Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Nestor Miranda Art Deco

Size: 4.5×50, Coffee Break

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo 2006

Binder: Dominican Criollo 1998 and Nicaraguan Habano 2000

Filler: Nicaraguan Corojo 1999 and Dominican San Vicente

Strength: Medium

Price: $6-8

Grade: 8.9

Released at the 78th IPCPR Annual Convention and Trade in New Orleans this year, the Nestor Miranda Art Deco is the latest collaboration between Don Pepin Garcia and Nestor Miranda. The filler is composed of 60% Nicaraguan Corojo and 40% Dominican San Vicente, a Dominican Crilollo’98 and Nicaraguan Habano ’00 binder, and a Nicaraguan Corojo ’06 wrapper. This is a departure for Pepin, as he is very comfortable with Nicaraguan tobacco; however on this particular blend, he utilizes 40% Dominican tobacco.

The presentation of this smoke is in step with the Art Deco name. The cigars are presented with a metallic band in art-deco designed tins of 21 smokes. Available in three sizes, Coffee Break /4.5×50; Robusto Grande/5.5×54; and Gran Toro/6×60, we have selected the Coffee Break for review here at Toasted Foot.

Pre-light, 1.7:
The Corojo wrapper on the new offering from Nestor Miranda is pretty smooth with the exception of a few veins. The triple cap is constructed well and the smoke is well packed with a good weight in the palm. The pre-light aroma is of earth along the wrapper with a hint of sweet spice at the foot. On the cold draw I pick a sharp blast of spice that hits on the back of the throat. Lastly the band on this cigar is an eye-catcher to say the least; these smokes look like they should be for sale in the lobby of the Chrysler building.

Burn, 1.8:
Cut, toasted, and lit, the draw on the Art Deco is nice from start to finish. The white ash holds well past one inch before falling into the tray. The smoke temperature is nice for the most part, but warms up a bit towards the end.

Flavor, 2.7:
The first puff on the cigar produces earthy notes with a lot of spice mixed in on the finish. The cigar balances out into the first third with notes of earth, coffee, and a subtle spice on the finish. There is a sweetness at times that comes through the spice and it is warm on the palate. The second third continues to mellow out a bit and the notes are consistent with the above profile, but with a little less earthiness. The last third is even more subdued with only a hint of spice present and the finish continues to be long but not very heavy.

Overall, 2.7:
I was pretty excited to get my hands on this smoke and in this particular size. I enjoyed this smoke but I will be honest, it did not blow me away like the Special Selection blend in this same size did. I enjoy trying anything produced by Nestor Miranda and Don Pepin, so this smoke was not a disappointment by any means, but by comparison I enjoyed their other two collaborations more. Only available in B&Ms, this cigar may be hard to find, but it is worth a purchase.

(Total: 8.9)
Old 10-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Nestor Miranda Art Deco

nice review
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

I've had a handful of them and they are pretty darn good!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough

Great review, and dead-on. These are great smokes. Have you had the chance to meet Nestor yet? If you ever get the chance, it's definatly worth it, he has some great stories behind why he creates and names his cigars.
Matt-N-Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Another superb review Matthew!!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
pinotguy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (13)
pinotguy is on a distinguished road

Have these been officially released? I've been eager to try these but have not been able to find any.

If anyone can provide some leads on where I can pick some of these up, it would be appreciated.
pinotguy is offline   Reply With Quote