Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Tombstone

Default Classic Car Garage

Hey guys, I am looking for some advice. I am renovating my garage to look like something you would see on the Home Improvement TV show. I have a lot of tools from my previous job and would like a nice organized garage to keep them.

I am entertaining the idea to begin renovating/building classic cars/hot rods. I need some advice as to what type of reading material I should immerse myself in to prepare myself for this venture. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Classic Car Garage

You can use an online closet organizing designer to help set it up. I like stainless or even diamond plate with bright accent colors on the walls.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Tombstone

Do you know of any goods books to give me a general knowledge of cars and engines?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Ace$nyper

No offense but if you need to ask about general then restoring will be over your head as a start.

Pick up something semi running or in just of need of a new XZY and work your way up.

I don't mean to turn you off but in your shoes people tacking something like a restore will leave you giving up 99% of the time no matter how much you enjoy it.

But to help you more, some good things is pick a project. Read about it non stop. Read about things related to it. Get books on that car. Get books on that configuration of motor (a lot of classics have special books just for minor year changes etc) Then get some entry level how too books.

I've done countless motor swaps, now I can bang replacing motors on most cars out in an afternoon kinda drunk. But I started small, and when I only had one car many times I wound up crippling my self. I still can not paint do body work or wire at all.

It's been well worth it.

Any ideas what you'd be thinking of restoring? I love classics and know a lot of them pretty well.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace$nyper View Post
No offense but if you need to ask about general then restoring will be over your head as a start.

Pick up something semi running or in just of need of a new XZY and work your way up.

I don't mean to turn you off but in your shoes people tacking something like a restore will leave you giving up 99% of the time no matter how much you enjoy it.

But to help you more, some good things is pick a project. Read about it non stop. Read about things related to it. Get books on that car. Get books on that configuration of motor (a lot of classics have special books just for minor year changes etc) Then get some entry level how too books.

I've done countless motor swaps, now I can bang replacing motors on most cars out in an afternoon kinda drunk. But I started small, and when I only had one car many times I wound up crippling my self. I still can not paint do body work or wire at all.

It's been well worth it.

Any ideas what you'd be thinking of restoring? I love classics and know a lot of them pretty well.
No offense taken. My main purpose is to gain more knowledge about cars and engines. The restoration and hot rod is just a future aspiration (15 years down the road). I drive a 97 Jeep Wrangler that I am going to drive until the wheels come off. I would like to start doing general repairs/maintenance on it. My grandfather also told me that he wants to leave me his Chevy Silverado 1997 (20K miles on it) and I would like to keep this truck in my family for a very very long time (it would be something to remember him by). Thanks for the suggestions and I will pick up some books like you suggested.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Ace$nyper

Very cool!

Wrangers and Chevy trucks have huge aftermarkets and getting parts easy/cheap helps a ton.

Start small work your way up, build a few plans, read up what you think is a good idea see if it is.

It's kinda hard to sift the BS from the real stuff until you get a good grasp of how cars work. So to a noobie I say keep away from forums, too many people honestly don't understand cars.

Get a wrangler book I know they have them. If it's the 4L I know that motor pretty darn well and would be more then happy to help with any problems.

Start small and working your way up is the best way, and what I should have done lol. Next time it needs an oil change do it yourself and look around see if you can figure out what everything is. It's a start, but baby steps

Best of luck
Old 01-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Tombstone

The Wrangler is a 4 cylinder. Hopefully it will last another 100K miles. It currently has 140K miles on it. It has been great so far.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Ace$nyper

Nothing is wrong with the 4, it's quite stout. I'm not very well versed in it. I used to have a 4L so I'm used to tearing them down.

I'm sure you'll get many good years out of it