Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 08-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #21
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Go for the Gold....and pay the IRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Deg View Post
I personally do not think they should get taxed on these medal awards, but I do feel it works out in the long run.

- if you win gold and parlay it into endorsement deals a couple of thousand is not going to hurt you.

- if you win gold and do not have all of the endorsements, you will be able to write off all your training expenses and get it all back at tax time. ( I believe, I could be wrong)
They're not being taxed for the medal, they are being taxed for the prize money.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #22
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
They're not being taxed for the medal, they are being taxed for the prize money.
This. If I drew a $25k lottery scratch off, I would be taxed.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #23
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevim View Post
How about MSN/Foxsports...

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/st...?ocid=ansfox11

This is all over right now, so snopes doesn't have the market cornered. And lawmaker are involved with trying to get it overridden.

I have mixed feelings about it. I can't imagine the dedication to get to the point of winning a medal, so they deserve what they get. On the flip side Phelps is somewhere in the neighborhood of $400,000 in medal monies alone, not counting endorsements, not sure he shouldn't have to pay something.
Phelps also has huge endorsement deals from Wheaties, and Subway, I'm sure he is doing fine.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #24
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I consider this a non-story.
While the income tax codes are convoluted and ridiculous, the athletes can offset training and travel costs, etc.
You earn money, you pay taxes.
While it is a wonderful thing to represent your country in the Olympics, they still have to play by the rules and the tax code.
Giving athletes a "bye" perpetuates hero worship culture. Don't get me wrong, I like sports, I like watching the Olympics, I get teary eyed at the anthem. I still do not choose to treat them or view them as "more than equal."
Old 08-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #25
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

I think they should get paid more. A back-up kicker on the worst team in the NFL gets paid a ton more than these athletes that train their entire life. It doesn't make sense to me.

Found this article this morning:
http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news/...-win-gold?lite
Old 08-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #26
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

and a back up kicker on an NFL team gets FAR more than his job is worth. If someone is using that as a basis for anything, you should reconsider your values set, IMO.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #27
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Seriously? Because, in my opinion, I feel the Olympic athletes should be paid more, you've now moved off the topic so far as to judge my values? What an ugly turn this thread has taken.

For the record - I have no problem with them paying taxes on their winnings.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #28
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

First Name: Ron
NeuRon will become famous soon enoughNeuRon will become famous soon enough

land of the free! only if you pay up! rediculous.. these people are representing our country.. grow up
NeuRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #29
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
I think they should get paid more. A back-up kicker on the worst team in the NFL gets paid a ton more than these athletes that train their entire life. It doesn't make sense to me.

Found this article this morning:
http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news/...-win-gold?lite
I would also suggest, since you are partaking in the conversation, that a kicker on an NFL team has most likely also been "training all his life."

As far as them "representing our country" and not paying taxes for that definition, I am all for that. As long as you put service members in the same class.
How do the perceptions of people change when looking at this same conversation when it involves professional athletes? Such as the US Olympic basketball team?

I am most certainly allowed to have my own views on whether I think athletes are paid too much or too little, am I not? Simply because I think differently, and disagree with the norm, via my own values, does not exclude me from stating those values, and my supposition that others might question their own.

By the time all is said and done, I hardly think the tax issue is a burden for many, if not any, of the medal winners, post USOC processing and guidance.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #30
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Are members of our military tax exempt on their wages?
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #31
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I would also suggest, since you are partaking in the conversation, that a kicker on an NFL team has most likely also been "training all his life."

As far as them "representing our country" and not paying taxes for that definition, I am all for that. As long as you put service members in the same class.
How do the perceptions of people change when looking at this same conversation when it involves professional athletes? Such as the US Olympic basketball team?

I am most certainly allowed to have my own views on whether I think athletes are paid too much or too little, am I not? Simply because I think differently, and disagree with the norm, via my own values, does not exclude me from stating those values, and my supposition that others might question their own.

By the time all is said and done, I hardly think the tax issue is a burden for many, if not any, of the medal winners, post USOC processing and guidance.
I think you need to check your values
Old 08-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #32
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Are members of our military tax exempt on their wages?
It varies from state to state, but most states have some kind of an exemption from wages earned in combat zones or while on active duty, but not wages otherwise. I'm not in the military, so if I'm incorrect someone more in the know can fix something I misstated.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #33
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
I think you need to check your values
Nice review.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #34
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuRon View Post
land of the free! only if you pay up! ridiculous.. these people are representing our country.. grow up
Unfortunately thats our USofA.

I am gainfully employed,Taxes are taken from my earnings, I am left a Pittance to buy taxed necessity's and goods of choice. I feel it should be the same for professionals or producers.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote