

Guess it is as good a time as any to go back to being a Lightning fan. The last time they hoisted the cup I had just moved away from Tampa but was still a fan of the Lightning. Then they had the lockout and I stopped watching hockey altogether for a few years. When I started back, I was living in Atlanta so decided it was easier just to be a fan of the Thrashers. It will be good to go back to being a Lightning fan right before they hoist the cup again.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #2050
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
I read that this morning. This would lead me to believe his death was indeed caused in some part due to the concussion. I know the autopsy results could take weeks, but I think this is an indicator.
All kinds of rumors right now. Possible pain med od accidental or purposely as a result of depression caused by concussion. The reference to Probert was an eye opener. Just bought the boy the messier project helmet. I know Al doesnt think they work but its worth a shot.

I also think this may lend weight to USA Hockeys view of raising the checking age. The vote is next month. I had heard the big Quebec tourney doesnt allow checking at the age US Hockey allows it.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #2051
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
All kinds of rumors right now. Possible pain med od accidental or purposely as a result of depression caused by concussion. The reference to Probert was an eye opener. Just bought the boy the messier project helmet. I know Al doesnt think they work but its worth a shot.

I also think this may lend weight to USA Hockeys view of raising the checking age. The vote is next month. I had heard the big Quebec tourney doesnt allow checking at the age US Hockey allows it.
My kids coach says the new checking rule is a done deal. My boy is going to be a Bantam this year so the rule wouldn't affect him. I am not sure how I feel about it. Even at his age, the officials don't allow much room for questionable hits, they just hand out 2-and-10's like they are candy.

When you're looking at weekly rankings and tournament participation, 2-and-10's are bad news for your team, so most kids are very careful in their checking. Not to mention if you are given a 2-and-10, you're automatically ineligible for the next game.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #2052
ahc4353

Just one mans (and sons) opinion Mike. I honestly think the M-11 is a flimsy POS. That said, I bought into the hype as I was desperate for anything that would protect Mitch. He went to a Bauer 9900 and personally I think it's a hell of a helmet.

Whatever works for your son is what is important. Like my old man always said, "do what you think is best".

A couple of looks at the 9900.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b9-GhnR4b0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rv6y...eature=related

Old 05-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #2053
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

You know brother I was playing with it yesterday and I understand your view on the flimsy. You are talking about the lower area right?

We should probably continue this in the hockey parent section. I have some thoughts I want feedback on.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #2054
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thought the game score wise was much closer then it should have been. Canucks out played the Sharka for almost the whole game. Nemo kept it close. I was thinking they might steal the game, but that ended rather quickly. Not sure how many the Sharks can take, but if they dont get it together they dont have a chance.
That's kind of funny, I thought San Jose outplayed the Canucks up until the last 5 min of the 2nd period when Vancouver came on, obviously the 3rd belonged to the Canucks. I thought the score board was pretty representative overall, it's also what I expect out of every game other than tomorrow night which I predict will be pretty high scoring. Either way, this series is going to be good hockey to watch which will be a nice change from the Predators series. God that was horrible, dull as ditch water and just about as exciting!

Quote:
Heatley has taken more then one stupid penalty this playoffs. That needs to stop. That off sides call was crap though it went off a Canuck. Really wonder about that one as it would have changed the game. Ooo well theh still didnt get it done.
It's pretty funny that San Jose's first instinct was to follow the Predators example trot out the diving claims immediately. I do get it as a strategy, the Canucks have a very dangerous power play so as the opposing team you want to minimize the time they spend on it. If getting into the ref's heads a little bit helps in that regard then it's part of the game, Gillis did it after Game 5 against Chicago. That said, if you're going to claim it you need to have some kind of proof to back it up or you just come across as being whiny.

The Lapierre tackle was borderline, yes his head went back... but he was also pulled down and spun around by the throat. Everything else called in that game was a fair call and there was a pretty equal amount of missed calls for both sides. I thought the ref's did a pretty good job of getting out of the way and letting the teams run. That 18 sec scramble in front of Niemi was a perfect example. That could have been blown dead many times but they let the teams play and it produced one of the most memorable and exciting parts of the 2011 playoffs as a result.

And just to rachet up the friendly rivalry/Canucks hate a little bit... this was spotted floating around our sushi loving city on Monday

Old 05-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #2055
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

Cuaba

Hmm.... seems the image isn't working properly. Let's try again

Old 05-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #2056
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I have a feeling Mike will find a photochopped image of Jaws eating Don Cherry and post it very soon.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #2057
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

Cuaba

Even Jaws would find Don Cherry highly unappetizing...
Old 05-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #2058
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Really hope the Sharks D men get involved tomorrow, or it could be a short series.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #2059
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

Cuaba

Apparently Malhotra skated in a full gear (non-contract) practice with the Cancuks this morning. It's 99.9999% sure that he's out for the season but it's still encouraging to see him back on the ice so soon after a pair of major eye surgeries.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #2060
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Wishing Manny a full recovery, he is a good center and a good guy.

I can't believe I said that about a Canuck.

Closed Thread