Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 05-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about
Default Rattray old gowrie

Anyone here smoke this stuff?
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rattray old gowrie

Is it’s source anything like kopi luwak coffee?
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:24 PM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Yes, it is an excellent smoke.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #4
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

I'm new to pipe smoking and picked up 3 100g tons of this stuff. Hopefully it's good! I tried brown clunee and it seems very... mellow or dull almost? I've been smoking a lot of maltese falcon and quiet nights lately. That stuff is on point!!
Old 05-27-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel View Post
I'm new to pipe smoking and picked up 3 100g tons of this stuff. Hopefully it's good! I tried brown clunee and it seems very... mellow or dull almost? I've been smoking a lot of maltese falcon and quiet nights lately. That stuff is on point!!
Never had either of the two you have tried, was not personally a fan of Brown Clunee myself, so... take that for what it is worth.

However, you must also remember that you should not expect Brown Clunee to match up to those 2. Those 2 will have more "flavor" as there are Orientals in both, and Quiet Nights has Latakia - both of which will bring about bolder flavors than what is in Old Gowrie.

Remember that when smoking a pipe, tobacco blends with different constituent tobaccos will be like comparing apples and oranges. What I mean by that is that you must expect huge differences between Virginia/Perique blends (like Brown Clunee & Old Gowrie) and Oriental or English blends. Each will have their own distinctive flavors and should be enjoyed for what they bring to the fore.

Hope that helps!

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Never had either of the two you have tried, was not personally a fan of Brown Clunee myself, so... take that for what it is worth.

However, you must also remember that you should not expect Brown Clunee to match up to those 2. Those 2 will have more "flavor" as there are Orientals in both, and Quiet Nights has Latakia - both of which will bring about bolder flavors than what is in Old Gowrie.

Remember that when smoking a pipe, tobacco blends with different constituent tobaccos will be like comparing apples and oranges. What I mean by that is that you must expect huge differences between Virginia/Perique blends (like Brown Clunee & Old Gowrie) and Oriental or English blends. Each will have their own distinctive flavors and should be enjoyed for what they bring to the fore.

Hope that helps!

Being a VaPer I was expecting more of a punch of flavor. I'm still new so my knowledge is only based off of what I've read. I always assumed that aging tobaccos with stronger flavors will have better results, typically. I've read VaPers typically age really well since both of those are good aging tobaccos.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Being a VaPer I was expecting more of a punch of flavor. I'm still new so my knowledge is only based off of what I've read. I always assumed that aging tobaccos with stronger flavors will have better results, typically. I've read VaPers typically age really well since both of those are good aging tobaccos.
Virginias are naturally sweet, usually not with incredible "strong/bold" flavors. Perique is slightly spicy, with what I can only describe as the hint of prunes. Both however can be rather potent with vitamin N (nicotine). VaPers therefore are probably not exactly strong/bold in the flavor department, but might have a nice nic hit. They do have a great flavor, but often subtle.

It has been my practice to enjoy Virginias and Va/Pers after not having anything to smoke for at least 2 days beforehand.

Latakias however are very bold in flavor, as are orientals. On the other hand, they usually are low in vitamin N.

Latakia blends usually do not age very well as they are a "processed" tobacco. O

Latakia and Oriental/Latakia blends typically age very poorly. On the other hand, since Virginias and VaPers are normally straight natural tobaccos, they age incredible well.

Again, after smoking pipe for some 38+ years, this is just my personally limited experience.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #8
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Great to know! I'm trying to keep all this knowledge stored but I'm learning so much so quickly it's hard Haha. I know taste is subject but why do I see so many people throwing these blends into their deep cellars? I see a lot of maltese falcon, Peter heinrichs stuff (which doesnt most of PH's stuff have a hint of flavor casings added?)
Old 05-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Great to know! I'm trying to keep all this knowledge stored but I'm learning so much so quickly it's hard Haha. I know taste is subject but why do I see so many people throwing these blends into their deep cellars? I see a lot of maltese falcon, Peter heinrichs stuff (which doesnt most of PH's stuff have a hint of flavor casings added?)
It is not necessarily stronger flavors that age well. Take for example Rocky Patel Edge cigars, they were fairly strong, but they age poorly. Cubans are usually on the milder side, but they age very well.

Personally, I think it is quality - natural goodness that ages well. So, usually VAs are natural, as are VaPers, so they usually age well.

So, what do you see people throwing into deep cellars?

If you are talking about the Peter Heinrichs stuff going into cellars, it is the natural stuff, not the stuff that is cased.

Interesingly, there are some great VAs and VaPers that many people claim have flavors added, but they were not added. These blends have those flavors by natural means of aging the tobacco before blending, and then possibly new flavors that grew in them because of their natural sweetness.

When I send stuff to you, I will send some blends that show the increased evidence of the natural sugar, as the crystals have risen to the surface - it is a pretty sight. You can tell the difference between mold and sugar crystals - mold is furry while the sugars are crystalline - very evidently so.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:02 PM   #10
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

I have some cigars with some nice plume to them. I'm not sure if pipe tobacco will be the same kind of plume. I'm excited to try some new stuff! I've been just buying blind for the most part. I do have a decent selection, none of it is aged unfortunately. I'll poke around and make sure I send you some stuff I'm enjoying and hopefully you will too!
Old 05-27-2019, 05:23 PM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I have some cigars with some nice plume to them.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:57 PM   #12
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Let me see what the ol'cell phone camera can do
Old 05-27-2019, 07:40 PM   #13
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Hmm apparently I cant upload directly from my phone. Couldnt get a good shot at the plume but I did take some pics of some old stuff that's been laying dormant for quite awhile
Old 05-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #14
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Some G&H Louisiana Flake showing some aging crystals.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:02 PM   #15
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Here is another pic of some old Esoterica Stonehaven, again with some nice crystals showing.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:05 PM   #16
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Another look at some crystals on some more Louisiana Flake.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:14 PM   #17
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Wow it looks a lot more like Crystal's than plume.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #18
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Wow it looks a lot more like Crystal's than plume.
It is easy to tell mold on pipe tobacco, it is furry/fuzzy. It is cool to see the crystals from the sugar/oil combination as it ages. It is really cool to see live, especially under a magnifying glass. The crystalline structures are way cool.

I had a tin of McClelland Christmas Cheer 1994 that I opened and almost fainted. Most of the broken flakes were white, and as I saw them upon opening the tin I was thinking, "Awww crude, mold!" And then I looked more closely and it was tiny crystals all over.

There is a chemical reaction that takes place is certain tobaccos which are naturally high on the sweetness scale, Virginias being the top of that list. What appears to happen is that the oil/sugar meld in such a way that a chemical reaction causes the stuff to rise to the surface in crystalline form. It is just cool looking.

And I have found that the tobaccos which have had this happen are incredibly tasty.

That is just my $0.02.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #19
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

I'm bummed I missed the McCelland days and their tobacco. All I hear and see is frog Morton this and frog Morton that. But at the same time I'm glad I did. I have no idea what I'm missing out on and what I wont be able to get again! You cant miss what you've never had. I'm having no problem finding blends and brands I do like.

I tried another bowl of brown clunee last night and this time I loved it. I slowed down with my cadence and didnt puff on my pipe so hard. It was a brand new tobacco for me that time around. I also had it sitting out for awhile too vs straight from tin to pipe.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:02 PM   #20
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
I'm bummed I missed the McCelland days and their tobacco. All I hear and see is frog Morton this and frog Morton that. But at the same time I'm glad I did. I have no idea what I'm missing out on and what I wont be able to get again! You cant miss what you've never had. I'm having no problem finding blends and brands I do like.

I tried another bowl of brown clunee last night and this time I loved it. I slowed down with my cadence and didnt puff on my pipe so hard. It was a brand new tobacco for me that time around. I also had it sitting out for awhile too vs straight from tin to pipe.
Sounds to me like you are going to enjoy the pipe. It isn't the same as a cigar - AT ALL! Do not expect the same volume of smoke, and as you said, slowing down your cadence and enjoying the subtleties of flavors will make it much more rewarding.