Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #21
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I have about 40K miles logged in on the street and tracks. My best advice would be to go 20MPH faster than traffic. If they start to merge into your lane you will be past them before they get far enough over to hit you.
Back in the day when I was riding, that was basically the advice I was given by a Cycle Cop. Even driving my 10,000 lb truck, I usually try to go just a bit faster than those around me. Gives me a head start on getting out of trouble BEFORE trouble happens.

Frustrating thing is, I'm not really sure it's just motorcycles that people don't see these days. I can't tell you how many idiots try to merge into or pull out in front of me while I'm looking directly into their eyes. Put down the %$@))( phone and drive dangit!

Like I said, be careful out there!
Old 04-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #22
Cigary

Sorry that all of this happened to you and as a motorcycle rider for 40 plus years I've pretty much seen it all. The post below here is something that every motorcyclist needs to heed because you cannot trust the drivers around you to be aware of your presence. Fundamentally drivers are not looking for motorcycles...they do not equate the space that a motorcycle takes up because of depth of field so they don't know or can't tell how fast a motorcycle is coming up so they end up turning right in front of you even though they look directly at you...friggin amazing. As you are traveling on the hiway in your lane they still do not look and switch lanes while they are talking on their f'n cell phones or texting.

I ride with the expectation that somebody is going to do something stupid...I drive defensively all the time and always have a secondary area to go to "just in case" something happens. I drive in the far right lane and let them pass me...easier to deal with watching only one lane rather than 2 lanes where they weave back and forth. I have a Cobra Exhaust so they can hear me...a full light bar so that they can see me.

Have some motorists tried to throw things at me...open their doors to try and be an a$$hole...veered their cars towards me so as to feign hitting me? Yes they have and they paid dearly for that. I do not drive offensively but there are motorists out there who for one reason or another do not like motorcyclists. I carry a mini crow bar in my saddlebag that is easily accessible just in case and I have used it a few times in total defense for those who tried to do me bodily harm...they are now missing headlights, side windows and mirrors and windshields. I'm not proud of it by any means but it took some extraordinary means to stop them from trying to run me off the road or hitting me.

QUOTE=markem;845533]As a former motorcycle safety instructor with Team Oregon (rated top program in the country by NHTSA almost every year), I will point out that car drivers are trained by experience to look for large objects the size of cars. Since motorcycles and scooters and even bicycles are so infrequently used in our car culture, that's just operant conditioning. Not making excuses, just saying it like it is. While you have the right to your space, be proactive and make sure that you aren't "dead right".

QUOTE]

Well said!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #23
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

have been riding for over 20 yrs in 4 states and here in FL seems to be the worst .... have had a few close calls over the years but loud pipes seem to get attention where as the car driver might not see you

so load pipes and a few lug nuts should do the trick (heard, seen, & felt if needed)
Old 04-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #24
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

BTW Alex, I love your sig!
Old 04-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #25
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapHumidors View Post
On my to-do list. This week I've been just riding up and down the road in my neighborhood and turning around. Still haven't gotten around to finding a place and registering for the MSF course. Any recommendations on where?

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=FL

Looks like there are several choices in Tampa

Last edited by newcigarz; 04-30-2010 at 01:19 PM.
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #26
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

On man, that is quite a story. That is why I enjoyed wearing gloves with the same C.E. rated armor as my jacket and if someone got too close I would punch their vehicle to let them know I was there.....aftermarket exhaust is clearly not enough these days.

Glad you are ok.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #27
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

I have absolutly no regrets or qualms about whatever I do when someone in a cage is trying to kill me or is putting me in harms way. It's way to dangerous in the norm without someone within a car's length of my fender. The bad part about this week is I just had no outs. Normally I leave myself an emergency out, but when I am looking left down the road to check oncoming traffic, not much I can do.

This $hit doesn't scare me off my scoot, I would not want to imagine living life and not riding, it's my sanity check. If ya don't ride - well I can't explain it. I normally ride between 18k and 24k a year so I'm aware of the hazards and do my best to avoid them.

On the MSF course, remember passing it just means your qualified to ride a 250cc motorcycle on a closed course. Riding IMO is a skill and uses skills. The more you ride, the sharper you stay and the more experience you have when $hit goes south. I like your crow bar, I have an asp I have been trying to find a spot to mount it to. And before anyone wants to "judge" wether it's a good idea or not:

I'ld rather be judged by 12 than carried by six.

Tonight I'll be in the shed with a cigar and a bourbon cooling down, life as a target this week has sucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
Sorry that all of this happened to you and as a motorcycle rider for 40 plus years I've pretty much seen it all. The post below here is something that every motorcyclist needs to heed because you cannot trust the drivers around you to be aware of your presence. Fundamentally drivers are not looking for motorcycles...they do not equate the space that a motorcycle takes up because of depth of field so they don't know or can't tell how fast a motorcycle is coming up so they end up turning right in front of you even though they look directly at you...friggin amazing. As you are traveling on the hiway in your lane they still do not look and switch lanes while they are talking on their f'n cell phones or texting.

I ride with the expectation that somebody is going to do something stupid...I drive defensively all the time and always have a secondary area to go to "just in case" something happens. I drive in the far right lane and let them pass me...easier to deal with watching only one lane rather than 2 lanes where they weave back and forth. I have a Cobra Exhaust so they can hear me...a full light bar so that they can see me.

Have some motorists tried to throw things at me...open their doors to try and be an a$$hole...veered their cars towards me so as to feign hitting me? Yes they have and they paid dearly for that. I do not drive offensively but there are motorists out there who for one reason or another do not like motorcyclists. I carry a mini crow bar in my saddlebag that is easily accessible just in case and I have used it a few times in total defense for those who tried to do me bodily harm...they are now missing headlights, side windows and mirrors and windshields. I'm not proud of it by any means but it took some extraordinary means to stop them from trying to run me off the road or hitting me.

QUOTE=markem;845533]As a former motorcycle safety instructor with Team Oregon (rated top program in the country by NHTSA almost every year), I will point out that car drivers are trained by experience to look for large objects the size of cars. Since motorcycles and scooters and even bicycles are so infrequently used in our car culture, that's just operant conditioning. Not making excuses, just saying it like it is. While you have the right to your space, be proactive and make sure that you aren't "dead right".

QUOTE]

Well said!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #28
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Tonight I'll be in the shed with a cigar and a bourbon cooling down, life as a target this week has sucked.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #29
MikeyRocks
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
Partagas
MikeyRocks is on a distinguished road

Keep a pocket full of pennies.....
MikeyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #30
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

Quote:

On the MSF course, remember passing it just means your qualified to ride a 250cc motorcycle on a closed course.
passing also means you can get your license in Florida, kinda need to take it.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #31
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post
passing also means you can get your license in Florida, kinda need to take it.
I ride with 3 MSF instructors, even they tell the students although thay passed the course and it will qualify as the riding portion for the State exam, don't let passing the course give you the false sense that you can ride safely on the streets. Huge difference between a 250cc motorcycle on a closed course with 2 instructors and a 6 lane interstate, 96 ci bike, and cars trying to get you. Too many leave thinking the are set for the real world with that card in hand. It's not a bad place to start, but is all it is, a start.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #32
leasingthisspace

Quote:
I ride with 3 MSF instructors, even they tell the students although thay passed the course and it will qualify as the riding portion for the State exam, don't let passing the course give you the false sense that you can ride safely on the streets. Huge difference between a 250cc motorcycle on a closed course with 2 instructors and a 6 lane interstate, 96 ci bike, and cars trying to get you. Too many leave thinking the are set for the real world with that card in hand. It's not a bad place to start, but is all it is, a start.
I really want a "big boy bike" but I wasn't ready to put down the money to just see if I would like it. My 50cc scooter isn't cool but I know I want to ride so right now it gets me to and from work and I save the gas money for a real motorcycle. With the scooter since it is a 50cc I don't need the course or anything to ride. I know before I go take the course I will be ready.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #33
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

Quote:
No doubt that riding in the real world is different. But I think the MSF does a great job.
I never rode before moving to Florida from CT. I knew that once I got here though that a motorcycle was in my future. I took the course, got my endorsement and bought a Ducati 696 the next week.
I have 9,700 miles on the clock now.

Also passing the MSF is all you need in Florida. Just take the card down to DMF pay the fee and you have your endorsement. No Exam. Plus you get a discount on insurance.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #34
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

Glad you are safe. Another 20 year rider here and I'm convinced there is a big douchebaggery magnet strapped to the chassis of my bike that attracts cars and forces them to do dumb things. Keep your head on a swivel and no *****footing around out there!
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #35
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

time & experience is the best teacher
but also keeping your head on a swivel doesn't hurt either
Old 04-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #36
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkbyt View Post
time & experience is the best teacher
but also keeping your head on a swivel doesn't hurt either
speaking of which, I need to spend some time riding up your way.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #37
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post
speaking of which, I need to spend some time riding up your way.
yes you do ..... its been to long buddy ..... I've got rum & cigars, come on up anytime during the week.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #38
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

So who's coming out to California to ride this summer? Moto-herf anyone?
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #39
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
I really want a "big boy bike" but I wasn't ready to put down the money to just see if I would like it. My 50cc scooter isn't cool but I know I want to ride so right now it gets me to and from work and I save the gas money for a real motorcycle. With the scooter since it is a 50cc I don't need the course or anything to ride. I know before I go take the course I will be ready.
Tabb, if you don't mind my . Make your first bike from 750 - to 1400 cc. Get it used. The average rider is 2,500 - 5000 miles a year, garage kept and never seen the rain. A great place to get some deals and you don't pay the depreciation. It's a good way to see if you will like the "hobby" or if it becomes a lifestyle.and Never buy anything I sell, they are rode hard and I put them up wet, tired but happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
Glad you are safe. Another 20 year rider here and I'm convinced there is a big douchebaggery magnet strapped to the chassis of my bike that attracts cars and forces them to do dumb things. Keep your head on a swivel and no *****footing around out there!
Yea, my gremlin bell has been in overdrive this week. I may have to chrome it as a way of saying thanks.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #40
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
So who's coming out to California to ride this summer? Moto-herf anyone?
Man, if I was still living in San Diego full time I'd be all over this like a cheap mohair suit.