proguy747
Hey hurry up!

First Name: Marc
Trading: (1)
proguy747 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: JoePa Statue coming down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
But Marc...Paterno did report the action to his boss (athletic director). If in fact he didn't report it to anyone, then yes he is guilty of a crime.
So if I reported a crime to my dad but did not call the police its OK? Shifting blame on such a terrible crime is bullshit. Then to allow sanduche to continue to run a children's charity. Give me a break!
Old 07-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #22
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by proguy747 View Post
So if I reported a crime but did not call the police its OK?
I didn't say it was ok..I said it wasn't a crime.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #23
Dukeuni
RIP CS

Trading: (32)
RA
Dukeuni is on a distinguished road

I am not sure what the mandatory reporting laws are for PA, but in Oregon, I believe this would not be a crime, but instead a violation. Further, in Oregon, report to your boss is not sufficient. It must be reported to a law enforcement official or DHS. I believe this makes the most sense. How can you believe that it is "right" to report this to a "chain of command" type of system instead of directly to DHS or LEO? When he went through the chain of command, it would be delayed and would be influenced by politics.

Also, how is the Fresh report biased? As a outsider I was amazed by the report. This is a internal investigation paid by the school. I was assuming that the report would have cleared the school of wrongdoing. Instead the report completely attacked the department and school admins for what happened. I was shocked and impressed.
Dukeuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #24
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

This is one of those situations that is simply terrible in every possible way. The best we can possibly hope for is that we are all reminded of how important it is to live life with honor and do what is right, especially when the right thing is so hard...

Yup- I agree. Hindsight is always 20/20.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #25
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeuni View Post
How can you believe that it is "right" to report this to a "chain of command" type of system instead of directly to DHS or LEO? When he went through the chain of command, it would be delayed and would be influenced by politics.

Also, how is the Fresh report biased?
I said he legally did the "right" thing by reporting it to his superiors. The morally "right" thing to do would have been to take it law enforcement. He was allowing his chain of command to take the appropriate action...which we all agree, they didn't. I liken this to being in the Army for 23+ years, you don't jump chain of command. You notify your higher ups and if action isn't taken, you notify your chain of command that you are taking the action to a higher level. Which Paterno should have done.

Biased in that it lumps "university" into whole. It clearly stated that Spainer, Curley and Schultz were the administration of PSU, not Paterno. The Freeh Report states that "university" didn't take the appropriate action in accordance with the law, failing to comply with the Clery Act. A federal law that requires reporting of certain crimes on campus. The report clearly tells of findings in what the university did wrong. It aso refers to the university and it's administrations faiures...again, Paterno was not in the decision making process for anything outside of the football program.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #26
manny844
GO TIGERS

First Name: Mitchell
Trading: (0)
manny844 is on a distinguished road

Its a shame it had to end this way. However, the statute needed to come down.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #27
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I don't know what more we need to learn about JoePa other than his personal attempt to silence this matter and trying to sweep it under the rug rather than ensuring that Sandusky was reported years ago when he first knew about the acts. His desire was to keep from harming the school/program more so than protecting the innocent kids Sandusky was taking advantage of in the shower and everywhere else.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #28
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I said he legally did the "right" thing by reporting it to his superiors. The morally "right" thing to do would have been to take it law enforcement. He was allowing his chain of command to take the appropriate action...which we all agree, they didn't. I liken this to being in the Army for 23+ years, you don't jump chain of command. You notify your higher ups and if action isn't taken, you notify your chain of command that you are taking the action to a higher level. Which Paterno should have done.

Biased in that it lumps "university" into whole. It clearly stated that Spainer, Curley and Schultz were the administration of PSU, not Paterno. The Freeh Report states that "university" didn't take the appropriate action in accordance with the law, failing to comply with the Clery Act. A federal law that requires reporting of certain crimes on campus. The report clearly tells of findings in what the university did wrong. It aso refers to the university and it's administrations faiures...again, Paterno was not in the decision making process for anything outside of the football program.
I don't give a rats behind about the chain of command when it comes to doing the morally right thing. JoePa was bigger than the school's board of directors, AD, and the president so it's not like he would have been fired for it. Had it been found out that it was someone you known personally that was abused by Sandusky, I doubt you'd just say Paterno did all he was obligated to do and only hold contempt for the administration. Even the assistant coach who witnessed the acts and moved no further than reporting it to JoePa is just as bad. He's been a liar in the whole debacle and just trying to CYA now.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #29
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Calling a convicted pedophile "troubled" is like calling Charles Manson manipulative. It hardly conveys the true nature of their crimes.

Joe Pa did nothing to follow up on his initial "reporting" to the administration. In fact he actively worked to make sure the situation was minimized. He and the administrators were more concerned with the reputation of the university than the health and welfare of the children.

How many who were molested chose not to come forward? Where is the Paterno family's concern for the victims? They are talking about funding an "independent" inquiry but have donated nothing towards those who were molested.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #30
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Calling a convicted pedophile "troubled" is like calling Charles Manson manipulative. It hardly conveys the true nature of their crimes.
Agreed, "troubled" wasn't the correct word Bob...didn't think "sick, twisted f*@&" was appropriate for the board.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #31
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

The bottom line is that Sandusky was a monster who preyed on children. Paterno's complicity in the matter makes him just as guilty IMO. His inaction resulted in further children being victimized. May both of them rot in the deepest portions of hell
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #32
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
May both of them rot in the deepest portions of hell
Sandusky has to die before he rots in Hell. Hopefully a slow, painful death.

Sorry, I usually don't go "there" on this board, but that POS raped children. Death is too good for him.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #33
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If he did in fact "cover it up"...I say yes, troubled for sure.

As stated in a previous post, the Freeh report is extremely biased. Paterno reported the action to his boss (athletic director) and the action taken after that was out of his hands (as far as decision making). Agreed, again above, that once he saw the administrators weren't taking action...he should have went to the authorities. Paterno didn't run Penn State University...those decisions should have been made by the Board of Trustees/President. Why are there names not being drug through the mud like Paternos is?
The board of trustees aren't worshipped as Football Messiahs and there are no statues to take down.

The fact that he should have gone to the authorities and didn't I guess we agree on, I'm not sure if you feel this lack of reporting warrants his statue being removed, but I certainly do.

The bottom line that is important to me: He knew children were being raped and did not tirelessly work to put a stop to it using any and all means at his disposal but instead allowed it to continue. Whether he actively tried to cover it up is, once again, unimportant.

He knew about it, could have stopped it, and didn't even attempt to do so beyond some pass it off to someone else CYA bullcrap. Unless more evidence comes to light indicating he was on his way to the cops but was hit on the head and developed amnesia causing him to forget Sandusky was a child molester I really know all I need to be happy his statue is coming down.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #34
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
The board of trustees aren't worshipped as Football Messiahs and there are no statues to take down.

The fact that he should have gone to the authorities and didn't I guess we agree on, I'm not sure if you feel this lack of reporting warrants his statue being removed, but I certainly do.

The bottom line that is important to me: He knew children were being raped and did not tirelessly work to put a stop to it using any and all means at his disposal but instead allowed it to continue. Whether he actively tried to cover it up is, once again, unimportant.

He knew about it, could have stopped it, and didn't even attempt to do so beyond some pass it off to someone else CYA bullcrap. Unless more evidence comes to light indicating he was on his way to the cops but was hit on the head and developed amnesia causing him to forget Sandusky was a child molester I really know all I need to be happy his statue is coming down.
And the great thing...we are all entitled to our own opinions.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #35
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

The total cost to the University is going to make taking the statue down irrelevant. The fact is he lacked morality in doing what was right in the Christian sense. Yes, he did what was required, but considering heinous nature of what his staff did; it was not enough.

Paterno's actions are not nearly as bad as the Chancellors, for which they should be punished legally. The University is going to lose tens of millions of dollars over this and think of the innocent children who were harmed.

When Chancellors from PA’s other Universities heard what Penn did, they were beside themselves and rightly so.

Perhaps over time there will be healing and his statue won’t represent something so gross, but for right now; removing it is appropriate.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #36
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Sandusky has to die before he rots in Hell. Hopefully a slow, painful death.

Sorry, I usually don't go "there" on this board, but that POS raped children. Death is too good for him.
Yep, Tom said it right.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #37
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Maybe they should bury the statue's head in some sand.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #38
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWhisenand View Post

Touché.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #39
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Playing Devil's advocate for a minute.

How do we know that JoPa didn't consider taking it to the authorities, but was told not to, and that the higher-ups would take care of the problem? We may never know.

Nonetheless, Sandusky needs to be "accidentally" put in general population.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #40
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWhisenand View Post
Reminds me of this:

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.

Last edited by Eleven; 07-22-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Edited for language
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote