Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-09-2014, 02:38 AM   #1
Robulous78

Default Thoughts? Soto Pocket Torch

Saw this, Thought I'd post it up for ridicule

REI : Soto Pocket Torch

While IDK about how "clean" the butane in a .50 cent lighter might be to light a gar with, I do on occasion like to start other fires, as well as light the grill and go camping of course...

Thought I'd post this up and see what you guys might think about them? how safe do you think it is to have a "torch attachment" to a .02 cent gas station lighter?

do you think they are Bic compatible?
Old 01-09-2014, 02:49 AM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Thoughts? Soto Pocket Torch

Hmmm. Interesting. I don't know how it works, or if it can "upgrade" a cheap drugstore lighter into an actual torch, but I will say that, unlike too many torches, a cheap drugstore lighter is a reliable source of flame that doesn't die until it's dead.

Hell, I likely have close to 50 useless torches stuck in drawers somewhere.

Oh, and good morning Rob.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
the nub
Papa Chino

LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road

looks like a more compact version of the Solder-It torch that a lot of Canadian gusy used to use. If the mechanism is dependable, then it would be worth a look depending on price. It's a great idea for travelling when you can't bring a can of butane. Buy extra refills and you are good to go for a long while.

BTW nothing wrong with the butane in a gas station lighter.
the nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

I am wondering about this for flying?

You can take disposable lighters on the planes and then with this attachment... thoughts?
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

Hmmmm, those are the lighters that you can pop the flame adjusters off of to make the crack torches. Wonder if the huge flame would shoot out of the attachment?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

For those who didn't click the link, it says it fits rectangular lighters and not "round" ones such as Bic. Out of 68 listed reviewers, 43 said it was easy to use, 35 said functional, and 10 said easy to set up. But 5 said it was difficult to use, and 19 said it doesn't work.

Before shipping (free with $50 order) it runs $19.95. Add in some coin for the lighter . . . hmmm, I can buy 4 Jetlites for that.

As I said earlier, interesting. Worthwhile? Your call.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
Robulous78

appreciate the input Thomas, and now that someone brought up the airport question I am interested in the answer...
Old 01-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by the nub View Post
can anyone scientifically put this to rest once and for all please? I have heard both... and with the added x3 or more filtering some offer I wonder if its worth it or im am paying more for nothing?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
ky70
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ken
Trading: (0)
ky70 is on a distinguished road

I think you'd be better off just grabbing a cheap "Power" jet torch lighter from Ebay.

This torch has the best torch flame I've seen (I have over 25 torch lighters), has a huge fuel tank, runs on any fuel AND you have the ability to lock the flame on to use this lighter as an actual torch.

ky70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I had an ECO brand version for years. Overall, they work fine, but don't deliver as strong of a flame as a dedicated torch lighter.

How they work is that the top half has a collar/piece of hose that self-aligns and fits over the nozzle on the lighter when you snap the halves together, this hose carries the gas to the torch head. The trigger lever on the outer shell pushes down on the trigger of the lighter to dispense gas and sparks a piezoelectric at the torch head. The spark wheel is not used, in fact, the refillable cartridge that comes with some of them won't even have a spark wheel.

The ECO, and from the looks of it, the one posted also, only take flat scripto-style lighters and won't hold a bic. Also, you have to disassemble the outer shell to make adjustments to the flame height lever on the lighter.

As for air travel, according to a friend who is a chief mechanic at American Air, the reason you can't have torches on a plane isn't the gas, it's the high temperature flame and "welding" capability, so it's anyone's guess how TSA will react to one of these if they recognize it.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #11
Robulous78

Appreciated Adam

Thoughts on the butane question?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

At 1200-1400C it all burns clean. If your lighter will run on the cheap stuff, and you feel like $1 over the course of a year is a significant savings, then go for it. If anything, the more refined / higher grade butane is just to keep the finicky lighters from clogging. Possibly inhaling a smidge of impurities in the butane isn't really something I concern myself with when I'm smoking a handful of dried, rolled up known carcinogens.

I would avoid the perfumed butanes though.

Last edited by T.G; 01-09-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #13
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Even to light my Acids?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #14
Robulous78

Quote:
they make that?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #15
Robulous78

LoL Thomas
Old 01-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #16
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
they make that?
Never really looked into them too much but I recall seeing small size butane refills years ago that were labeled with scents/flavors at certain gas stations that seemed to double as head shops.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #17
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky70 View Post
I think you'd be better off just grabbing a cheap "Power" jet torch lighter from Ebay.
For what you pay for one of those on eBay, you can get five of them delivered from Hong Kong. Make sure you use the "bulkrate" code.

http://dx.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320
Old 01-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
ky70
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by the nub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
can anyone scientifically put this to rest once and for all please? I have heard both... and with the added x3 or more filtering some offer I wonder if its worth it or im am paying more for nothing?
Not scientifically, but I can share my personal experience (I have gone through dozens of butane lighters with many different butane fuels over the past 14 years).

Some of my lighters do not care what butane you feed them. For instance my Ronson lighters and the Power lighter pictured above will run on anything. So fuel quality doesn't much matter for them (that I have noticed).

Now my non-cheap lighters do not play well with the cheap fuel, in fact, they weren't playing well with good fuel. I noted a definite difference between the best fuels and everything else. I recently was half way through a can of xikar fuel. The xikar was fine for several months but then I started noticing some performance issues (lower flame heights, not lighting as consistently) with several of my lighters...so much so that I ordered a can of Vector fuel (old reliable) as I started to suspect the xikar butane may have been the issue.

The below pics show lighters (set at the same hi flame levels) on both fuels. After xikar fuel was bled out, vector fuel was pumped in and after about a 2 minute wait, the lighters were fired up (without adjusting flame height). I have more comparison pics with other lighters but these 4 pics tell the story good enough.

Last edited by ky70; 01-09-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #19
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
For what you pay for one of those on eBay, you can get five of them delivered from Hong Kong. Make sure you use the "bulkrate" code.

Thanks for this link, my secret santa hit me with one of these and quickly has become my go to lighter and has a large enough reserve to where it's perfect for large herfs.

Will be ordering.

Edit: Damn there a lot of cool "cheap" little dodads on that site, it's like the devil site of cool crap, that being said I probably won't be ordering a knockoff iPhone charger from them

Last edited by AdamJoshua; 01-09-2014 at 11:28 AM.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #20
ky70
Still Watching My Back

Quote:

If time is no issue, DX will be tough to beat on price. But I got my couple from ebay for around $4 each as I was willing to pay a $1 or 2 more since I wanted the lighters within the week and DX shipping can take a month or more.