Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 10-29-2014, 09:47 PM   #2681
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Whats in your bowl?

You try Barbary Coast yet, Darren? It's good.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:07 AM   #2682
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
WaRevo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
Oh wait, you sent me the my mixture, right?
Your right, you know what. I meant to send you some of the De Luxe as well. Don't know why it is still here in my drawer. Well!!! Shoot. Already on my second Tin. I will have to buy a Tin and see what is different.

James
WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:12 AM   #2683
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
You try Barbary Coast yet, Darren? It's good.
No, I haven't. Who makes it? What'sit like? I haven't tried very much of anything yet, but I want to take a well reasoned approach to find my everyday smoke. I know, in my head, what I want, but it's hard to describe. I have some Comoy's Cask #2 on the way: chocolate and vanilla with a back note of port wine. Sounds good.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #2684
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Talking Re: Whats in your bowl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaRevo View Post
I will have to buy a Tin and see what is different.

James
You should hold off and wait for the mailman before you buy anything
Old 10-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #2685
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
No, I haven't. Who makes it? What'sit like? I haven't tried very much of anything yet, but I want to take a well reasoned approach to find my everyday smoke. I know, in my head, what I want, but it's hard to describe. I have some Comoy's Cask #2 on the way: chocolate and vanilla with a back note of port wine. Sounds good.
It's a very light aromatic by GLP. Burley based and very tasty. It's not overly aromatic, retaining much of the tobacco flavor and has a good room note. I like it a lot and coming from cigars I also like the English blends.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #2686
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
No, I haven't. Who makes it? What'sit like? I haven't tried very much of anything yet, but I want to take a well reasoned approach to find my everyday smoke...
Here's a few reviews to help you out regarding the Barbary Coast Darren:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/...-barbary-coast
Old 10-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #2687
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
It's a very light aromatic by GLP. Burley based and very tasty. It's not overly aromatic, retaining much of the tobacco flavor and has a good room note. I like it a lot and coming from cigars I also like the English blends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Here's a few reviews to help you out regarding the Barbary Coast Darren:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/...-barbary-coast
Yeah guys, that's just the kind of thing I was thinking about. Something NOT like a Swisher Sweet. It's on the list.

The wife wanted me to check out aromatics because they remind her of her dad when she was growing up.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #2688
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Yeah guys, that's just the kind of thing I was thinking about. Something NOT like a Swisher Sweet. It's on the list.

The wife wanted me to check out aromatics because they remind her of her dad when she was growing up.
Ah, I gotcha. I haven't really delved too deep into those, cause it's not really my thing I guess. The ones I've tried were too sweet I guess, which is why I found the BC to be a nice balance. I wish I could help more.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #2689
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Ah, I gotcha. I haven't really delved too deep into those, cause it's not really my thing I guess. The ones I've tried were too sweet I guess, which is why I found the BC to be a nice balance. I wish I could help more.
That's lotsa help! That's just the kinda thing I was looking for; I don't want to smoke a candy bar, either.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:19 AM   #2690
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

On my regular supply run to the Granite State, I had an opportunity to stop at a great pipe and tobacco shop called Gold Leaf on Rt. 1 (Lafayette Rd.) in Hampton. I found them by checking out the GLP website and they were listed as a stockist. What a great shop! The proprietor is gentleman right out of Central Casting; he looks like he was born with a pipe in his mug. He mostly sells pipes, pipe tobacco and accessories, but he has some cigars. I bought his last tin of GPL Barbary Coast and got some good advice about gurgling pipes; counter sink the tenon. Another shop patron called it "G-Forcing".
Old 11-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #2691
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

A bowl full of Father Dempsey Blend from Kramers Pipe and Tobacco Shop in Beverly Hills. Good stuff Smoked this in the unknown billiard estate pipe that I'm refurbishing to tighten the tenon in the mortise. Appears to be doing the job. Maybe a few more bowls and then I'll get rid of it (maybe)...

Quote:
On my regular supply run to the Granite State, I had an opportunity to stop at a great pipe and tobacco shop called Gold Leaf on Rt. 1 (Lafayette Rd.) in Hampton. I bought his last tin of GPL Barbary Coast and got some good advice about gurgling pipes; counter sink the tenon. Another shop patron called it "G-Forcing".
Nice looking shop on line, probably better in-person. Glad you got a tin of BC Darren.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:06 AM   #2692
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
On my regular supply run to the Granite State, I had an opportunity to stop at a great pipe and tobacco shop called Gold Leaf on Rt. 1 (Lafayette Rd.) in Hampton. I found them by checking out the GLP website and they were listed as a stockist. What a great shop! The proprietor is gentleman right out of Central Casting; he looks like he was born with a pipe in his mug. He mostly sells pipes, pipe tobacco and accessories, but he has some cigars. I bought his last tin of GPL Barbary Coast and got some good advice about gurgling pipes; counter sink the tenon. Another shop patron called it "G-Forcing".
Let me know how you like the BC. I just smoked a bowl on the way in to work and continue to really enjoy it.

Also, since you gravitate toward the English blends, be sure to try GLP's Gaslight. I got a few samples of it with some tin orders and enjoyed it very much. I plan to buy a few tins on my next shopping spree

What does "counter sink the tenon" mean?
Old 11-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #2693
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Just had a bowl of McC Oriental blend 14 in my little Kaywoodie acorn I acquired from BamBam. Pipe smoked really well and I thoroughly enjoyed the blend.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #2694
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
WaRevo is on a distinguished road

Smoking some Hearth & Home Caramel Apple Pie, in a cob this Monday AM.

James
WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #2695
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

First Name: Seth
Partagas
CoffeeWaterBeer will become famous soon enough

Just had some Comoy's Cask #4. nice flake.

Darren, if you end up enjoying the BC, give Haddo's Delight by GLP as well.
CoffeeWaterBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #2696
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

Couple bowls of John Bull English over the weekend. Really pleasant stuff. Very classic "pipe" smell according to everyone I Was around.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #2697
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

More Frog Morton On the Town. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of buying and using this brebbia pipe cleaner/sweetner stuff and all I taste is mint. Lesson for the day: NEVER USE BREBBIA MINT SWEETNER!!!!!

This stuff is so strong it masks even the latakia. Dang. Hopefully it will go away after this bowl and a cleaning with everclear. =(
Old 11-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #2698
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Nice looking shop on line, probably better in-person. Glad you got a tin of BC Darren.
Quote:
Let me know how you like the BC. I just smoked a bowl on the way in to work and continue to really enjoy it.

Also, since you gravitate toward the English blends, be sure to try GLP's Gaslight. I got a few samples of it with some tin orders and enjoyed it very much. I plan to buy a few tins on my next shopping spree

What does "counter sink the tenon" mean?
I'm smoking some BC in my new Ropp Silhouette prince. I like it! I have it in a tobacco jar I picked-up on the 'Bay. I'll post pix tomorrow in the purchase thread. Counter-sinking a tenon is actually just like it sounds: use a drill bit, by hand, to open the opening of the tenon such that it's funnel shaped. I imagine that it smooths out the air flow.
Wow, this BC stays lit and cool. The pipe, itself, is silent. I'm learning to time my puffs with my breathing and it helps a lot. Gaslight caught my eye and the description sounds good, so I was looking at that, as well. It caught my eye, because I like the movie so I got the reference. I still have a couple of tobaccos sitting around that I haven't tried yet: the Iwan Ries Three Star Blue that they sent free with the Ropp (another crossover, from the description), and the Comoy's Cask Nš 2 (a bit more aromatic). I'll probably get to them in the next couple of days. I'm only smoking a half bowl as its the pipe's first smoke, but this BC develops a bit as you go. Thanks again for the help, everyone!
Old 11-05-2014, 02:17 AM   #2699
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Smoking some Comoy's Cask Nš2 in my Christiano bent rusticated Dublin setter. This is pretty good, too!
Old 11-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #2700
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Father Dempsey Blend from Kramers Pipe and Tobacco Shop in Beverly Hills. Second bowl of this blend through the unknown billiard estate pipe that I'm refurbishing, and it has now tightened the tenon in the mortise very well

Thanks for the advice Todd (RevSmoke)