Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Perdomo habano corojo robusto

This 5 x 52 Perdomo Habano with the Nicaraguan binder and filler has a dark Corojo wrapper with quite a lot of veins. The construction feels good; I could not detect any soft spots. The cigar band is quite big for a cigar this size and the foot is protected by another small band which says “Corojo”. The cigar is packed in cellophane. Once released from the cellophane I could smell a barnyard odor coming from the cigar. When I cut the cigar with my palio, the wrapper cracked. Fortunately I could still smoke the cigar without having to deal with sucking in false air. The predraw was just fine and left me with a flavor of raisin on the lips.

Lighting this cigar with my blazer torch was quite hard, harder than most cigars. The first puffs leave a slightly bitter coffee flavor on my palate and just after a few puffs I could taste some light pepper too. After half an inch the coffee fades away, but the bitterness stays combined with some wood. The bitterness fades away slowly and I could also discover some chocolate.

took this pic because I got a few remarks from people that they would recognize my hands by now, and wondered what I looked like

The coffee makes a comeback at about a third of the cigar until I reach the middle of the cigar. There I noticed that the flavors grew stronger and the smoke gets a bit thicker. The coffee disappears again and the woody flavors are back. The structure of the smoke is a bit creamy. The last third brings me some chocolate as an extra flavor next to the wood, and close to the turning point there is some noticeable black pepper too.

The burn was straight as an arrow in the first part, but then it got pretty crooked to the point where I had to correct. The smoke was medium to thin in the beginning but became fuller towards the end. At the 2/3rd point the wrapper cracked completely open. I consider this a mild to medium bodied cigar with a mild to medium strong flavor palate.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, I did like the last part of the cigar, but the road to the good part goes through too much harshness to make this a recurring smoke.

Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Appearance: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 6 / 10
Burn: 6 / 10
Aroma (first part) 5 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 6 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10
Old 03-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Re: Perdomo habano corojo robusto

thanks for the review. I have had very similar experiences with this cigar.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Excellent review, Sir. Thank you for taking the time to present this.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

i deff. enjoy the maduro more than the Corojo. give it a whirl my friend you might be surprised!
Old 03-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
AllOGistics

I just reviewed this cigar today for Tom. I had the EXACT same problem with the cigar. I found the flavor near the end to be good, but it really wasn't worth fighting a flaking wrapper.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
thanks for the review. I have had very similar experiences with this cigar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOGistics View Post
I just reviewed this cigar today for Tom. I had the EXACT same problem with the cigar. I found the flavor near the end to be good, but it really wasn't worth fighting a flaking wrapper.
I am happy to read this, not because you guys had problems too, but to read that I wasn't the only one with the problems so it wasn't my fault.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
AllOGistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I am happy to read this, not because you guys had problems too, but to read that I wasn't the only one with the problems so it wasn't my fault.
Yeah, I thought the same thing when I read your review. I was a little worried that it may of been something I did. I was thinking about trying another soon just to see if it was the cigar or me, but now I think that I know the answer after hearing from a few people. After I finished the review and saw your post, I looked around and saw that the reviewer at Stogie Guys had burn issues as well. I also have to review the Habano natural. It will be interesting to see if it is strictly wrapper related or is the cigar as a whole.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:54 AM   #8
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

I have the lot 23 to review, maybe I will smoke that one today to see if that one has burning issues.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #9
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

you will like the lot 23 better probably... even though i personally prefer the habano. the lot 23 is super chocolate-y
Old 03-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

I love chocolaty smokes didn't light the Lot 23 today, decided to go for something else and I may have made a bad choice (review of the Oliveiros XL for men which I smoked today will be posted later)
Old 03-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

I agree w/ s15. Try the habano maddy, it's quite a bit better than the corojo IMO. I have yet to try the Lot 23's. For some reason, my B&M seems to only carry the natural, and I really want to try the maddy first. Oh well, another time perhaps.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the review, Don. I've smoked one of these, but in a larger size, toro I think. I thought it was a very good blend and had no problems at all with it. Also tried the maduro wrapper, it was OK but nothing I would seek out again.

EDIT: Is it just me or does Don Fernando look kinda like Jonathan Drew?
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Very nice review!!!

Great pics!!!

I have to try this one now!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #14
Smoking Dragon
formerly sergeant smoky

First Name: John
Trading: (67)
Cohiba Army (Disabled Vet)
Smoking Dragon has a spectacular aura aboutSmoking Dragon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
i deff. enjoy the maduro more than the Corojo. give it a whirl my friend you might be surprised!
Smoking Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #15
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

Good review. I love these corjos. I haven't had the wrapper issues, but I let them rest for quite awhile, and perhaps that helps.
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #16
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

I have always liked this cigar I usually prefer the torpedo shape, and have never had a problem with any of the wrappers. I find the wrapper spicy but not overpowering, and wish there was more stuff available with the corojo wrapper.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #17
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Thanks for a great review Ferdie.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #18
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Nice review and more importantly... nice hat!
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote