Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #41
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Kids Sent Home For Wearing American Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
My friend is a Mexican American and he says Cinco de Mayo isn't a real holiday anywhere but the U.S., it was cooked up by beer companies to sell more products. It gets hardly any exposure in it's own country outside of Puebla.
And if it's not the beer companies, it's certainly the tequila companies. Cinco De Mayo is the perfect excuse to fire up the blender and take a trip to Margaritaville
Old 05-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #42
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Would you consider wearing a shirt with the American flag on it, inappropriate and detrimental to the learning environment, and that this would fall under the reserved right of the school? By the way, Clayton, just trying to understand your stance
Again, I think the principal did a stupid move and I think the rule was misapplied, all I'm was saying is that the admin does have legal precident to exercise discretion over what the students wear to school, so a lawsuit might be a lose/lose situation for everybody involved
Old 05-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #43
ChicagoWhiteSox

For information purposes, the students are protected by California Education Code 48950.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #44
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Old 05-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #45
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Wow...that is just sad.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #46
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
And if it's not the beer companies, it's certainly the tequila companies. Cinco De Mayo is the perfect excuse to fire up the blender and take a trip to Margaritaville
Haha. So true.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #47
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Again, I think the principal did a stupid move and I think the rule was misapplied, all I'm was saying is that the admin does have legal precident to exercise discretion over what the students wear to school, so a lawsuit might be a lose/lose situation for everybody
I understand, and I think we agree.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #48
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Yep

Old 05-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #49
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC

Quote:
For information purposes, the students are protected by California Education Code 48950.
When was that passed? They certainly did the "turn your t-shirt inside out" thing all the time when I was a student, so either the admin was breaking the law then too, or things have changed. Maybe they have some argument about how clothing is not a protected free speech thing? Thanks for bringing that up, now I'm intrigued about how this plays out.

Last edited by akumushi; 05-06-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #50
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
What is to be gained?
I think the biggest gain is that the other school administrators will take the student's right to free speech more seriously. Maybe they will learn that their opinion or dislike of someone's protected speech is not legal justification for revoking that person's rights.

This stuff happens in colleges as well. Check out townhall.com columnist Mike Adams. He writes 2-3 times a week about how universities only filter (punish) speech they don't like. It's rediculous, immoral, and illegal. It will continue if legal action isn't taken.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #51
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
I think the biggest gain is that the other school administrators will take the student's right to free speech more seriously. Maybe they will learn that their opinion or dislike of someone's protected speech is not legal justification for revoking that person's rights.

This stuff happens in colleges as well. Check out townhall.com columnist Mike Adams. He writes 2-3 times a week about how universities only filter (punish) speech they don't like. It's rediculous, immoral, and illegal. It will continue if legal action isn't taken.
What he said.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #52
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Wait a minute! I haven't seen any comments from the ACLU about protecting the kids rights. Oh. They are Americans displaying an American flag. The American Communist Liberties Union don't care about this.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #53
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
When was that passed? They certainly did the "turn your t-shirt inside out" thing all the time when I was a student, so either the admin was breaking the law then too, or things have changed. Maybe they have some argument about how clothing is not a protected free speach thing? Thanks for bringing that up, now I'm intrigued about how this plays out.
Im not sure when it was passed.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #54
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Again, I think the principal did a stupid move and I think the rule was misapplied, all I'm was saying is that the admin does have legal precident to exercise discretion over what the students wear to school, so a lawsuit might be a lose/lose situation for everybody involved
Quote:
I understand, and I think we agree.
Nate, Clayton expressed very well what I meant by a lawsuit being pointless.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #55
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
Are high school principles elected in CA?
NO. Nobodies principles are elected.

Nor are high school principals.

Sorry brother, I couldn't resist,

Old 05-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #56
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
NO. Nobodies principles are elected.

Nor are high school principals.

Sorry brother, I couldn't resist,
I don't get it.

Edit: I get it now. Well word-played.

Last edited by AD720; 05-06-2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Oh wait.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #57
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
Are high school principles elected in CA?
Not that I am aware of

I was referring to a previous poster (should have quoted) that said something about PC run amok, and that will only be cured at the ballot box IMHO.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #58
Resipsa

Quote:
The administration needs to act in a non-discriminatory manner, no matter what they do.

This is not only a free speech issue, there is also a Section 1983 action here.

The question becomes why were only the students wearing the American flag sent home? Why not the students displaying the Mexican flag? This is surely just as incendiary to those who are offended by those who insist foreign holidays be celebrated in this country.

It doesn't offend me, but it does offend some. And both groups of students should have been treated equally under Section 1983.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #59
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
Not that I am aware of

I was referring to a previous poster (should have quoted) that said something about PC run amok, and that will only be cured at the ballot box IMHO.
Just giving you a hard time Greg.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #60
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

I must have missed the memo where May 5th became a national holiday... I guess I better start paying closer attention.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Closed Thread