Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Arganese Nicaraguan robusto

Another Arganese review, next in the series from the sampler I got. This is the Nicaraguan, and with a name like that you might expect a puro, but it is not. Only the wrapper is Nicaraguan, the binder and filler are from the Dominican republic. The size is a classic 5x50 and the cigar is wrapped in cellophane.

The wrapper is medium dark and oily with lots of veins. I smell a sour barnyard aroma, like a stable that needs to be cleaned. The construction feels good and the predraw is fine. I get a spicy tobacco flavor in my mouth during the predraw.

I get a full coffee and earth flavor with some pepper and a mild hint of chocolate. After half an inch I taste dry wood, herbs, pepper and the earth flavor. The coffee and chocolate have disappeared.

After an inch and a half the chocolate reappears, again faint but still, it is there. Just before I reach the mid of the cigar I taste wood and herbs, all the other flavors have gone again. After ⅝ the cigar get bitter and slightly unpleasant. I purge the cigar and that helps a bit, but the cigar never becomes as nice as before that point.

This cigar lasted me an hour and fifteen minutes. The smoke was medium thick and I got a decent amount of smoke in the beginning but the smoke got thicker and fuller the longer I smoked. The draw and burn are good and the silvergray ash is frayed but firm. This cigar is full flavored and full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? I think I will stick to the Arganese maduro, I like those better.

Appearance: 6 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 6 / 10