Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which option should I take?
Take the internship NOW (2nd Junior Internship) 16 59.26%
Go for the internship LATER (Senior Internship) 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation
Default Need help making a BIG decision. Please...

Backstory - I'm in college. I got delayed a year at school due to an advising screwup. (IE. I was missing 1 class going into Senior Design, and they wouldn't let me continue without that 1 class). So I'm doing 2 terms this year to complete that one class and basically finish up everything else except 3 senior classes and the 3 senior design classes, which I will do next year part time at 6 credit hours per term for 3 terms.

That leaves a gap during spring term of this year.

I belong to an Internship Program that grants students internships. They are 6 month internships. I have completed 1 of these internships, and we are allowed and required 2 total.

Option A: Take a 2nd Junior level internship to fill the gap this year. It would go from Spring 09 through Summer for 6 months. I would make ~ 17 to 20$ an hour and be guaranteed a job for 6 months. This will require getting approval through a formal meeting.

Option B: Decline the second Junior Internship. Finish the 2 terms this year. Finish the 3 terms next year. Graduate, then do a Senior Internship from Summer 2010 through Fall 2010. I would make ~20 to 24$ an hour and be guaranteed a job for 6 months, as well as possibly having the option to continue working there after the internship is over, as I'll be graduated and needing a job.

The dilemma: I'm getting married this coming summer. This was planned into the works before I got screwed by my advisor, so the delay was a serious setback. The income from Option A would be seriously beneficial to the wedding as it'd be happening before the wedding.

Another thing to consider is the gap between Spring 09 and Fall 09 will trigger me to have to pay loans back at about 150$ a month or so. This will happen regardless of which option I take. That's about 900$ of expenses.

Another dilemma is car payments/phone/insurance... That is until student loans kick back in in the fall.

All this can be paid with a decent paying job (~10$ an hour), but I would NEED a job or... well lets just say I'd need a job... and with the economy in it's current position makes me worried.

So... to recap.

2nd Junior Internship
Take the safe route. Earn less money, make payments, help pay for the wedding. Leaves myself open after graduation for any company I might meet during Senior year. But I'd have to get approval prior to taking this option.

1st Senior Internship
Take the risky route. Earn more money later that could be put towards a house. Earn better experience for resume material. Possibly have the option of it leading to a full time employment in a rough economy. Possibly less budget for the wedding or a smaller honeymoon.

Please offer some advice..... I see benefits and serious flaws with both options

EDIT TO ADD: I'm in Computer Engineering. Forgot to even add my major.

Last edited by JE3146; 11-02-2008 at 01:50 PM.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
Resipsa

Default Re: Need help making a BIG decision. Please...

You lost me somewhere with Option B. If the internship is. Required to graduate, how in option B do. you graduate, then do the internship? Or maybe I'm reading that wrong?
Old 11-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
You lost me somewhere with Option B. If the internship is. Required to graduate, how in option B do. you graduate, then do the internship? Or maybe I'm reading that wrong?
It's not required to graduate. It's a program separate to my school program that I signed up for that runs parallel. I had to go through interviews to get in it... fill out applications... etc. It was a long drawn out experience, and out of like 500 applicants, only like 25 make it.

I signed a contract to fulfill the obligation though. I'm not really sure what they could do to enforce it really... but there really is no reason not to... I mean it's a job and makes good money.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

I picked option B because I like the possibility of a job offer after the internship in the current market. I don't see why this is referred to as the "risky option" though. What makes it risky?
Old 11-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning9191 View Post
I picked option B because I like the possibility of a job offer after the internship in the current market. I don't see why this is referred to as the "risky option" though. What makes it risky?
If I can't secure a job this spring, I can't make payments.

There's no guarantee I'll find a job, whereas Option A is guaranteed pending approval of the meeting.

Thus... Option B is 'riskier'

I've been dwelling over this decision for 2 weeks and have to make up my mind by tomorrow. I tried to list every last detail, pro, & con I can think of.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I say take the risky route. I too am in a computer field. Computer people are in high demand right now. If you were in a manufacturing field, I would take the safer route.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I say take the risky route. I too am in a computer field. Computer people are in high demand right now. If you were in a manufacturing field, I would take the safer route.
The odds of me getting a job in my technical field this spring are slim to none as most companies in the pacific northwest that even offer internships belong to this program called MECOP (The program I'm in). Everything from Intel to Boeing.

And I'd be competing for an job with the 'interns' that would be just starting their Junior Internships. I know this from experience because every company I applied to a few years back for an Internship told me to go join the program. So I did, and I got a job lol.

So I'd most likely be reduced to some production line job or... something. The bonus is I wouldn't be fighting the high schoolers for summer work, as I'd be starting in Spring. So the odds of getting a job PERIOD are in my favor substantially.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
shaggy
just pokin around.....

Trading: (4)
Bolivar
shaggy will become famous soon enough

i would go with option b and scale back the wedding stuff if at all possible. tough times now may work to your favour later when you get a foot in on a full time job thro the internship
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

I would take option B, the possibility that you will get hired after the internship is a big selling point. I did an internship which led to me coming back as a seasonal park ranger and that has possibly led to a full time position at the end of the year.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Can you defer your loans for 6 months or so...I know it was an option. Not sure if it still is, but I know that when my dad graduated he deferred payment for 6 months after he graduated.
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
Can you defer your loans for 6 months or so...I know it was an option. Not sure if it still is, but I know that when my dad graduated he deferred payment for 6 months after he graduated.
The 6 month period is still around, but I burned the 6 month grace period on my first internship.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Seems to me a job is a huge priority given the economic situation so I'd pick the one that increases those odds. After you get married what will your wife be doing? Who is paying for the wedding/honeymoon?
Old 11-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #13
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Is there any way you can do both internships? I'd think that would be the preferable option. If not, take the Jr year internship and earn some green for cigars before the wedding. Look for a job after you finish, but also look at other internships as well, if the program does not support it. You might also find that the place you are interning at for the Jr year one wants you to come back, especially if you do a good job and let them know that you will be available in the not too distant future.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #14
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
Seems to me a job is a huge priority given the economic situation so I'd pick the one that increases those odds. After you get married what will your wife be doing? Who is paying for the wedding/honeymoon?
She's currently has a Human Services degree (BS), and is currently working as a CNA as a temporary position until either she follows the hospital paid program (1 year course) to become an RN, or find a job in her career field (HR, Social Services, etc). So we have 1 income currently, which isn't 'half bad'. She's paying for a chunk of the wedding (mostly just part of the honeymoon), as well as with some of my savings. Then our parents are each chipping in some money for the ceremony/reception. It's not going to be an extravagant wedding by any means, but it's all we have to work with.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #15
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
Is there any way you can do both internships? I'd think that would be the preferable option. If not, take the Jr year internship and earn some green for cigars before the wedding. Look for a job after you finish, but also look at other internships as well, if the program does not support it. You might also find that the place you are interning at for the Jr year one wants you to come back, especially if you do a good job and let them know that you will be available in the not too distant future.
To be honest, I'm going to the meeting with that plan of attack, but I wanted this decision made in case it's not an option. I've never heard of it being done, and I do not know if they'd accommodate it, but I had planned on trying regardless of my decision.

And I've tried to go back to the original one, but the problem is they budget for internships so far in advance that I'd of had to request this last year, back when I thought things were still 'as planned'
Old 11-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #16
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

I'd take the senior internship. Like everyone else said, it sets you up better for a long-term career. Right now that seems pretty important.

With regards to your payments, is there some way you can take part-time classes in the spring just to delay the payments? Maybe find something that would look good on your resume, or do what I did and take a wine tasting course.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #17
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
I'd take the senior internship. Like everyone else said, it sets you up better for a long-term career. Right now that seems pretty important.

With regards to your payments, is there some way you can take part-time classes in the spring just to delay the payments? Maybe find something that would look good on your resume, or do what I did and take a wine tasting course.
The 150$ a month for loan payments are dwarfed by the car payments/insurance/CC payments/ phone bill.. etc.

Sadly the loan payments are the least of my worries. It's the rest that worry me. (Just to clarify)
Old 11-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #18
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Jordan, here is my for what its worth. My brother did something similar to what your first option entails. At the end of the "internship" the company he worked for offered him a full-time position and offered to pay for his school if he continued to go part-time until he graduated. He decided to take the job and still works there while they pay for his school. Granted the salary he is/was making is not as much as he will make when he actually has the degree, but he makes enough for his house and bills with money left over. Not sure if that make anything any easier, but I figured I would throw that out there.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #19
Sailchaser
Black Ops-SOB

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
HUpmann CoastGuard
Sailchaser has disabled reputation

The guidance that you need will come from with in, also I always write down all the pro and cons and make the decision from there . Best of luck with your chocies
Old 11-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #20
Sailkat
Smooth sailing

First Name: Kat
Trading: (5)
Sailkat has a spectacular aura aboutSailkat has a spectacular aura about

I think I would opt for option A. A good way to gain some experience (and make some money) when you have a break. Who knows, with the lighter schedule you have when you return, they may be able to keep you on part time. If you do a good job, they may even offer to pay for you to finish school and keep you on.

I'm sure which ever direction you choose....you will do well. Make a choice and don't look back.
Sailkat is offline   Reply With Quote