Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #2181
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Serious question, what happens to you if you smoke a cigar covered in mold?
Old 08-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #2182
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Good question and I've seen it discussed before but not by what I would perceive as experts and that would require someone study it and it's hard enough to find anyone studying cigars as it is. My thoughts are it's not a problem unless you have an allergy to the mold. Basically, mold is mold. Your not eating it, your burning it. While it may taste and smell horrible, by the very nature of you burning it your not inhaling the spores but you can guarantee some spore excitation so your going to inhale some hence the allergy component.

People live around and eat mold all the time and it basically comes down to whether or not your allergic to that particular mold. Most cigar mold will be on the level of a food type of mold or your typical black varieties. As CigarJournal noted though, what people typically call mold is often just mineral particulates but if left unattended, i.e. you love white spotty ploom and cheer it along to grow, then mold will grow on the particulates and at that point, you've got a mess. Your best bet is to wipe off all that surface junk, clip the foots if you see it plooming out of the foot etc. I've smoked Grayclifs that were starting to grow stuff out of the foot and I just clipped them back and lit it up. I've got allergies that make grown men tremble and I didn't have any problems.

I'll be damned if I'm surrendering a cigar to whatever crap that wants to take it from me. I'll plug beetle holes, wipe my cigars and purge it with fire and a smile.
Weelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #2183
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk05 View Post
NOOOO Outlaw God, don't listen to these trollers and haters! You are correct! You keep doing you baby.

Cello OFF! YOU GOT PLUME! Gurkha 4 life!

The icehog has never had the opportunity to experience the indelible flavors that is the Gurkha...whatever that is you got there.

And Huy posted the picture of Mandy Patinkin from the show Homeland. I don't think that's the author...unless that's his pseudonym. In which case, I believe him, just look how full that beard is!

PS - did you guys know that Mandy Patinkin was Inigo Montoya from Princess Bride? Life changing news, I know.
Quote:
Don't listen to him Outlaw God. He is WRONG.

The powder is indeed plume. Plume not from tobacco mind you, but from the solidifying flavorings and additives that were applied on the Gurkha tobacco to deliver its incredible flavors. We need to educate these folks. Do you have more pictures of other cigars?
If you've got something pertinent to say, say it.
If you're just stirring the pot, I advise you to stop.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #2184
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weelok View Post
Good question and I've seen it discussed before but not by what I would perceive as experts and that would require someone study it and it's hard enough to find anyone studying cigars as it is. My thoughts are it's not a problem unless you have an allergy to the mold. Basically, mold is mold. Your not eating it, your burning it. While it may taste and smell horrible, by the very nature of you burning it your not inhaling the spores but you can guarantee some spore excitation so your going to inhale some hence the allergy component.

People live around and eat mold all the time and it basically comes down to whether or not your allergic to that particular mold. Most cigar mold will be on the level of a food type of mold or your typical black varieties. As CigarJournal noted though, what people typically call mold is often just mineral particulates but if left unattended, i.e. you love white spotty ploom and cheer it along to grow, then mold will grow on the particulates and at that point, you've got a mess. Your best bet is to wipe off all that surface junk, clip the foots if you see it plooming out of the foot etc. I've smoked Grayclifs that were starting to grow stuff out of the foot and I just clipped them back and lit it up. I've got allergies that make grown men tremble and I didn't have any problems.

I'll be damned if I'm surrendering a cigar to whatever crap that wants to take it from me. I'll plug beetle holes, wipe my cigars and purge it with fire and a smile.
Could be true. However why willingly inhale extra mold that may or may not cause a problem. Since it is so easy to prevent the act of smoking a cigar with mold why bother asking if it would be a problem in the first place. Brush it off and/or wipe the cigar down with vodka if you are really paranoid.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #2185
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Just playing both sides of the coin, Jason. If a person truly believes that he has plume vs mold and insists on smoking said cigar, I was just wondering if there would be any downsides to it.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #2186
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Well I can understand that. I'd have to it would depend on a lot of variables. We all know black mold causes issues but others do not.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #2187
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
Just playing both sides of the coin, Jason. If a person truly believes that he has plume vs mold and insists on smoking said cigar, I was just wondering if there would be any downsides to it.
Greg, there is also really no upside. I've only smoked a few sticks with actual plume(bloom) and have not noticed anything special that would have me seeking them out. While it does add to the aesthetic I have not seen any review that can point to special flavors added by the plume.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #2188
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

So a question for you guys, I know your going to say get rid of the humidifier. But, have any of you guys had a crystal humidifier drip on cigars. Now here is the catch this humidifier has not been filled in a few weeks (not needed). My humi level is at 68%, my humidor is in a warmer room in my house. The temp of the room is around 80ish. The humidifier is was in the lid, sense this happened it has been moved. Non of my cigars where damp, just one cellophane wrapper was wet. What could this be. I am thinking think that the humidifier produced condensation. Which i did not know this could happen. I will change out to gel but i am just wondering what could have caused this.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #2189
hudd
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
hudd will become famous soon enough

I'm new at these "codes" so what are n/c cigars?
hudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #2190
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Non- cuban
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #2191
hudd
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
hudd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattso3000 View Post
Non- cuban
Otay! Thanks
hudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #2192
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudd View Post
I'm new at these "codes" so what are n/c cigars?
Right in this very section about 11 or so lines below this is

Sticky: What does all that mean? Cigar Terms and Acronyms
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #2193
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks View Post
So a question for you guys, I know your going to say get rid of the humidifier. But, have any of you guys had a crystal humidifier drip on cigars. Now here is the catch this humidifier has not been filled in a few weeks (not needed). My humi level is at 68%, my humidor is in a warmer room in my house. The temp of the room is around 80ish. The humidifier is was in the lid, sense this happened it has been moved. Non of my cigars where damp, just one cellophane wrapper was wet. What could this be. I am thinking think that the humidifier produced condensation. Which i did not know this could happen. I will change out to gel but i am just wondering what could have caused this.
Moisture of any kind dripping on your cigars is not a good thing. And, since cellophane is porous it will not protect your cigars in any way against water damage.

Further, switching over to gel will not solve the problem. If your humidifier is dripping then your humidor is likely too humid.

I would recommend beads (any beads) over a crystal humidifier or gel. Just my ...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #2194
mk05
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
mk05 will become famous soon enough

Personally, I do not have a large cabinet humidor or a walk in. I have a closet and the overflow goes into the guestroom.

The method I use is rather simple. I have a large thermodynamic fridge that can fit about 50 boxes of cigars. This fridge carries boxes I want to acclimate to my desired climate, which is 68/70. Some boxes I keep in there to smoke and to age in that humidor. But for 99% of my boxes, I vacuum pack them or wrap them, and store them at the acclimated temperature and preferred relative humidity.

Using pv=nrt, due to my pressure and temperature being constant, my humidity is held at my preferred setting. I keep a couple hygrometers in some vped bags to see, and have been very successful. Generally, I do 2-3 boxes a bag, so that any significant temperature will be absorbed and spread across the volume.

This allows me to skip the whole institution of freezing (and as unintended consequence minimizes risk of beetles), which creates intracellular ice formations which destroys essential oils (think freezer burns) - because the delta of temperature is too rapid in non commercial freezers.
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #2195
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
CamoFlogged will become famous soon enoughCamoFlogged will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Personally, I do not have a large cabinet humidor or a walk in. I have a closet and the overflow goes into the guestroom.

The method I use is rather simple. I have a large thermodynamic fridge that can fit about 50 boxes of cigars. This fridge carries boxes I want to acclimate to my desired climate, which is 68/70. Some boxes I keep in there to smoke and to age in that humidor. But for 99% of my boxes, I vacuum pack them or wrap them, and store them at the acclimated temperature and preferred relative humidity.

Using pv=nrt, due to my pressure and temperature being constant, my humidity is held at my preferred setting. I keep a couple hygrometers in some vped bags to see, and have been very successful. Generally, I do 2-3 boxes a bag, so that any significant temperature will be absorbed and spread across the volume.

This allows me to skip the whole institution of freezing (and as unintended consequence minimizes risk of beetles), which creates intracellular ice formations which destroys essential oils (think freezer burns) - because the delta of temperature is too rapid in non commercial freezers.
Hey Marc. Couple of questions on your setup. Interesting stuff.

Do vacuum packed cigars age the same since there is basically no air or RH movement? What does putting them in a controlled RH environment even do since they are basically airtight?

Also, you have any links that test this intercellular ice formations and how this affects the cigar flavor? Would like to dig deeper into that. Never heard of a person being able to tell if a cigar was frozen prior.

Thanks.
CamoFlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #2196
montecristo#2
Don't Taze me Bro!

Trading: (49)
Cohiba
montecristo#2 will become famous soon enough

You guys should probably start a new thread. I am pretty sure most beginners are not worried about theories on long term aging and storage.

Just my 2 cents.
montecristo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #2197
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#2 View Post
You guys should probably start a new thread. I am pretty sure most beginners are not worried about theories on long term aging and storage.

Just my 2 cents.

This thread is for Q & A - not for discussion. A new thread is a good idea.
Besides, I'm no sure what question Marc's post (#2194) answers.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #2198
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
And, honestly, if you absolutely insist that the pictures you provided are not mold, then no amount of civil discourse will help you. I would be willing to bet that even your idol, Richard Hacker, would inform you it's mold. Here's an idea, post the picture and question to another half-dozen cigar communities and see what they have to say.
Outlaw God, I don't know if you're still reading this thread or not but this is good advice. There's no good ol' boy network here that's out to get you, there are simply people that are telling you the truth...some, rather bluntly. I think you'll realize this if you take pnoon's advice and post your pictures elsewhere and ask simply "Is this plume or mold?"
Old 08-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #2199
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
CamoFlogged will become famous soon enoughCamoFlogged will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post

This thread is for Q & A - not for discussion. A new thread is a good idea.
Besides, I'm no sure what question Marc's post (#2194) answers.

I agree with you on what question he is answering.

But I did ask questions in reference to his comments.

- Do vacuum packed cigars age the same since there is basically no air or RH movement?

- What does putting them (vacuum packed sticks) in a controlled RH environment even do since they are basically airtight?

- Also, you have any links that test this intercellular ice formations and how this affects the cigar?

I kept them together so people would have a frame of reference based on his thinking. Reading through the many threads, it seems there are times where people are building upon others questions or statements.

In any case, won't happen again.
CamoFlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #2200
Drphilwv
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Phil
Trading: (1)
Punch
Drphilwv is on a distinguished road

Hmm. Bleu cigars huh.

You could scrape some of the residue off onto a slide and have a look under a microscope. If you don't have a microscope.... Well, you should get one - they're awfully fun to have esp a dissection microscope. I haven't noticed any on my cigars but if and when I do I'll make some pics (my 'scope has USB) and post them up.

Dr.Phil
Drphilwv is offline   Reply With Quote