Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2018, 05:38 AM   #1
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough
Question Questions on humidity...

Hey everyone,

Okay so this is still my first year in actually maintaining a...well, at this point, a *few* humidors. It has been an incredibly rewarding process as opposed to past years when I would simply buy out of a B&M store.
While the weather was still warm outside, I had finally zeroed in the humidity in all my humidors...it was a moment of true happiness & pride for me, and I can only assume it’s akin to the feeling a proud father gets for his kid.
However, recently I have had a drop in one particular humidor. (Problem child)
I have since commensed in an attempt to compensate this drop and herein lies some of my questions.
If a humidor has accidentally reached high humidity levels (78+) how long does it take for the cigars to be negatively affected? I do keep a watchful eye and check every morning and afternoon, but there has been at least a few hours that my sticks have been subjected to this heinous form of brutality.
I have made it a point to check this frequently because last summer I had a truly awful experience where I lost power & air conditioning and for about 24 hours and one smaller humidor sat at somewhere around 78-80 both temperature and relative humidity. There was a box’s worth of Guardian of the Farm sticks in it and to this day, I could SWEAR they were ruined, as ever since they simply don’t taste as wonderful as they used to. (Extremely peppery and harsh.)
I have read numerous articles & sources stating that flavors are affected and oils are lost when a cigar is under humidified but from what I’ve seen, none state the same thing about over-humidificafion. So my 2nd question is just that, have any of you noticed that your cigars have been negatively affected this way by over-humidification? I’ve read about the inherent risks of splitting, beetles & mold but I’m specifically wondering about taste. I have since kept those Guardian of the Farm’s at 68-70 relative humidity for a few months and they still taste like harsh pepper bombs. or maybe it was just the temperature that was responsible?
Please let me know any and all thoughts, experiences or recommendations any of you have, and I very much appreciate you taking the time to read my long winded post!
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote