Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 01-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #221
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: Modern Warfare 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#2 View Post
I have a question about that: does connection speed matter? It looks like they try to match ping time so I assume everyone in the game is equal. Of course, I have no idea what happens when playing in a group.

Tonight is the first time I have experienced any sort of lag and others on the game were complaining so I assume it was a host issue.
Connection does matter. I have not seen to many bad connections that actually created lag in MW3 though. I have only have a handfull of matches that I experienced any lag.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #222
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I have a question about that: does connection speed matter? It looks like they try to match ping time so I assume everyone in the game is equal. Of course, I have no idea what happens when playing in a group.

Tonight is the first time I have experienced any sort of lag and others on the game were complaining so I assume it was a host issue.
I read somewhere (it might have been in this thread) that those with faster internet connections were somehow penalized in this game compared to those with slower connections. I don't know if that's true or not.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #223
montecristo#2
Don't Taze me Bro!

Trading: (49)
Cohiba
montecristo#2 will become famous soon enough

Yeh, I was just wondering if there is a difference between let's say DSL and Cable Internet? I know cable is 5 to 10 times faster for some people, wondering if that is an advantage?
montecristo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #224
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Yeh, I was just wondering if there is a difference between let's say DSL and Cable Internet? I know cable is 5 to 10 times faster for some people, wondering if that is an advantage?
Connection does matter quite a bit in online games, but more so in non dedicated servers. Games where there is a host such as MW3 the persons entire internet connection matters (download, upload, and ping). Their connection might be fine and dandy in the lobby, but once you enter the game, the amount of people might overload their already crappy connection and cause everyone to lag versus just the one person with bad connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I read somewhere (it might have been in this thread) that those with faster internet connections were somehow penalized in this game compared to those with slower connections. I don't know if that's true or not.
Yes and no. Faster internet = better registry, less lag time for your bullets. When a person lags and your shooting them, it has to compensate for that and that's where MW3 kind of slacks in my opinion. The person with slower connection will eventually stabilize faster than the time for your bullets register where it actually shot due to compensation. So he'll probably fire at you before your bullets hit. That being said their bullets must also compensate for their poor latency so it's a lose lose for them.
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #225
Hem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bill
Trading: (13)
Partagas
Hem will become famous soon enough

I don't want to thread hijack but if you guys want to add me on Xbox Live my gamertag is: HEMorrhage

I'd love to play some MW3 with some bad ash cigar smokin' mo fo's!
Hem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #226
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hem View Post
I don't want to thread hijack but if you guys want to add me on Xbox Live my gamertag is: HEMorrhage

I'd love to play some MW3 with some bad ash cigar smokin' mo fo's!
Not a thread jack brother, that's what this thread is about. MW3.
GT: Blak Smyth

Should be online tonight!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #227
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

2 new maps coming for multi-player on the 24th of this month Piazza and Liberation. Liberation will be set in Central Park NY with long sight lines for snipers and more methodical COD players whereas Piazza will be set in Italy and will be geared towards the "run n gun" style players.

I'm hoping they will be released for both consoles at the same time. I always hate having to wait.
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #228
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
2 new maps coming for multi-player on the 24th of this month Piazza and Liberation. Liberation will be set in Central Park NY with long sight lines for snipers and more methodical COD players whereas Piazza will be set in Italy and will be geared towards the "run n gun" style players.

I'm hoping they will be released for both consoles at the same time. I always hate having to wait.
Nice, I purchased the COD Elite Premium so all my MW3 DLC is paid for forever (Well an annual fee)! There was talk about releasing DLC every month for 9 months after they get going.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #229
Hem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bill
Trading: (13)
Partagas
Hem will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I love the tactical side of the game (guess it's ingrained in my head from work)
I HATE the 5 year olds that come running with the silenced MP5 all over the map with no cover and kill me.
Hem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #230
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

VR

Quote:
I love the tactical side of the game (guess it's ingrained in my head from work)
I HATE the 5 year olds that come running with the silenced MP5 all over the map with no cover and kill me.
That's the way I play it as well. I love actually putting myself into the game and trying to play it tactically to maximize my chances of survival. I don't always get the highest kill-counts but I usually get the fewest deaths and have pretty good KD ratio
Old 01-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #231
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

That's why I play CTF. It is the only game type I don't find many people playing other than to win!
Most of my friends play TDM or Dom but there are always people running around goofing off and not caring if they win or lose, that drives me nuts. I don't have fun losing.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #232
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Tyr, what is your online name?

There are 7 Lascivious prefixs.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #233
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

VR

Ha! I'm on PSN and I believe you're on Xbox but if you ever play on PS3 I'm Lascivious777. PSN wouldn't let me have LasciviousXXX for some reason...
Old 01-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #234
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Ha! I'm on PSN and I believe you're on Xbox but if you ever play on PS3 I'm Lascivious777. PSN wouldn't let me have LasciviousXXX for some reason...
Yah I was looking you up on COD Elite to see if I could check out a PS3 player. It doesn't come up so I guess they don't have Elite for PS3?

I can't find HEM either though: HEMorrhage?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #235
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

VR

Yeah I'm on Elite for PS3. I'm only in the middle of my first Prestige right now as I don't have a heck of a lot of time to play but damn is it fun
Old 01-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #236
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Yeah I'm on Elite for PS3. I'm only in the middle of my first Prestige right now as I don't have a heck of a lot of time to play but damn is it fun
I am only on my first prestige as well. I don't play all the time, but I do enjoy playing with a solid team. I love to take the lead and come up with a game plan, very rewarding when it works.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #237
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucubed View Post
Connection does matter quite a bit in online games, but more so in non dedicated servers....

Yes and no. Faster internet = better registry, less lag time for your bullets. When a person lags and your shooting them, it has to compensate for that and that's where MW3 kind of slacks in my opinion. The person with slower connection will eventually stabilize faster than the time for your bullets register where it actually shot due to compensation. So he'll probably fire at you before your bullets hit. That being said their bullets must also compensate for their poor latency so it's a lose lose for them.
I don't think that's quite how synthetic lag works. The idea for the host and a couple geographically nearby by people with good ISP connections trucking everyone else isn't very appealing to the masses. The host's ping (or more accurately his latency) is 0 milliseconds. People within 150 miles and good ISPs can hang in the low 30-40ms range. Folks outside that no matter what ISP (well almost) will be usually double that; 60-70ms with good ISP, or 120ms+ if on an average ISP. The guy who's 3,000 miles away with an average ISP could be well over 200ms.

The idea or synthetic lag or as MW3 coins it "lag compensation" is to force a minimum amount of lag for everyone. I'm sure their concept of compensation is further reaching than that, to account for the factors already mentioned with physics within the game. However, most any game will force a minimum lag just to level the playing field. Having a low latency like 30-40ms is a big advantage for an average player. It's HUGE for a good player. Having no latency (hosting) is even greater of an advantage.

While it would appear that lag compensation would eliminate this advantage, it doesn't do so completely. The people who have low latency, say below 70, will have their's bumped to a flat level where it will stay. Lets use 100 as the base. However, latenacy isn't static, it fluctuates. So if your latency is 70ms and it is adjusted by compensation to 100, you'll always be at 100ms. Even if your lag increases to 80 or 90, it will only adjust you to that 100ms level. This give one important thing, predictability. Those who's latency is above that 100ms line in the sand will fluctuate usually within a 20-50ms range. It will be more difficult for them to adjust. So there's still an advantage for the host and certain others, but lag compensation helps level the field.

BTW, this is not a new concept. PC games have been using similar technology for over 10 years.

Quote:
Sorry. I sometimes get bored (lack of action) and resort to my old PC gaming days when FPS weren't tactical at all. It was all about speed. I can do circles around people in CQB. Especially with the PM90 with rapid fire but my K/D ratio takes a pounding. That weapon has no range or hitting power at all.

Lately however I've grown to like the ACR 6.8 and a more deliberate approach.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #238
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

You can set your own designated host connection, don't know how, but some friends of mine did it and said it makes a huge difference.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #239
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

There needs to be lobbies for crappy players only, such as myself. I'm tired of getting my @ss handed to me by guys who are on there third prestige and up. I've improved my KDR from .13 to .21 over the last few days, but I still suck. I get so mad, but it's too addictive to put down.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #240
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
There needs to be lobbies for crappy players only, such as myself. I'm tired of getting my @ss handed to me by guys who are on there third prestige and up. I've improved my KDR from .13 to .21 over the last few days, but I still suck. I get so mad, but it's too addictive to put down.
I feel for you Andy...been there, done that. I'm looking to get my system and---up and running in the next month or 2.
We could make our own "Special Education Squad"---S.E.S. for specially challenged players.

Does this look like a good deal? Here

Thanks for any advice.