Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 08-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Pitching Behind an L-Screen?

I can throw strikes all day to my oldest son, but the minute I get behind an L-screen there seems to be a mental block where I can't throw strikes to him. I throw them way outside and when I attempt to correct it, I tend to throw at his shins. Anybody got any tips or advice for overcoming a mental block from pitching behind an L-screen?
My reaction times are getting slower (in my mid 30s, so I'm just not that enthusiastic about throwing BP to my kid without using an L-screen, but it's just not working.

Any baseball guys here that might can give me some help?

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Pitching Behind an L-Screen?

Andy, I used to throw bp a lot when I was coaching. Throwing behind an L screen took a little getting used to buy it will soon become second nature. I have a couple tips.

- take a couple steps back, you can see around the screen more and when you step and throw you will naturally come behind the screen.
- look through the screen just tithe side of the poll, when you try to look around the screen you pull your head body and everything else to the side (which is probably why you are throwing outside). You arm doesn't come through right where your head is, so looking through the screen will NOT make you throw in the screen.
- sometimes it helps to start by standing sideways just behind the screen and throwing without stepping (think of it as if you are standing with feet and arms spread and your hands point at second base and home plate) just bend and throw and your natural motion will again pull you behind the screen.

Now, a tip for your boy...tell him to hit you in the head every pitch. After you get the hang of getting behind the screen nothing will feel better than him lacing one right back into it and you think "double for sure, my boy"

Good luck brother!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

sounds like great advice to me. I couldn't have said it better myself
Old 08-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
sounds like great advice to me. I couldn't have said it better myself

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaase321 View Post
Andy, I used to throw bp a lot when I was coaching. Throwing behind an L screen took a little getting used to buy it will soon become second nature. I have a couple tips.

- take a couple steps back, you can see around the screen more and when you step and throw you will naturally come behind the screen.
- look through the screen just tithe side of the poll, when you try to look around the screen you pull your head body and everything else to the side (which is probably why you are throwing outside). You arm doesn't come through right where your head is, so looking through the screen will NOT make you throw in the screen.
- sometimes it helps to start by standing sideways just behind the screen and throwing without stepping (think of it as if you are standing with feet and arms spread and your hands point at second base and home plate) just bend and throw and your natural motion will again pull you behind the screen.

Now, a tip for your boy...tell him to hit you in the head every pitch. After you get the hang of getting behind the screen nothing will feel better than him lacing one right back into it and you think "double for sure, my boy"

Good luck brother!
Thanks for the info, Cole!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote