Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
PCR
Maduro! Maduro? Maduro.

First Name: Paul
Trading: (6)
Montecristo
PCR will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Ronson Jetlight

Bought four of these last month, all four have crapped out alreday.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ronson Jetlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCR View Post
WOW...have been using one for almost a year now. Only use around the house, but still...purge and refill and she works like a champ.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

kinda odd that four lighters would crap out... perhaps you just need to purge them?

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
PCR
Maduro! Maduro? Maduro.

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
WOW...have been using one for almost a year now. Only use around the house, but still...purge and refill and she works like a champ.
Funny, I did that too, refilled with Ronson fluid... still not woking. Time for a Blazer.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
mobarbq
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Wes
Trading: (0)
mobarbq is on a distinguished road

I did learn something about butane operations from refilling mine. I am by no means a butane expert, but I have learned that if you are not getting some sidespray and/or having the main chamber unit get very cold, you are probably not getting any fuel down inside the unit. You just think you are filling it, but you aren't-it isn't working. I think their input valve is not the same as it used to be. I initially thought mine had crapped out too, but it almost seemed like the input valve was either defective or had something inside it plugging it up. (Maybe some wax or something they put on it at the time of manufacture to protect it during shipping?) After playing with it, you should be or begin hearing an audible hiss when it is filling up and then the "overspray" of the butane escaping from around the intake valve will start freezing your fingers, etc. That means the lighter is full, having reached maximum capacity. Immediately stop and wait a full 30 minutes before trying to ignite the lighter. If you try to immediately use it, it will not work (and you will accordingly think it has crapped out on you). That's the story on how my ordeal went; got mine about a month ago. Wasn't easy to find.
Mine's doing great now. **NOTE** it does suck the juice. Don't be surprised if you can only get about 4-5 cigars lit up out of each fill, and maybe less if you have to do a lot of relighting or burn corrections during the course of your firing-off.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Funny, I did that too, refilled with Ronson fluid... still not woking. Time for a Blazer.
Ronson fuel blows....try Vector.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

I have had better results using higher quality butane... at least triple refined. I have one that is almost three years old that still works well.

Of course, they are inexpensive and it is possible to get a bad one every now and then. Sorry you have had trouble with three of them.

And by the way, even some of the expensive ones crap out too. Hope you are able to get a good one!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
PCR
Maduro! Maduro? Maduro.

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobarbq View Post
I did learn something about butane operations from refilling mine. I am by no means a butane expert, but I have learned that if you are not getting some sidespray and/or having the main chamber unit get very cold, you are probably not getting any fuel down inside the unit. You just think you are filling it, but you aren't-it isn't working. I think their input valve is not the same as it used to be. I initially thought mine had crapped out too, but it almost seemed like the input valve was either defective or had something inside it plugging it up. (Maybe some wax or something they put on it at the time of manufacture to protect it during shipping?) After playing with it, you should be or begin hearing an audible hiss when it is filling up and then the "overspray" of the butane escaping from around the intake valve will start freezing your fingers, etc. That means the lighter is full, having reached maximum capacity. Immediately stop and wait a full 30 minutes before trying to ignite the lighter. If you try to immediately use it, it will not work (and you will accordingly think it has crapped out on you). That's the story on how my ordeal went; got mine about a month ago. Wasn't easy to find.
Mine's doing great now. **NOTE** it does suck the juice. Don't be surprised if you can only get about 4-5 cigars lit up out of each fill, and maybe less if you have to do a lot of relighting or burn corrections during the course of your firing-off.
Ah ha, maybe I am just going through a lot of butane and not filling correctly... time to experiment. We shall see here. Thanks everyone.
However this is a good excuse to buy another lighter.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4179

Great lighters. About $2 each delivered, when you buy 3
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
PCR
Maduro! Maduro? Maduro.

Montecristo

Maybe I'll just use my work torch...
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #11
jaycarla
Mossy Hoosier

First Name: Jay
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
jaycarla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Ronson fuel blows....try Vector.
I have about 15 Ronsons scattered all over the house, camper, and truck. Love them. Only use Vector in them. In 4 years have only had one go bad.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4179

Great lighters. About $2 each delivered, when you buy 3
Absolutely....but use Vector is those, too.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 09-19-2010, 12:41 AM   #13
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Are you able to light more cigars with vector fluid over Ronson? Simply put why is it better fluid?
Old 09-19-2010, 12:44 AM   #14
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
Are you able to light more cigars with vector fluid over Ronson? Simply put why is it better fluid?
It's the actual process of refining the fluid. Consider Ronson dirty fuel as opposed to, say, Vector which would be a super clean fuel.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:46 AM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
It's the actual process of refining the fluid. Consider Ronson dirty fuel as opposed to, say, Vector which would be a super clean fuel.
Yup...Vector is quintuple refined, and doesn't clog lighters like cheap fluid does.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:23 AM   #16
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobarbq View Post
Don't be surprised if you can only get about 4-5 cigars lit up out of each fill, and maybe less if you have to do a lot of relighting or burn corrections during the course of your firing-off.
I've seen a lot of similar comments about the Jet Lites. I don't get it. Mine are usually good for about 2-3 weeks, lighting 1-2 cigars per day.
BTW, another good refill tip: Throw the lighter in the freezer after purging for about 5 minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:43 AM   #17
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

May I ask what is purging? Never done this with any lighter I've had.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #18
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

I can go at least a week before refilling , thats toasting the foot on 2 cigars a day plus I smoke cigarettes. Sounds like you may not be getting a good fill on them. I use Ronson fuel in mine and haven't had a problem except for every once in a while the burner seems to clog and I take the can of fuel put the nozzle against the burner and blast it for a second....let it sit for a while and it good as new. I think it was Bobarian that told about this. Also I found if you take out the little screw on the bottom you can remove the brass clip around the adjustment screw and get a larger flame.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:19 AM   #19
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycarla View Post
I have about 15 Ronsons scattered all over the house, camper, and truck. Love them. Only use Vector in them. In 4 years have only had one go bad.
Most reliable lighter I have ever used! Nothing but Vector in my house.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #20
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

First Name: Nick
Trading: (33)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Montano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I'm going to get my lawn chair and some popcorn