Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #21
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation
Default Re: PooPail Question

I'm not real trusting when it comes to my bank info Peter. I've had a CC linked to my PP account forever and never had a problem, and I do get rewards points.

I know of a number of instances where people got into disputes and PP took money out of bank accounts without any notice as a function of their resolution process. I figure if they don't have my bank info, they can't very well tap into my accounts without my approval.

I'm primarily a buyer though so there's really no reason for me to have anything other than a CC linked to PP. If you sell on the Bay, it might make more sense to link to an account if you want funds deposited directly.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #22
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
I'm not real trusting when it comes to my bank info Peter. I've had a CC linked to my PP account forever and never had a problem, and I do get rewards points.

I know of a number of instances where people got into disputes and PP took money out of bank accounts without any notice as a function of their resolution process. I figure if they don't have my bank info, they can't very well tap into my accounts without my approval.

I'm primarily a buyer though so there's really no reason for me to have anything other than a CC linked to PP. If you sell on the Bay, it might make more sense to link to an account if you want funds deposited directly.
If someone sends you money thru PP, is your credit card account credited? Or is a bank account required to receive funds?
Old 05-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #23
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I have a question then. I have a Visa card that is a credit card and a debit card that is tied to my bank account. Would it be safe to link that and delete my bank account info or since it's a debit card too would that make it the same as a bank account for crooks to empty the account anyway?
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:59 PM   #24
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
I have a question then. I have a Visa card that is a credit card and a debit card that is tied to my bank account. Would it be safe to link that and delete my bank account info or since it's a debit card too would that make it the same as a bank account for crooks to empty the account anyway?
A debit card is no different than direct access to the bank account. I believe when you link that card to your PP account, it will prompt you for debit or credit.

Edit: My mistake. I just added a card I have that is both debit and credit. Immediately removed it.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #25
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
A debit card is no different than direct access to the bank account. I believe when you link that card to your PP account, it will prompt you for debit or credit.
I was in the middle of doing it and it says Credit/Debit. I didn't add the number to it and click finish but it didn't differentiate up to that point.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:09 PM   #26
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:

Edit: My mistake. I just added a card I have that is both debit and credit. Immediately removed it.
So it seems that it would have to be a straight up credit card to afford the protections. Dang it, I don't have a real credit card.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:21 PM   #27
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
If someone sends you money thru PP, is your credit card account credited? Or is a bank account required to receive funds?
Your PP account is credited & you have a balance you can use with any person/entity that accepts PP

I don't think you can move money directly to your credit card

In order to get the cash out of PP, you would need to link a bank account or request PP send you a check ($1.50 fee applies)
Old 05-03-2017, 06:31 PM   #28
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

The biggest plus in linking a bank account as your funding source instead of a credit card is to avoid fees.

From their help article on fees (my notes in blue):

We charge fees for the following circumstances:
  • When you receive money from a purchase. (vs. via Friends & Family)
  • When you receive payments from outside your country or region.
  • When you send personal payments using a credit card, the sender always pays the fee.
This is the big one for me because every 5er you buy, every donation you make, etc. YOU'RE paying a fee unless there are funds in your PP acct to cover the transaction.

Transaction fees can range from 2.2% to 2.9% + $0.30 USD, and are assessed when the payment is made. If you receive a payment from outside the U.S., the fee is 3.9% + $0.30.

There is no fee when you make a purchase, or when you use your PP balance or bank account to send a personal payment.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:43 PM   #29
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
The biggest plus in linking a bank account as your funding source instead of a credit card is to avoid fees.

From their help article on fees (my notes in blue):

We charge fees for the following circumstances:
  • When you receive money from a purchase. (vs. via Friends & Family)
  • When you receive payments from outside your country or region.
  • When you send personal payments using a credit card, the sender always pays the fee.
This is the big one for me because every 5er you buy, every donation you make, etc. YOU'RE paying a fee unless there are funds in your PP acct to cover the transaction.

Transaction fees can range from 2.2% to 2.9% + $0.30 USD, and are assessed when the payment is made. If you receive a payment from outside the U.S., the fee is 3.9% + $0.30.

There is no fee when you make a purchase, or when you use your PP balance or bank account to send a personal payment.
I think I'm totally confused now.
<it's not you, Vin. It's me.>
Old 05-03-2017, 09:12 PM   #30
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Short answer funds can be sent in a check to you, you can have them deposited in your checking account (usually takes a day or less) or you can keep them in PP account as a positive balance you can spend. They do not put it on your credit card.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #31
pnoon
YNWA

RA

So I can link a credit card and/or a bank account as a "reserve"?

If I receive funds, it goes into a "****** account". Once I have a ****** account balance, I can use those funds to send and/or make payments without fees.

Is that it?
Old 05-03-2017, 10:10 PM   #32
T.G
Grrrrrr

Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:

If I receive funds, it goes into a "****** account". Once I have a ****** account balance, I can use those funds to send and/or make payments without fees.

Is that it?
yes.

yes.

& yes.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #33
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:

Is that it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
yes.

yes.

& yes.
Thanks, Adam.

I received some funds this morning and now it makes sense.
Just as I thought from my previous post and you confirmed.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:29 PM   #34
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Thanks, Adam.

I received some funds this morning and now it makes sense.
Just as I thought from my previous post and you confirmed.

Not a happy camper. Getting ready to close my FvckFail account.

So after receiving <$75, I have been informed that my account has had suspicious activity and in order to unfreeze the funds and allow me to do any transaction, I have to provide a photo ID and a bank statement. I've already provided my name, address, SSN, phone number, bank account (which they confirmed as mine), and a credit card.

Are they serious?

I want to close my account but I can't unlink my credit card, unlink my bank account, or even return the money that was sent to me.

I'm fvcking pissed !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by pnoon; 05-09-2017 at 11:58 PM.
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:10 AM   #35
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Wow, you are having an overly complicated time with poofail. They have never done that with me but I rarely receive funds and mostly pay. Perhaps that is the difference???

I would be annoyed as well.

I just got a letter from the California tax authority asking for photo IDs to validate my refund. I have heard of rampant tax fraud in California and a verification of ID being necessary so I have to assume credit and banking industries are implementing new safe guards to protect people and hopefully that explains your complications or it's just me being optimistic?

Quote:

So after receiving <$75, I have been informed that my account has had suspicious activity and in order to unfreeze the funds and allow me to do any transaction, I have to provide a photo ID and a bank statement. I've already provided my name, address, SSN, phone number, bank account (which they confirmed as mine), and a credit card.

Are they serious?

I want to close my account but I can't unlink my credit card, unlink my bank account, or even return the money that was sent to me.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:07 AM   #36
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:

Are they serious?

Where did the funds come from (a funded PP account or a bank transfer) and are you sure that it was the funds transfer that set off the alarms?

I've had a PP account for 15-20 years now, so I'm sure things have become more strict on the verification side since then, but I can say that once you get through the documentation, it's really pretty painless.

Modern electronic verification is a bid fickle. I buy cigars virtually every month from JR Cigars to send to the troops, I even have the JR Plus membership, I think I've had to send them a scan of my drivers license like 4 times now, maybe 5. It's like, guys, come on already...
Old 05-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #37
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jason
RA Army (Disabled Vet)
av8tor152d will become famous soon enoughav8tor152d will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Are they serious?

Agreed I would be irritated also, I have never seen such a mess with them like this in my 10 year usage, I can say that I have called them with some issues and the customer support has been top notch in my dealings.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:36 AM   #38
pnoon
YNWA

RA

So get this.

Last night, I sent an email indicating I wanted to return/reverse the one receipt, unlink my CC and bank account, and close my newly created PP account. This morning, I get this message back.
We are reviewing your account and unfortunately your account limitation cannot be lifted at this time. We need more information about your account before we can proceed with the appeal process. Please complete the steps below:
· Provide a monthly bank statement for the bank account ending in XXXX.

The statement must show your name, address and account number exactly as they appear in your ****** account.

· Upload or fax a copy of your driver's license/passport. Please be sure that the copy is easily readable and as large as possible. Acceptable forms of a photo ID include a driver's license, passport, or any other government-issued photo identification that includes your date of birth.

Sincerely,

Azeman

****** Account Review

So, I figure enough of this nonsense. I'm going to call. I'm logged into my PP account and click the link to call them. It provides a number and a 6 digit code so that I am identified to them. I place the call. The CSR asks for my first and last name and asks how he can help. I explain the situation. He says, "You're good to go. Log out and log back in". While doing this, I ask him what was the reason for the restriction. He says, "We just needed to verify who you are." Sure enough, my account is fine now.

Can someone explain to me why fvck those knuckleheads didn't just ask me to call instead of asking for a photo ID and bank statement with my name, address, and balance?
Old 05-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #39
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jason
RA Army (Disabled Vet)
av8tor152d will become famous soon enoughav8tor152d will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So get this.

Last night, I sent an email indicating I wanted to return/reverse the one receipt, unlink my CC and bank account, and close my newly created PP account. This morning, I get this message back.
We are reviewing your account and unfortunately your account limitation cannot be lifted at this time. We need more information about your account before we can proceed with the appeal process. Please complete the steps below:
· Provide a monthly bank statement for the bank account ending in XXXX.

The statement must show your name, address and account number exactly as they appear in your ****** account.

· Upload or fax a copy of your driver's license/passport. Please be sure that the copy is easily readable and as large as possible. Acceptable forms of a photo ID include a driver's license, passport, or any other government-issued photo identification that includes your date of birth.

Sincerely,

Azeman

****** Account Review

So, I figure enough of this nonsense. I'm going to call. I'm logged into my PP account and click the link to call them. It provides a number and a 6 digit code so that I am identified to them. I place the call. The CSR asks for my first and last name and asks how he can help. I explain the situation. He says, "You're good to go. Log out and log back in". While doing this, I ask him what was the reason for the restriction. He says, "We just needed to verify who you are." Sure enough, my account is fine now.

Can someone explain to me why fvck those knuckleheads didn't just ask me to call instead of asking for a photo ID and bank statement with my name, address, and balance?
They figure with all the bullcrap they ask you for your going to call and yell at them anyhow so either way they get the confirmation?? haha well at least it is all straight now.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:47 AM   #40
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:

Maybe they googled your photo and saw how rude and unattractive you were.