Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #1
CW Piperman
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
CW Piperman is on a distinguished road
Default Pushing the Seasoning

Hi all,

So I bit the bullet, and graduated from my Pelikan 1500 case with cedar trays (the Pelidor) and a cedar Boveda holder for 2 69% Boveda packs to a brand, spankin' new NewAir CC-300H wineador. Set it up, and started seasoning with Boveda 84% packs as instructed by both NA and Boveda (300 realistic cigars / 25 cigars/pack = 12 60gm 84% packs. Started seasoning about a week ago, and everything was going well, up to about 83.5% sustained as measured by 2 SensorPush calibrated (via Boveda calibration kit) hygrometers at a nice constant 67.5F. Over the last 3 days, the humidity started to drop slowly, even tho it was never opened and Boveda reccommends not opening the NewAir for 2 weeks of seasoning. I had a feeling I knew what was going on, and, sure enough, biting the bullet and opening it found the Boveda packs still flexible, but starting to get "crunchy". Not wanting to screw things up, I soaked a sponge in distilled water and only wrung it slightly, and added it to the fray. Today, I noted that the humidity won't go above 70%, but is up a little, down a little, up a little...you get the picture.

My next trick was to fill the little seasoning reservoir that NewAir provided and place it in the winador as well. We'll see how that goes. I have been leaving the Bovedas in there, as I reasoned that they won't begin to suck humidity out of the air until it hits 84%, so they are not going to be a drag on the liquid.

Advice? I'm thinking that thing's going to need more than 12 Bovedas to keep it to my preferred humidity of 65% (listen to me...I have a preferred humidity....I've been smoking cigars for like 2 months....). I really don't want to season forever, if only because it's so hot around here right now (and we have no AC) it's hard to keep my Pelidor cool enough. I am not worried about beetles, however, as I hit the sticky here at CA and took the precautionary step of freezing all of my 50 cigar stash at -12F for 117 hours.....I'm guessing no more beetle worry. However, I would like to use my wineador at some point......

Thanks for the help?

CW