Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 03-03-2024, 04:39 PM   #3841
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

I have not seen OF1924 in the wild, but when it is available, it goes really fast. Not a fan of the price (roughly 115-120). I would like to grab a bottle, but I've got too many of other stuff right now. I really need a new shelving unit or two.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:44 PM   #3842
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

I had a shot at the Birthday Forrester a couple months ago but went with Stagg instead because I'd never had it.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:31 PM   #3843
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

I have to say after trying out the OF1924 twice, small amount each time and neat, it’s very good. I would say well worth the MSRP but paying more? Sucks. Probably not. Depends on the buyer. For a comparison, if I had to pay the same for this or Johnny Walker Blue, it’s a push.

Better than Macallen 18 because 18 is a ridiculous price.

The OF1924 is smooth, very prominent caramel flavor with oak on the finish. Add in whatever flavor nuances you feel compelled to add.

Bottom line, I can’t express adequately how impressed I am with Old Forrester as a brand and am looking forward to trying more of their products.

I would definitely buy more of the OF1924 but not at $220+.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:50 PM   #3844
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Hit up a local store. Friend had seen these on their shelves Friday.

Old 03-04-2024, 06:58 PM   #3845
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Hit up a local store. Friend had seen these on their shelves Friday.

Regular Larceny is one of my weekly bottles. That barrel proof is great too. I’ve seen it a couple places around here.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:20 AM   #3846
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtofire14 View Post
Regular Larceny is one of my weekly bottles. That barrel proof is great too. I’ve seen it a couple places around here.
I had a nice pour of this new BP. I’ll say it’s unique. Very different from the other Larceny BP’s I have. Still trying to decide if I like it or not.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:02 AM   #3847
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Brian, nice to hear your thoughts on the OF1924. Hoping to find an open bottle at one of my haunts, or one at MSRP someplace.

Curious to hear your thoughts on A124 once you've tried a bit more, Bob.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 09:44 AM   #3848
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I had a nice pour of this new BP. I’ll say it’s unique. Very different from the other Larceny BP’s I have. Still trying to decide if I like it or not.
I had some Larceny C923 last night. It's quite tasty.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:26 PM   #3849
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I had some Larceny C923 last night. It's quite tasty.
Yes, that was a good batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Brian, nice to hear your thoughts on the OF1924. Hoping to find an open bottle at one of my haunts, or one at MSRP someplace.

Curious to hear your thoughts on A124 once you've tried a bit more, Bob.
I’m going to give this bottle a couple weeks, now that it’s open, and then do a blind against my other Larceny BP’s.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:57 PM   #3850
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Hey Vin! Give the Bottled In Bond a try (white label), 100 proof and at least 4 years old for very cheap. The 80 proof black label is not worth the time, but the BiB can be a decent pour. Although they stopped selling them outside of KY, the Evan Williams single barrel was another solid bottle that drank well above it's price tag. They just recently stopped selling those out of the state so there might be some around
This stuff is pretty good - calling it win!
Old 03-06-2024, 01:10 PM   #3851
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Decided to revisit the Larceny BP A124 as the bottle was still on my counter. Here’s my notes.

Nose - bright, sweet spice, light vanilla, like I read in another review hints of a Snickers bar.

Palate - immediate hit of the spice up front, tingles the tongue, marshmallow, light oak, drying.

Finish - seemed short on the first couple of sips, then builds and lingers as you sip more. Drinks it’s proof, but doesn’t have a big bite.

For the second pour, I really enjoyed it. On a scale of 1-10, I’d give it a solid 6.6. Not great, but worth picking up if you’re a fan of Larceny BP.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:20 AM   #3852
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Too funny, Bob. Went to Binny's before work yesterday and they had one A124 on the counter at retail. Said someone had returned it. I passed, I may have given it a shot if I had read your follow up. So you actually saved me $74, so thank you.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 03-07-2024, 08:27 AM   #3853
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

Picked up another OFSBBP from Cute Rate Liquors. Cut Rate is mostly a secondary store in Dallas where I got a lot of Bookers at MSRP in the past. It is a museum for allocated bourbons (GTS 23 for $1100), but every once in a while they don't know what they actually have, like this OFSBBP, and mark it for MSRP. It is 127.4 proof. I'll open it up tonight, and if I like it, I'll head back for another bottle. They had cases of it sitting around.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:49 AM   #3854
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Been trying to stay away from stores, but my main shop got their JD barrel proof rye in yesterday and those things can be magical so I ran down there, while I was there I grabbed a BT pick and a handle of Weller Special Reserve for my father in law. I think by now I've gotten him at least a dozen handles and another dozen 750's or liters. I've tried giving him Weller Antique and other bottles I prefer but he comes back to just wanting WSR. And JD products, he'll take anything Jack, got him a JD10 for Christmas and he lost his mind. Needless to say the rye will get cracked as soon as they land tonight
Old 03-07-2024, 10:06 AM   #3855
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Been trying to stay away from stores, but my main shop got their JD barrel proof rye in yesterday and those things can be magical so I ran down there, while I was there I grabbed a BT pick and a handle of Weller Special Reserve for my father in law. I think by now I've gotten him at least a dozen handles and another dozen 750's or liters. I've tried giving him Weller Antique and other bottles I prefer but he comes back to just wanting WSR. And JD products, he'll take anything Jack, got him a JD10 for Christmas and he lost his mind. Needless to say the rye will get cracked as soon as they land tonight
I've not tried JD's SB Rye as yet, but am adding it to the list.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:37 AM   #3856
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I've not tried JD's SB Rye as yet, but am adding it to the list.
They did a special release of single barrels back in 2020 and it was at the time the best rye I had ever tasted, a year later I did a tour/tasting at Jack and we tried the regular rye, I asked if it was the same stuff as the LE and he said "Hell no. Well technically yes it's the same mashbill, but that release was something special." After a couple years of people begging for it to come back they finally started releasing a shelfer and doing a small amount of barrel picks for it, I tried the last of my LE bottle against a different store's pick last week and the 2020 still topped but both were damn good, I've heard some new single barrels are on par with the original
Old 03-07-2024, 01:20 PM   #3857
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagleone View Post
Picked up another OFSBBP from Cute Rate Liquors. Cut Rate is mostly a secondary store in Dallas where I got a lot of Bookers at MSRP in the past. It is a museum for allocated bourbons (GTS 23 for $1100), but every once in a while they don't know what they actually have, like this OFSBBP, and mark it for MSRP. It is 127.4 proof. I'll open it up tonight, and if I like it, I'll head back for another bottle. They had cases of it sitting around.
Oh nice. Let us know how it is!
Old 03-07-2024, 02:55 PM   #3858
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Those JD SBBP Rye are amazing. I have two on my shelf, both 130+ proof. I was just at a store today I rarely shop at, that had cases of it. 133 proof for $75, a bit over SRP here in MI.

Same store actually had some nice bottles, but stupid prices. Midwinters Night Dram $200, MM BEP $100. I did find an ECBP A123 which I didn’t have. $75, so it came home with me.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:42 AM   #3859
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Nice pickups Tony, Ben and James!

Cracked the OFKR that Johnny brought me from Texas a couple weeks ago...it was calling to me from the bar.

Old 03-08-2024, 09:40 PM   #3860
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Nice pickups Tony, Ben and James!

Cracked the OFKR that Johnny brought me from Texas a couple weeks ago...it was calling to me from the bar.

Oh yeah. That looks yummy!!!!