Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #1861
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Is you glock factory or have you put in aftermarket stuff? When you detail stripped it did you remove and clean the firing pin assembly?

Most common things would be connector issues or crap is accumulating in the striker channel.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #1862
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Is you glock factory or have you put in aftermarket stuff? When you detail stripped it did you remove and clean the firing pin assembly?

Most common things would be connector issues or crap is accumulating in the striker channel.
Everything is stock and I did clean everything during that detail stripping. However, after another detail strip everything is back to normal. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary...still scratching my head on what it could have been.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #1863
cigars_n_scotch

Well since this is the "first firearm thread" I will post up my very first personal firearm. I grew up around firearms from my father and grandfather, hunted a bit, and shot many different kinds of firearms and calibers. I have not however owned a firearm before myself, they were always my fathers. I wanted my own pistol for recreational target practice and home defense. I read quite a bit about the SA line of handguns and also saw a lot of positive feedback on this line as a first handgun, which played a part in my choice. It's a popular handgun. I also wanted my wife to be able to shoot it and be comfortable. She is from a family who was never involved with firearms, hunting, etc. and I recently got her introduced to it by taking her skeet shooting with my dad and I. And we just found out she is pregnant so now I have an addition to our family to protect.

It was time...time to get my own. And here it is..

Springfield Armory XD9 Compact (along with a xmas present that I received from my parents, the Boker AK-74 knife).

I put about 80 rounds through her today to begin the break-in process, I have a lot to go but it's a start. It was comfortable to shoot and I imagine will get more comfortable as I shoot it more. Stopped at my local outdoorsmen shop and picked up "eyes and ears" as well as a cleaning kit and a gun vault (for in-home safety as well as to calm my wife's nerves).

I am very happy with my purchase thus far. Looking forward to putting more rounds through her as well as my next purchase. (looking for a 12 gauge to skeet shoot with my pops and also maybe hunt, along with getting an AR).

Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #1864
looking for know
Dr. Mike

Trading: (10)
Army (Served With Honor)
looking for know is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigars_n_scotch View Post
Well since this is the "first firearm thread" I will post up my very first personal firearm.
I thought that meant the first firearm thread on the site.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #1865
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Justin I have an XD9 full size that I am putting through its paces with my better half lately. She loves it. I am still adjusting being a big 1911 guy as well as having a ton of Glock time I am really liking it. Great choice I like that 2 tone you have.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #1866
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGuy View Post
Everything is stock and I did clean everything during that detail stripping. However, after another detail strip everything is back to normal. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary...still scratching my head on what it could have been.
To be on the safe side if this is a carry gun I would run 100 rounds through it just to ensure the gremlins dont come back.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #1867
cigars_n_scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking for know View Post
I thought that meant the first firearm thread on the site.
po-tatoe, pot-ah-toe!

Glad to hear you like yours Frank! I am certainly looking forward to putting more rounds through my XD. 1911's intrigue me, I'd like to shoot one. Perhaps I will at the range one day....

Old 12-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #1868
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

Nice xd cigars&scotch. The xd looks like a service not a compact but I could be mistaken as I started the celebrating a little early. Have you looked at trijicon night sights? A good place to order accessories for the xd is www.pistolgear.com
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2010, 05:26 PM   #1869
theoneandonly
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (0)
CoastGuard (Served With Honor)
theoneandonly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGuy View Post
Any Glock guys in here?

Ran into a little problem today. Went to the range today and fired around 200 rounds, everything working perfectly. Came back home and cleaned it, just field stripped it, resembled it only to find the trigger won't reset. Went ahead and detail stripped it and after reassembling it the trigger reset for the first two dry fires, then went back to not resetting. I did find that if I pull/hold the trigger back while re-cocking that the trigger will reset. Any ideas?
Thats why I don't like Glocks. They are great single action only guns.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #1870
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Rivals:

Old 01-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #1871
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Any one know about Marlin model 60's? I have a chance to pick one up for about $85, worth the price? I haven't had a chance to look at it, all I know is that it's an older model maybe from the mid 80's, with a cheapo scope on it.

I'm thinking for $85 wth for a cheap plinker, pending the condition it's in.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #1872
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
Thats why I don't like Glocks. They are great single action only guns.
I am guessing it is operator error on this one, and something went back together in an "unapproved" manner. That can happen with any firearm.
As a guy that has put over 6 or 7000 rounds through a Glock, I can speak with a small bit of experience with them. Something is probably fouled badly, reassembled "not quite right," or something of the type.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #1873
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Trading: (37)
Montecristo
BamBam will become famous soon enoughBamBam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
Any one know about Marlin model 60's? I have a chance to pick one up for about $85, worth the price? I haven't had a chance to look at it, all I know is that it's an older model maybe from the mid 80's, with a cheapo scope on it.

I'm thinking for $85 wth for a cheap plinker, pending the condition it's in.
Personally I'd go for a Ruger 10/22 at a pawn shop. I have two and they are as modifiable as an AR-15. I love tinkering with mine. That and I like the detachable magazine versus the tube fed which I believe the Marlin model 60 to be.

Much easier to clean also IMO.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #1874
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I am guessing it is operator error on this one, and something went back together in an "unapproved" manner. That can happen with any firearm.
As a guy that has put over 6 or 7000 rounds through a Glock, I can speak with a small bit of experience with them. Something is probably fouled badly, reassembled "not quite right," or something of the type.
You're probably right. Just not sure what I could have done wrong putting it back together. I did do a detail strip of the gun before that range session so everything was clean as possible, with everything functioning 100% after that and the 200 rounds at the range. Just can't figure out why the problem only became apparent after field stripping it...not much to screw up there.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #1875
looking for know
Dr. Mike

Trading: (10)
Army (Served With Honor)
looking for know is on a distinguished road

Got a great deal on this lower.

Before...

After...

Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #1876
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

Trading: (40)
HdM
Cigarcop has disabled reputation

Lets see if I can get this thread going!!

Just built and fresh off the UPS truck..

Beanland build.243, Surgeon 591 Action, Jewell Trigger, Spiral fluted Rock 5r Barrel 1-7.5 throated for 108 Bergers, sitting in a hard to find Sentinel Stock.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #1877
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

She sure is pretty. Whats her name? I sure as hell would take her to the dance. Great looking tool there. 2 or 4 legged critters?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #1878
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

HdM

I could hunt with it but its for tactical matches.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #1879
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

Thats one heck of a rifle to start the thread back up with. What are you going to do when the thread goes cold for over a week?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #1880
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

HdM

Just dig thru some pages...this ain't my first trip to the rodeo!
Closed Thread