Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
beyonder
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Cohiba
beyonder is on a distinguished road
Default Cigar Aging Article

A while back I saw a link to a lengthy article on cigar aging that covered the science behind cigar aging and impact on flavor of storing in closed boxes versus storing out as singles, temperature, humidity, etc. Discussed chemical processes, etc. and the different flavor profiles that could be brought out by storing or aging in cabs, boxes, versus loose, etc.

Unfortunately, I'm dumb and didn't bookmark it, and I've searched this site and on google and for the life of me can't find the article. If anyone knows which article I'm referring to or has some ideas, please let me know or provide a link.

Thanks in advance.
beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cigar Aging Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyonder View Post
A while back I saw a link to a lengthy article on cigar aging that covered the science behind cigar aging and impact on flavor of storing in closed boxes versus storing out as singles, temperature, humidity, etc. Discussed chemical processes, etc. and the different flavor profiles that could be brought out by storing or aging in cabs, boxes, versus loose, etc.

Unfortunately, I'm dumb and didn't bookmark it, and I've searched this site and on google and for the life of me can't find the article. If anyone knows which article I'm referring to or has some ideas, please let me know or provide a link.

Thanks in advance.
If it's the article I'm thinking of, it was in a Russian cigar magazine that is now defunct. Try Googling "Queen of Aromas"; I think that was the name of the article. And yes, it was an amazing read.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Nathan King

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1903A1 View Post
If it's the article I'm thinking of, it was in a Russian cigar magazine that is now defunct. Try Googling "Queen of Aromas"; I think that was the name of the article. And yes, it was an amazing read.
The magazine was Cigar Clan. "Queeen of Aromas" was in Volume I of the 2005 English supplement. The article was penned by Willy Alvero; however, I have not had any luck tracking it down.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
nick2021
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (17)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
nick2021 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing will check this out for sure
Old 03-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Nathan King

I'll let you know if I can find it. If you find it let me know. I would like to read it as well.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

It would be great if that article could be found. Until then, I think that we just need to stick to Nickerson's Rule of 3*

* - j/k. Anyone with a specific set of rules that claim things like "no cigar gets better after 3 years" is known, at least in some parts of the cigar world, as a "Nickerson". This is not a term of endearment.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

If three years was the peak of a cigar then a Sir Winston would never taste good. After 2 years they are still plenty harsh and need much more age. But I bet that extra year would turn that harshness for 80% of the stick into completely non existent
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
BnBTobacco

I'll try to check this out.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #9
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
It would be great if that article could be found. Until then, I think that we just need to stick to Nickerson's Rule of 3*

* - j/k. Anyone with a specific set of rules that claim things like "no cigar gets better after 3 years" is known, at least in some parts of the cigar world, as a "Nickerson". This is not a term of endearment.
Nobody bad mouths the Rule of 3! Nobody!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #10
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Nobody bad mouths the Rule of 3's! Nobody!

The Nickerson Rule #3 rules!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #11
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

I remember this!
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #12
d'am
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
Bolivar
d'am is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan King View Post
The magazine was Cigar Clan. "Queeen of Aromas" was in Volume I of the 2005 English supplement. The article was penned by Willy Alvero; however, I have not had any luck tracking it down.
I love me a good challenge...and damn this was hard! Turns out that yahoo search has the article cached. Here you go:

http://74.6.238.254/search/srpcache?...6I4NRhG4.bzw--
d'am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #13
sam a
... .. .

Trading: (2)
QdO
sam a has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by d'am View Post
I love me a good challenge...and damn this was hard! Turns out that yahoo search has the article cached. Here you go:

http://74.6.238.254/search/srpcache?...6I4NRhG4.bzw--
thanks!
Old 03-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
Swif

Thanks for find the article. Very interesting read.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #15
rgrecco
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ronald
Trading: (4)
LFdC
rgrecco is on a distinguished road

Marking for a later read
rgrecco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #16
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Time to buy a 5er, stick it in a large empty humi and voila, 4 months from now you have perfectly aged "5+ year old" cigars. Who needs years of careful aging? Pass that crack pipe, please...

FWIW, seems the writer read or attended some wine related courses/literature as many of the assumptions, and I can't call them anything but that since some of the "findings" presented directly contradict common knowledge/experience, are dead wrong. Anyone who has worked with wine barrels will tell you that there is no mechanism for tannins to "vanish/escape" even with years of air drying the wood, they "soften" oak tannins by burning the staves while assembling barrels, the greater the burn the softer the tannins in the assembled barrel. Also, many of the flavor characteristics described belong to wine world mostly, I have yet to taste a cigar with a "mushroom" taste, yet plenty of older FRENCH wines display that trait, just one example.

And that "10 year" over the hill limit is also a big pile of BS, from personal experience as well as from plenty of others'. Plenty of cigars taste great with 30-40 years on them (one wouldn't age Garcia & Vega, though).

This article comes from a nation that pretty much doesn't smoke cigars and what's sold there is 99% fake. But, hey, impressive charts/graphics and all that...
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #17
toasterhead
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Dave
Trading: (6)
Partagas
toasterhead is on a distinguished road

Excellent article, thanks. Similar to MRN's thoughts on aging.

Dave
Old 03-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #18
beyonder
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Cohiba
beyonder is on a distinguished road

That's the article I was looking for. Thanks for the find!
beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #19
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Time to buy a 5er, stick it in a large empty humi and voila, 4 months from now you have perfectly aged "5+ year old" cigars. Who needs years of careful aging? Pass that crack pipe, please...

FWIW, seems the writer read or attended some wine related courses/literature as many of the assumptions, and I can't call them anything but that since some of the "findings" presented directly contradict common knowledge/experience, are dead wrong. Anyone who has worked with wine barrels will tell you that there is no mechanism for tannins to "vanish/escape" even with years of air drying the wood, they "soften" oak tannins by burning the staves while assembling barrels, the greater the burn the softer the tannins in the assembled barrel. Also, many of the flavor characteristics described belong to wine world mostly, I have yet to taste a cigar with a "mushroom" taste, yet plenty of older FRENCH wines display that trait, just one example.

And that "10 year" over the hill limit is also a big pile of BS, from personal experience as well as from plenty of others'. Plenty of cigars taste great with 30-40 years on them (one wouldn't age Garcia & Vega, though).

This article comes from a nation that pretty much doesn't smoke cigars and what's sold there is 99% fake. But, hey, impressive charts/graphics and all that...

Greg, thanks. I was wondering what your take would be on some of the points in that article. I started having a hard time taking the author seriously when he went off on the flavors/aromas marrying bunk and some of the other stuff started sounding a bit "off".

I don't think that everything he says is without value/merit. but gospel it's not.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #20
Swif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post

So like a fine whiskey as I have been told, in the wine industry they burn the oak barrels as well?

Not a be fan of ether, but I can have a little whiskey on the rocks. Wine is defiantly not my cup of tea.

So like whiskey so I have been told, wine producer burn the oak barrel?

I am not a big whiskey drinker but I can have it on the rocks every once and a while. As far as wine I can not stand the stuff.