Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
CigarDoc

Default Rocky Patel Autumn Blend Robusto

Well, I bought 2 of these on a whim about 3 weeks ago. I always stick new sticks in the humi for about 3 weeks before smoking. I've been eyeballing it for a few days and today after I got home I decided to have it.

Pregame: I snipped just the right amount off with my Palio and gave it a whiff. Light scent of hay and a little bit of a floral scent, kind of hibiscus-ish. Kind of reminded me of a Davidoff Special R. Draw was just right, not too loose, not too tight. Construction was good. Just the right amount of spring to the wrapper. No big veins or flaws. Wrapper was the color of butterscotch, and very smooth looking. So, with my trusty Colibri, I lit the badboy up

1st quarter: Initially, I thought this cigar to be a sheep in wolfs clothing. The first half inch was really light, not too much flavor at all. Then, about a half inch in, it started to get a lot better. The flavor started to kick in with tobacco and earthy flavors. Smoke was ample.

2nd quarter: The flavors were getting more pronounced now. Not too much complexity, but good consistency with it. The tastes strengthened up a good deal, keeping with the earthiness and tobacco flavors, with an added nuttiness, much like pecans. The draw remains good and the smoke was billowing out of my mouth. It stayed cool and didn't have any bitterness to the taste whatsoever, which I've found most RP sticks get around the halfway point.

3rd quarter: Pretty much the same as the rest, adding a bit of sweetness to the taste, but not getting any more complex.

4th quarter: Same as the beginning. It never got harsh or bitter. The smoke never got hot. It remained consistant until the nub. Good flavors to the whole thing. Good and consistant. This cigar would go good with a good pale ale or a wheat beer. Great daytime or after lunch smoke. I'd want something a little heavier if I was to smoke this after a big dinner, but for the time of the day, it was good. I'd rate this cigar an 88-90. I'd buy a few to stick in the humi for a " I want a such and such right now" but I don't think I'd buy a whole box. I'll leave the remaining one in the box for another 6 months and see how it turns out.

Doc.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rocky Patel Autumn Blend Robusto

Hadn't heard of these. Thanks for the review.

BlackIrish