Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 09-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
AriesOpusX
Goodfella

Trading: (0)
AriesOpusX is on a distinguished road
Default Must have pipe accessories?

I've just dusted off my old pipe (of course the famous drug store yello-bole pug, don't laugh!) that I haven't smoked in about 4 years and started down the slope again but I'm lacking "accessories" - tampers/lighters/tobacco brands etc.

Without recommendations from the FOG's of the old jungle I never would have picked up my beloved palio cigar cutter which is now the only cutter I'll ever use. Pipes on the other hand are a sort of new thing as I never really got into them so I need recommendations. What do you consider your "must have" accessories, specifically certain manufacturers and models/types. Pipe recommendations are welcome too, considering Savinelli and Peterson brands mostly in the $100-150 range.

AriesOpusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
SUOrangeGuy
Escaped using raincoats

Trading: (24)
Montecristo
SUOrangeGuy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Must have pipe accessories?

The only "Must haves" that I can think of are good tobacco and quality pipe cleaners.

If I had to pick a favorite accessory it would be my Corona Old Boy.
SUOrangeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

There are several manufacturers who offer nice pipes for under $100. Specifically I would recommend both Stanwell and Kaywoodie as offering excellent quality for your money. Personally I find Peterson to be too hit and miss from one pipe to the next. I've owned many high grade Danish pipes, mostly WO Larsen Straight Grains, and have sold most of them. The majority of my pipes now are Stanwells.

A good pipe lighter is nice to have, but certainly not necessary. I've smoked thousands of bowls lit with a $1 Bic lighter. But if you want a good quality pipe lighter, get an Old Boy. You won't be disappointed.

As to tampers, I've had some Mings, but ended up selling them all. Now I use either a Rogers pipe knife or a plain old pipe nail.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

A czech tool is handy but a simple pipe nail will do. I love my Corona Old Boy but as others have said you can do just fine with a bic. You'll need some pipe cleaners as well.

Good cheap pipe? Smokingpipes.com has a bunch of Comoy's they are selling very reasonable. I have one straight pot Comoy I bought last year and it's a very good pipe!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

I dug up my dad's old Pipe the other week. It's a K&P Peterson. Any opinions on this pipe? I've never smoked a pipe, but I've thought about it. It's the System Pipe #306. Looks like this one but with less curve on the mouthpiece.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
I dug up my dad's old Pipe the other week. It's a K&P Peterson. Any opinions on this pipe? I've never smoked a pipe, but I've thought about it. It's the System Pipe #306. Looks like this one but with less curve on the mouthpiece.

Petersons are good pipes, been around forever lol. Clean it up and give it a go!
Old 09-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOrangeGuy View Post
The only "Must haves" that I can think of are good tobacco and quality pipe cleaners.

If I had to pick a favorite accessory it would be my Corona Old Boy.
good tobacco
something to light good tobacco
tamper
fluffy pipe cleaners
Old 09-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
mugwump
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mike
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
mugwump is on a distinguished road

I can get by perfectly well with a Bic lighter, an actual roofing nail for a tamper/pick, and some pipe cleaners.

As for pipes I really like Savinellis but also own Petersons and Stanwells. I'm a big fan of quality pipes at mid-range prices.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
AriesOpusX
Goodfella

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've added Stanwell to my list for the new pipe hunt. I stopped into a local B&M today but his small pipe collection seemed to be mostly no name pipes that he had no idea about so I left empty handed.

I have a $1.50 dual ended tamper that's larger on one side for bigger bowls I guess that will do the trick, its plastic so I wasn't sure how great of an idea it was putting a plastic rod into a burning hot pipe? Pipe cleaners are easy enough to pickup and my zippo seems to be easier to use than any of my torches so I guess I'll stick with that. Tobacco tins are the next thing to be conquered I'm going to try and find some samplers that offer a nice variety. Any aromatic fans that can offer tobacco suggestions? I'm afraid to admit it but I'm hooked on this cheap Borkum Riff cavendish cherry.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
AriesOpusX
Goodfella

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
A czech tool is handy but a simple pipe nail will do. I love my Corona Old Boy but as others have said you can do just fine with a bic. You'll need some pipe cleaners as well.

Good cheap pipe? Smokingpipes.com has a bunch of Comoy's they are selling very reasonable. I have one straight pot Comoy I bought last year and it's a very good pipe!
Thanks for the Comoy suggestion too, I really like this one especially for the price it'll be hard to beat that.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/ne...oduct_id=54301
Old 09-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Try Some Butternut Burley, a nice light aromatic that I enjoyed when I first started out
Old 09-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriesOpusX View Post
Thanks for the Comoy suggestion too, I really like this one especially for the price it'll be hard to beat that.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/ne...oduct_id=54301
When I got their email yesterday they had twenty six new comoys and they are down to only two today
Old 09-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #13
AriesOpusX
Goodfella

Anyone ever try one of the Davidoff tins? I ordered a tin of Danish blend just out of curiousity it was only $10. If the pipe tobacco is anything near the quality of their cigars I can't be dissapointed for that much money.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #14
SUOrangeGuy
Escaped using raincoats

Trading: (24)
Montecristo
SUOrangeGuy is on a distinguished road

Don't forget to check out the super pipe specials at Iwan Ries.

http://www.iwanries.com/Category_C518.cfm

50% off. I've bought some great pipes at great prices. You can also call them as they have specials too limited to be on the website.
SUOrangeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #15
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Anyone ever try one of the Davidoff tins? I ordered a tin of Danish blend just out of curiousity it was only $10. If the pipe tobacco is anything near the quality of their cigars I can't be dissapointed for that much money.
yes, i've had Davidoff Flake Medallions.
if you like Va/Pers with a hint of unflavored Cavendish center, i suggest you buy the PS LBF in bulk over Davidoff Flake Medallions. they taste/look exactly the same, only one is cheaper (the bulk Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake = PS LBF).

if you find an old/used Stanwell, and it has a "registration number", i'd grab those and then clean it up real good.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #16
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
... Tobacco tins are the next thing to be conquered I'm going to try and find some samplers that offer a nice variety. Any aromatic fans that can offer tobacco suggestions? I'm afraid to admit it but I'm hooked on this cheap Borkum Riff cavendish cherry.
For a very berry flavor/smell try Devil's Holiday. Too sweet for my taste but my wife loved the room note.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #17
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road

I am a really big fan of Radice pipes. I love Radice, I feel that they are the best pipe for the money. Stanwells are also great.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #18
AriesOpusX
Goodfella

Ended up ordering this Savinelli last night for a work pipe.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/ne...oduct_id=47417

Unfortunately for my bank account this is a steeper slope than cigars. The fact that for $100 I can have a pipe for the rest of my life versus a box of decent cigars is causing me to want to buy nearly every pipe I see! There's a few Stanwells I have my sights set on for next month and I predict the wife will be buying me some pipes for christmas this year. You guys are such a bad influence.

Thanks for the PS LBF and Devils Holiday recommendations I'll add those to my hitlist. If your wife liked the aroma of the DH thats a benefit for me, the better the smoke smells the more I get to smoke in the living room with no complaints.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #19
AriesOpusX
Goodfella

New pipe arrived today. Smoke my first "big boy" bowl out of a real pipe. I'm pretty impressed I don't know if it was beginners luck or the pipe/tobacco but the first bowl I packed burned perfectly all the way through with one light.

No bite at all and the pipe was no where near hot at anytime. Beautiful aroma from the Davidoff Danish blend, I love the pipe but next time I might pay more attention to the overall weight, this suckers heavy!
Old 09-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #20
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
New pipe arrived today. Smoke my first "big boy" bowl out of a real pipe. I'm pretty impressed I don't know if it was beginners luck or the pipe/tobacco but the first bowl I packed burned perfectly all the way through with one light.

No bite at all and the pipe was no where near hot at anytime. Beautiful aroma from the Davidoff Danish blend, I love the pipe but next time I might pay more attention to the overall weight, this suckers heavy!
Thats pretty good for your first time. I remember my first bowl, couldn't keep the thing lit, didn't burn right, burned my tongue, took me awhile to get it.