Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 01-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rich
Trading: (1)
smokeyandthebandit05 is on a distinguished road
Default Beers of the World

Im headin up to Rochester NY tomorrow and there is a store called beers of the world. The pretty much have everything. What iM askin is for some suggestions. Right now I want to pick up a Magic hat sampler, sam adams sampler, Dog Fish Head sampler, and an Adirondack sampler. Is there any thing else I should check out? The only american beer I really like is Yuengling and over seas I like smithwics, Becks dark, Boddingtons, Killians, Heineken, pretty much all lagers, ales, anything but IPA's.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beers of the World

Seems the people who read Beer Advocate really like it there:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1266/

Ask them if they have any Sam Adams Utopias.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

I actually just joined Beer Advocates last night and was reading reviews. Im so excited to go up there. I'll probably be dropping 100+ and $100 for my cousin. I love beer, not just like the next college student but I look into it like cigars. The body, flavor, finish, everything. God I love this lol
Old 01-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Look for Stone and Rogue also, great breweries on the left coast.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

I base my recommendations on what you seem to like, which are all quite mildly flavored.

I'd stay way from DFH ... if you like Yeunglings and Boddingtons and dislike IPAs ... you aren't likely to enjoy DFH beers, which are usually very strongly flavored (one way or another).

Adirondack ... well .. I have not been impressed with any of the beers I've had from those guys. They don't suck, but they have no great character either.

Magic Hat and SA you can get anywhere.

I'd pick up a mixed 6 pak of some German beers if you can find them:

Ayinger Maibock
Köstritzer Schwartzbier
Schneider Aventinus (great wheat beer)
Schlüssel Alt
Ayinger Celebrator or Schneider Aventinus Weizen Eisbock if you're feeling frisky

I find most American brewers do good jobs of brown ales in the American Brown style rather than Northern Brown (Newcastle). You might pick up brown ales from a range of breweries. I haven't had a first class lager from any American brewery except maybe Victory Prima Pils, but that is likely more bitter and hoppy than you'd enjoy. I have enjoyed Otter Creek Pale Ale for a nice PA that isn't a blockbuster but a nice session ale. Their Alpine Ale isn't bad either.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05 View Post
The only american beer I really like is Yuengling and over seas I like smithwics, Becks dark, Boddingtons, Killians, Heineken, pretty much all lagers, ales, anything but IPA's.
Blasphemy!

Since you're in the general area, check into some Ommegang as well.

And I'd listen to SeanGAR. The man knows his beer. As a matter of fact, he makes his living by it.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I actually just joined Beer Advocates last night and was reading reviews. Im so excited to go up there. I'll probably be dropping 100+ and $100 for my cousin. I love beer, not just like the next college student but I look into it like cigars. The body, flavor, finish, everything. God I love this lol
Wow! I really admire your enthusiasm about beer. It is really an amazing beverage. When you think about all the different kinds of hops, malts, and spices that can make up beer along with all the variations to the brewing process the possibilities are endless.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
I base my recommendations on what you seem to like, which are all quite mildly flavored.

I'd stay way from DFH ... if you like Yeunglings and Boddingtons and dislike IPAs ... you aren't likely to enjoy DFH beers, which are usually very strongly flavored (one way or another).

Adirondack ... well .. I have not been impressed with any of the beers I've had from those guys. They don't suck, but they have no great character either.

Magic Hat and SA you can get anywhere.

I'd pick up a mixed 6 pak of some German beers if you can find them:

Ayinger Maibock
Köstritzer Schwartzbier
Schneider Aventinus (great wheat beer)
Schlüssel Alt
Ayinger Celebrator or Schneider Aventinus Weizen Eisbock if you're feeling frisky

I find most American brewers do good jobs of brown ales in the American Brown style rather than Northern Brown (Newcastle). You might pick up brown ales from a range of breweries. I haven't had a first class lager from any American brewery except maybe Victory Prima Pils, but that is likely more bitter and hoppy than you'd enjoy. I have enjoyed Otter Creek Pale Ale for a nice PA that isn't a blockbuster but a nice session ale. Their Alpine Ale isn't bad either.
I have tried 2 Adirondacks, the adirondack lager (was ok) and saranack lager (dont like too much). I like pretty much everything, the onyl one I hated and couldnt ever finish was Fishermans IPA by DFH I believe. I just want to try everything I can
Old 01-09-2009, 01:46 AM   #9
scoot
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Pat
Trading: (0)
scoot is on a distinguished road

Try and grab some Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel along with the German beers that Sean mentioned. A few others that I really enjoy are the Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout, and the St. Bernardus Abt. 12.

These are all pretty dark and on the heavier side, but they are really top class if you're willing to give them a go.
scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

if you want some Dutch lagers that are much better then the overrated Heineken go for Grolsch or Hertog Jan. If you want some thougher stuff, see if they have the Grolsch kanon and the Hertog Jan Grand Prestige. Murphy's Irish Red is a nice Irish beer.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:00 AM   #11
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Im headin up to Rochester NY tomorrow and there is a store called beers of the world. The pretty much have everything. What iM askin is for some suggestions. Right now I want to pick up a Magic hat sampler, sam adams sampler, Dog Fish Head sampler, and an Adirondack sampler. Is there any thing else I should check out? The only american beer I really like is Yuengling and over seas I like smithwics, Becks dark, Boddingtons, Killians, Heineken, pretty much all lagers, ales, anything but IPA's.
Hit the Shop Rite Liquors in Franklin / Hamburg right by the Wal -Mart. THey have every type of brew you could imagine. From specialty brews to seasonal, dutch, german, belgian, microbrews, etc. It is an amazing spread. PM me when you are going or I'll shoot you my number. I am there often.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #12
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Hit the Shop Rite Liquors in Franklin / Hamburg right by the Wal -Mart. THey have every type of brew you could imagine. From specialty brews to seasonal, dutch, german, belgian, microbrews, etc. It is an amazing spread. PM me when you are going or I'll shoot you my number. I am there often.
Really?!!! I'll have to swing in and check it out
Old 01-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #13
JohnnyKay5
Armed Forces Tumbleweed

Trading: (22)
Partagas Army (Active)
JohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I'm from buffalo, can you give me an address to this world wonder! I'll be up there in about 2 weeks

HIGH FIVE!
JohnnyKay5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The only american beer I really like is Yuengling

If you like Yuengling Lager maybe try some something else from the DGY brewery. I really enjoy the Yuengling Black and Tan and the Lord Chesterfield Ale is pretty good too, the Yunegling Porter is also a favorite porter of mine.

If you have the opurtunity to try anything New Belguim Brewary I would recommend that as well, Fat Tire (of course), 2 Below or anything seasonal is a good bet.

I also find Unibroue to really nice treat. Totally different than any other beers I've ever had.

There are severeal stellar Philadelphia Brews now (philly is undergoing somewhat of a beer renesaaince, I'll see if I can dig up the article.)

- Philadelphia Brewing Company is literally blocks from our house and is some of the best beer I've had bar none. The only brews avaialbe in bottle currently are Kensinger, Walt Wit, Rowhouse Red and the Newblod IPA. I'm really unsure how much distrobution they have right now, it still might be a tri-state (PA,NJ,DE) thing.

http://www.philadelphiabrewing.com/

Yard's is a true Philly microbrew, around since the late 1980's they have moved from Manayunk to Roxborugh and finally settling in Kensington (just a few blocks away from the Phila. Brewing Co - who knew Kensington would become such a beer hotspot?). Absolutly classic offerings, Philadelphia Pale Ale, an India Pale Ale that is stellar, the ESA which is like a richer Yuengling and the Brawler, an English Ale.

http://www.yardsbrewing.com

other notable PA Brews:

Victory, out of Downington (a phila suburb) offers some really interesting beer, Golden Monkey - a spiced ale, Hopdevil IPA and my favorite, the Victory Lager. Pretty wide distrobution.

Slyfox, out of the Philadelphia suburb Pheonixville. I can recommened the Wisse, a wheat beer and the Pikeland Pils. Don't let the cans scare you away, these are real deal craft beers.

http://www.slyfoxbeer.com/index.php/front/beer_packaged

- Troegs, out of Harrisburg has a fair amount of north eastern distrobution and is excellent. Much in vien of Magic Hat they do some really imginiative beers but I feel they do a better job with the more classic stuff than MH.

http://www.troegs.com/contact.htm

Flying Fish, out of Cherry Hill NJ (right over the bridge) might be the most widely distrubted of the "Philly" beers. Lots of selection, all very palatable.

www.flyingfishbrewary.com

Dogfish Head, out of DE is also very widely distrbuted. The 60 and 90 minute IPAs are MUST TRY. The 120 minute separates the men from the boys.

There are definitly other notables, The Applitaion Brewary in Harrisburg, Manayunk Brewpub and Nodding Head on Sansom St. in Phiily are all also excellent but have little to no distrobution.
AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #15
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Oh I forgot -

http://www.lionbrewery.com/history.html

Get a case of Lionshead to see how people who like real beer "slum it" around here. But don't pay more than $13 a case.
AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #16
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

Picked up some rouge and a few samplers. I'll post up pics tomorrow
Old 01-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #17
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Since you're in the general area, check into some Ommegang as well.
Good call. They're about 30 mins from my house.
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #18
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

I wasnt able to pick up much . But I got some Rouge, Sam Adams sampler and Magic Hat holiday sampler. Im addicted to rogue, it was amazing!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #19
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot View Post
Try and grab some Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel .
You could look for a Chimay sampler , you get a glass and one of each of there 3 beers . HB Oktoberfest was really good this year also . Guinness also has a sampler with 6 each of Harp , Guinness and Smithwicks .
Bubba - NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #20
PinkPistol86

I would definitely pick up some Chimay. It's a Belgian beer that is completely amazing.