Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Ashton San Cristobal fabuloso

A friend from the states send me this cigar to review, as the San Cristobal isn’t available in Europe yet due to the fact that there is another cigar, San Cristobal de la Habana, who claimed the name. I do hope that Ashton will release this cigar in Europe under another name as I quite liked it. It’s Ashton’s biggest release in years and I wonder why they haven’t come up with a name that is new and that they could register worldwide.

For this particular line, Don Pepin Garcia teamed up with Ashton and together they made the San Cristobal possible. Made from Nicaraguan tobacco with a nice dark oily wrapper, this 6 inch ring 52 torpedo looks great, the wrapper has some pretty veins running over it. The construction is great, no weak spots and a nice aroma. Only downside on the looks is the bit over the top cigar band.

Lots of coffee and wood with a noticeable sweetness, that is my first impression. The sweetness reminds me a bit of the Flor de Oliva maduro but with a more intense cedar wood flavor. Lots of flavors, hits of leather and spices. After about an inch the leather gets a bit stronger and wins the battle with the cedar. Soon after it’s a chocolate aroma on the palate and then the cedar makes a powerful comeback. Close to the turning point it’s cedar with a hint of mint on the tongue and a pepper on the lips. While the pepper fades, the cedar and mint flavors stick around until it’s time to part ways and let the nub die in the ashtray.

The draw and construction are close to perfect, the amount of smoke is good but I like it a bit thicker and more. The ash is quite light from color and not too firm.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, definitely worth another hour of my time
Don Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
auburnfan1980

Default Re: Ashton San Cristobal fabuloso

As a certified Pepin whore, I had to try this one about six months ago up in Nashville @ Uptown. I was thoroughly impressed, as I found it to be consistently complex throughout. Great review!

Jason