Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Advice needed - want a pistol

Never have been much of a gun person. I've had a Remington 870 12-gauge since I was a teen and I also have a Remington 22 auto rifle. That's it. I've been seriously thinking about getting a pistol within the next several months. For size and use, I'd probably be getting something in the 9 mm range. Don't think I need the power of a .38 or larger and I'd like something bigger than a .22 pistol. I'm going to use it mainly for target practicing and I'd like to have something to take camping, as well as for personal protection if that event ever happens. Nothing fancy or too high-priced, but quality and longevity. I'd like a step or so above an entry level. I am going to research but I thought you folks could start me in the right direction.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Advice needed - want a pistol

Wheel gun or Auto? For you alone or the family? Car camping or hiking?
Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

Glock 19. Don't listen to Pete.
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

No, but seriously. Get to a range and shoot. Some people love Glocks/XD/Polymer, while some love their 1911's.

I personally love my glock 26, I shoot a glock 17 in competition. One day I'l own a 1911 style pistol.

There is also the beretta 92fs, proven fighting pistol.

I personally like semi-autos over a revolver. Revolvers are simple, but reloading is a pita.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

If you have a local range where you can rent a few different guns, go do it. Holding a gun and shooting it is going to tell you a lot more about what is right for you than the opinion of someone else and what works for them. Once you can narrow yourself down to a few options, then do your homework and find the best prices you can. Just my
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Best advice is shoot whatever you can get your hands on before you buy something. Many gun ranges offer rentals. You can rent a pistol and a lane and try a few out. Might cost you $40, but it'll be better than buying that same pistol for $500-1000 and finding out you don't like it.

If you have friends with pistols get a few of them to bring them to the range at the same time. You can learn a lot about your preferences in just one or two sessions this way.

Revolvers are great, reliable, simple, and can be easy to carry if you pick the right one. Semi-Autos have higher capacity, different caliber options, and offer more manufacturers for different options. I'm a 1911 guy myself, as my Kimber is my only handgun. That said, I'm probably going to buy a .357 revolver next. I'm not a big fan of Glock, but I would never put them down. They are well made and reliable, they just don't feel as good in my hand. Nor do I shoot them as well as I do my Kimber.

Like cigars, there are endless options and opinions on each. In the long run only your opinon counts.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0eybb View Post
No, but seriously. Get to a range and shoot. Some people love Glocks/XD/Polymer, while some love their 1911's.

I personally love my glock 26, I shoot a glock 17 in competition. One day I'l own a 1911 style pistol.

There is also the beretta 92fs, proven fighting pistol.

I personally like semi-autos over a revolver. Revolvers are simple, but reloading is a pita.
I rike my Grock too.
Many thousands of rounds through my 17. Ugly and plastic, but they go bang every time. Not for a "trigger Connoisseur" or someone with taste. Same for the other plastic wondernines.
That being said, a Ruger SR1911 is probably going to end up in my hands soon.
9mm is the most affordable centerfire to shoot, and will do all of the things you said above. Without concealment criteria, remember that the longer the sight radius, the more accurate you will most likely be.
Grip angle, length of pull to the trigger from the back of your hand, the size of your mitt, all will guide you a bit as far as what fits you and what feels right. Try to learn a correct firing stance from someone you trust knows their stuff and bring each candidate up to firing position. Some will more naturally point for you than others. Geometry of the pistols will tell you what might point better/worse for you.
Joe shoots a lot.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
If you have a local range where you can rent a few different guns, go do it. Holding a gun and shooting it is going to tell you a lot more about what is right for you than the opinion of someone else and what works for them. Once you can narrow yourself down to a few options, then do your homework and find the best prices you can. Just my
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Best advice is shoot whatever you can get your hands on before you buy something. Many gun ranges offer rentals. You can rent a pistol and a lane and try a few out. Might cost you $40, but it'll be better than buying that same pistol for $500-1000 and finding out you don't like it.

If you have friends with pistols get a few of them to bring them to the range at the same time. You can learn a lot about your preferences in just one or two sessions this way.

Revolvers are great, reliable, simple, and can be easy to carry if you pick the right one. Semi-Autos have higher capacity, different caliber options, and offer more manufacturers for different options. I'm a 1911 guy myself, as my Kimber is my only handgun. That said, I'm probably going to buy a .357 revolver next. I'm not a big fan of Glock, but I would never put them down. They are well made and reliable, they just don't feel as good in my hand. Nor do I shoot them as well as I do my Kimber.

Like cigars, there are endless options and opinions on each. In the long run only your opinon counts.
Good advice from these gents.....Try some out, that's how I pick handguns as well.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Glock, Glock, Glock, and then a Glock
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Try, try, try and then try a bunch.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Also, the Smith & Wesson M&P models are great. I know you said you were looking at 9mm. I have the fullsize M&P 9mm and it is one of the most accurate guns I know. They make smaller sizes too for concealed carry.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #12
safariguy
There's one. Set for stun

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
safariguy will become famous soon enoughsafariguy will become famous soon enough

I can't believe I am going to say this, but Joey is right. And so are all the other guys that say try out lots of different kinds.
safariguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Smith & Wesson SW9VE, Jamie. I even got you a linky for it.
It's got some weight to it, barks them off real sweet, and doesn't gob up even with cheapo rounds. They make nice little holsters for them that work great.
They're very economical and hold up very nice, and they're easy to shoot. Easy to shoot fast, too.
I'm not a "gun person" either, although I've been a hunter and shooter all my life. I went to Grice Gun shop near home, handled some guns, and this one suited me. It's worked out great and is super easy to shoot. I'd like something fancier and shinier later, but I know with this I can take care of any protection problems if need be. The safety is in the trigger, which is nice if you're nervous.
It's a good "dispatch" weapon for hunting and trapping, as well.
If you try it and don't like it for some odd reason, you can always trade up. You'd lose less than you would going to a range and renting a gun.
It's not a great option if you're gonna go all covert ops and sh1t, and be carrying your gun to the grocery store. I'm not about that. It's crossed my mind that I might like a conceal and carry, but I'd have another gun for that completely. A small gun like that isn't for targets and hunting, so it'd be pretty much useless to me except for getting me in trouble.
For a CCW, I'd probably have a little Ruger LCP .380 or S&W Bodyguard 38. More likely the former, it's way lighter.
Take a look at budsgunshop.com, it'll give you some good, inexpensive ideas.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
kickerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Glock, Glock, Glock, and then a Glock
Old 09-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #15
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Also, the Smith & Wesson M&P models are great. I know you said you were looking at 9mm. I have the fullsize M&P 9mm and it is one of the most accurate guns I know. They make smaller sizes too for concealed carry.
Glad to see someone else recommended this line of firearms. I have the M&P 40 and have never had an issue with the gun with close to 1,000 rounds through it. Super reliable and very reasonably priced. At the time when I bought mine S&W was running a crazy deal on them where you got a $50 Rebate and two Free Mags with it. I bought it from Buds Gun Shop (online retailer) and after was all said and done was into it for around $400. My wife is even dead accurate with this thing so much so that I now leave that gun at home at all times for her and picked up a 1911 for carry. Like Elderboy mentioned they do offer it in a 9mm and it comes with three different sized back straps to try and help tailor it to different sized hands.
Also like others have mentioned get to the range and rent a couple different pistols or go to the range with friends who may have a wide array of guns. Best way to find out what you like is to actually shoot it. I was never a big 1911 guy until I went to the range with a friend who is a 1911 nut, I put a few rounds down range with a couple of his and knew right than and there I needed to add a 1911 to the family.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

I always so quick to say go to the range and rent.... Even better go find some friends and shoot their guns, but remember to bring ammo, or money for ammo. Most will decline, but its not as cheap to shoot as it once was.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #17
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks, guys! It happens there's an older gentleman that works in our company that shoots quite a bit at the range. I've heard him talking about it in passing, but have never thought about asking him anything about it. I will now. I'll also invite myself over and shoot with him to see what feels good. That's an excellent suggestion. Always nice to try something out before a commitment. Anyway, it's the story I used on my wife.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #18
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Double ditto on the S&W M&P. I have the 9mm and I love it. I also have a full size 1911 Colt and love that, but totally, totally different. Like others have said, rent if you can first to try. The S&W is very, very smooth, accurate and reliable. I also carry this occassionally and it's pretty concealable. Steve

Quote:
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #19
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Go to a range and test fire as many pistols as you can. You will get as many opinions here as there are members. Some of the pistols listed above I think are junk, and some are great.. Its like cigars, shot what you like.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #20
lawrand
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Randall
Trading: (0)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
lawrand is on a distinguished road

I'm a firearms instructor and I also teach concealed carry. I've instructed lots of people who have never fired a handgun before. We provide Glock 19's in our classes. I've had lots of people try to buy their Glock after the class. I usually carry the Glock or a S&W M&P. I really like both platforms. Best advice has been to shoot as many as you can and decide for yourself. Just make sure it is reliable. I wish you were near Missouri, I have about 12 different 9mm you could try out. Good luck in your search.

Randall - U.S.M.C. - Vietnam Veteran
lawrand is offline   Reply With Quote