Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default The Photochop practice and advice thread

I've been thinking about another photochop contest. However, after my last one, many people complained that there is a certain group that is well above the norm and "always wins" (I don't think that part is necessarily true).

So it seems to me that people need a place where they can post their chops, ask questions, and get advice on how to make them better. I think that this is a thread that, if successful, will become quite the learning tool here at CA.

I have no photochop skills, so I probably won't participate for a while, but I am interested in how people do such a good job at matching skin tone.

So post some chops, share some tips and tricks and let's get ready for when the next contest shows up.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: The Photochop practice and advice thread

can we make sure to keep the Creepy Stalker factor to a minimum? How about making sure the subject has given permission to the chopper?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Even though it is all in good fun...I agree with Pete...permission would be a good idea.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

What is the "Creepy Stalker" factor?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
can we make sure to keep the Creepy Stalker factor to a minimum? How about making sure the subject has given permission to the chopper?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
Even though it is all in good fun...I agree with Pete...permission would be a good idea.
O.K. I'll bite.

How would these permissions be managed?

I understand where you are coming from but I see another nightmare for the TOE. In the past, I think we've done a decent job (and the participants, too) in keeping things from going too far.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
O.K. I'll bite.

How would these permissions be managed?

I understand where you are coming from but I see another nightmare for the TOE. In the past, I think we've done a decent job (and the participants, too) in keeping things from going too far.
A guy would just have to pm a guy to use their pic.

The "Creepy Stalker" factor is when someone chops and posts someone's picture they don't know. Some guys are sensitive to it, Peter.
It's understandable, especially if things get "weird".
Never phased me, but I don't take anything very seriously and I have a very broad sick sense of humor. It can definately get over the top sometimes, though.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post

The "Creepy Stalker" factor is when someone chops and posts someone's picture they don't know. Some guys are sensitive to it, Peter.
It's understandable, especially if things get "weird".
Never phased me, but I don't take anything very seriously and I have a very broad sick sense of humor. It can definately get over the top sometimes, though.
I understand that. Now I'm not trying to split hairs here but I do want to understand. What constitutes someone you "know". There are a lot of members here I've never met face to face. Hypothetically, which ones do I know and which ones don't I know?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
So, I guess each chop would have to be approved by the choppee before being posted? How does one handle a chop with 5 or 6 people in it? Approval from all?

I'm not trying to be difficult here but I see this as a nightmare.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Maybe just keeping it simple and asking the person (choppie) before they are photo chopped?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Maybe just keeping it simple and asking the person (choppie) before they are photo chopped?
Before? What happens if they don't like the results? We're right where we are without permissions in the first place.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
So, I guess each chop would have to be approved by the choppee before being posted? How does one handle a chop with 5 or 6 people in it? Approval from all?

I'm not trying to be difficult here but I see this as a nightmare.
Only for the chopper, Peter, the ToE need not be involved. A pm would serve as a "receipt" in case of an issue. And I think it might be appropriate, and minimal time invested by the chopper and the choppee to insure a "more harmonious" environment. You trust your friends or you don't.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Also, if members don't allow themselves to be chopped, do we allow them to participate in the contest? (Yeah. This is cool. As long as it isn't me.)

Sorry for the threadjack, Mark. This thread was supposed to be about sharing skills and techniques and it turned into something else.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Before? What happens if they don't like the results? We're right where we are without permissions in the first place.
If they don't like it then the chop doesn't get posted...better to not have something posted then start a pissing match.

Mark,
One tip I got from my creative dept was if I want to phase someone out then copy the background nearby, rotate, and paste over..I did this with another woman's shadow that was ruining my sunset photo.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Howabouts you just chop away and if the chopie has an issue with it, they just PM the chopper or hit the report post button ?

Jezus, it's not like you need a modeling release and contract, it's a frickin' photochop for fun on a cigar forum. Do you seriously think anyone here is that malicious?

It's a photochop, not a faked celebrity nudie picture...
Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #15
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Also, if members don't allow themselves to be chopped, do we allow them to participate in the contest? (Yeah. This is cool. As long as it isn't me.)

Sorry for the threadjack, Mark. This thread was supposed to be about sharing skills and techniques and it turned into something else.
You are correct, I was addressing a "policy" or "etiquette" issue rather than the nuts and bolts of PS'ing. I think it needed to be clarified again, and am not alone. I threadjacked it a bit before you.
Sorry.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #16
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Howabouts you just chop away and if the chopie has an issue with it, they just PM the chopper or hit the report post button ?

Jezus, it's not like you need a modeling release and contract, it's a frickin' photochop for fun on a cigar forum. Do you seriously think anyone here is that malicious?
It happens by accident. The choppee doesn't like the pic and feelings get hurt, sad but true.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #17
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
If they don't like it then the chop doesn't get posted...better to not have something posted then start a pissing match.
So, if I understand you correctly, Bao, permission is after the chop but before posting.
Quote:

This is how things have been handled in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
You are correct, I was addressing a "policy" or "etiquette" issue rather than the nuts and bolts of PS'ing. I think it needed to be clarified again, and am not alone. I threadjacked it a bit before you.
Sorry.
I understand your concerns, Pete.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #18
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
It happens by accident. The choppee doesn't like the pic and feelings get hurt, sad but true.
I'm well aware of that, hence why they can then PM the chopper and ask that the photo be taken down or hit the report post button, or quit acting like a whinny little schoolgirl.

You guys are creating a mountain out of a molehill and in the process, you're asking the admins to be your police or daycare supervisors. I think they have better things to do than that.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #19
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
So, if I understand you correctly, Bao, permission is after the chop but before posting.
Yupper

Quote:
I'm well aware of that, hence why they can then PM the chopper and ask that the photo be taken down or hit the report post button, or quit acting like a whinny little schoolgirl.

You guys are creating a mountain out of a molehill and in the process, you're asking the admins to be your police or daycare supervisors. I think they have better things to do than that.
I would love to say that everyone here loves everyone else but some personalities clash. I fully agree with it being "Just in good fun" but like I said, some are more sensitive than others as such some have different opinions of what is funny or rude.

The ToE don't have to do anything...Choppers should just understand a rule of courtesy, as some don't like being chopped.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #20
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
I would love to say that everyone here loves everyone else but some personalities clash. I fully agree with it being "Just in good fun" but like I said, some are more sensitive than others as such some have different opinions of what is funny or rude.
Such is the case on every forum.
Closed Thread